PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else prohibited from exercising for what seems like an eternity?

gobears
November 26th, 2007, 05:27 PM
Hi--

Has anyone else out there had a medical condition that forced them to forgo any kind of exercise for a prolonged period of time? I was really getting back into swimming when I had a bad side-effect from the birth control pills my OB put me on in the Spring. I was hospitalized with a pulmonary embolism 2 1/2 weeks ago. Now I'm on blood thinners and they're trying to stabilize my levels so I'm told I shouldn't exercise at all until that's done. It's about to drive me insane. I haven't stopped exercising for over a few days since before high-school (25 years ago).

I'm so tempted to just get in the water and swim easy but don't want to do anything stupid. Guess I just wondered if there are any others out there who survived an exercise lay-off and the resulting decrease in conditioning (and increase in crankiness). :)

The Fortress
November 26th, 2007, 06:06 PM
Sounds awful!!! I hope you get better soon.

I was on bedrest for about half of my last pregnancy. Not that I would have been performing athletic feats, but I HATED it! Couldn't even walk around much. The days passed very slowly ... cranky from inactibity. You'll get through it. But don't risk your health. You'll be back in shape soon enough. Hang in there!

gobears
November 26th, 2007, 08:08 PM
OK, Fortress--that beats me by a lot. Guess I'll quit whining until I've been on bedrest for a couple of months :eek:

Good to hear you survived the experience and are back to training. I just hate to see what fitness gains I had made slip slowly away... It'll be that much more fun to get myself back up to speed, right?!

Thanks.

slknight
November 26th, 2007, 09:38 PM
I survived 26 weeks of restricted activity and bedrest when I was pregnant. I was not even allowed to walk around the block. It absolutely sucked and is one of the primary reasons I only have one child. Of course after I was let off of bedrest, I wasn't exactly exercising a ton since I had a c/s and a newborn. :shakeshead:

I hope your time passes quickly! Did they test you for any clotting disorders? I have a clotting disorder and know that I can't ever take the pill.

Leonard Jansen
November 27th, 2007, 08:49 AM
I spent 10 weeks in a hospital bed and 10 months on crutches following an unexpected trip down the stairs in the middle of the night. The recovery was the reason that I learned to swim. I took "comfort" from a section in the book "Zen in the Martial Arts" where Bruce Lee was talking about using his handicap (one leg considerably shorter than the other) to be a strength as it dictated certain types of fighting stances that he perfected instead of fretting about his handicap.

You do the same. If your doctor will let you, do some things like stretching and shoulder strengthening that will serve you when you get back in the water. "Perfect" those while you wait for what you would normally do and I bet that your swimming will benefit.

Best of luck.

-LBJ

Warren
November 27th, 2007, 10:13 AM
I havn't practiced since the gmu sprint classic. I'm going to start training for the albatross meet in mid december. Its going to suck getting started back up again becasue im a little out of shape and when im out of shape I cant even make it through the warm up without getting tired. :drown:

pwolf66
November 27th, 2007, 10:30 AM
Warren, I STILL can't make thru the w/u without being tired. :mooning:

Paul

swimshark
November 27th, 2007, 04:24 PM
Leonard, ouch. I'm glad it lead you to swimming, though.

I found out I was pregnant in Aug (in 2004) and was immediately told no more than 1 hour at a time, 3 times a week. Then it went down to 30 min for a while and the last 6 weeks I was down to no exercise at all. Then I did 6 weeks of recovery from a c-section. It was a total of about 11 weeks out. I hated every minute of it but it's gone now.

I hope your time goes by quickly and you can get back in the water soon.

Alison

gobears
November 27th, 2007, 10:13 PM
Thanks All!

I'll try to suck it up and realize it's not forever. AND try to focus on being productive in other ways. Good to hear others have survived the exercise drought. Feel like a slug, but maybe that's alright now and then...

Treebox
November 28th, 2007, 10:20 AM
LBJ-

I also took an unplanned trip down a flight of stairs in the middle of the night, 2 years ago. I was pretty banged up with a concussion, 3 facial fractures and a ruptured sinus. I had to stay out of the pool for 2 months. It was chomping at the bit to get back in the water. The good news was that I kept the weight off since all I could eat was soup.

Tree