PDA

View Full Version : swimming watches

Sylvia
November 26th, 2007, 09:40 PM
Can any of you recommend swimming watches that one can easily see and manipulate that you could keep track of your distance, laps, etc.?

Slowswim
November 27th, 2007, 02:58 PM
Can any of you recommend swimming watches that one can easily see and manipulate that you could keep track of your distance, laps, etc.?

I've been using the Ironman watches for years. They have several styles with lots of options. Any sports store should give you a watch that fits what you want.

I love mine http://www.roadrunnersports.com/rrs/products/TMX166/. Check out the site they have watches from $50 on up.

ALM
November 27th, 2007, 04:16 PM
I just bought a Timex Ironman at Target for $12.99. Actually, I went back and bought a second one because they were such a good deal. I've used them for years and they're practically indestructible.

What finally happens to them is, eventually the chlorine from the pool builds up under the buttons and they get hard to push. This usually doesn't happen until I'm on about my 4th watch band... They're great watches.

Anna Lea

Slowswim
November 27th, 2007, 04:24 PM
What finally happens to them is, eventually the chlorine from the pool builds up under the buttons and they get hard to push.

The rubber on the start button wore off mine, but it still works. True the buttons are getting hard to push. I'm headed for Target tonight! Thx

PS: Can you wear a watch in a swim meet?

ALM
November 27th, 2007, 04:45 PM
At Target the $12.99 watches were in a special display on a counter. There weren't very many of them and I think they were the older Ironman styles (which are still fine with me). They also have the newer styles but they're more like $25.00 - $50.00.

As far as wearing a watch, here is what the Rule Book says:

102.15.9—Swimmers are not permitted to wear or use any device or substance to help their speed, pace or buoyancy during a race. Goggles may be worn and rubdown oil applied if not considered excessive by the referee.

Anna Lea

Slowswim
November 27th, 2007, 04:55 PM
At Target the $12.99 watches were in a special display on a counter. There weren't very many of them and I think they were the older Ironman styles (which are still fine with me). They also have the newer styles but they're more like $25.00 - $50.00.

As far as wearing a watch, here is what the Rule Book says:

Anna Lea

Older style is fine. I like the flic so in the dark it lights up with a flick of your wrist.

Thanx for the rule, but is that a yes or no? Unless its one of those that beeps a pace, how does it violate the rule?

Rubdown oil? :groovy: These meets are getting more interesting every minute.

Jeff Commings
November 27th, 2007, 05:47 PM
I was at a meet recently where a number of people -- more than five, less than 10 -- were wearing watches during their races. A couple of them were in lane one next to the starter and referee, but they were never called on it.

I think you should ask the ref at the meet what they are going to do if you wear a watch. I think it, like many rules (breaststroke kick), are being enforced sporadically.

Back to the topic, I'm sad Speedo stopped making the watch they made in the late 1990s. Though it was a bit big, it was great for pacing stroke rate and distance per stroke for fly, back and free. You push a button and it records your time and how many strokes you took (measured by a sensor on the watch).

I think they stopped making them because it was expensive when it launched ($300), but it was a nice product that would probably help a lot of masters swimmers. Now, they just have "regular" watches.

ALM
December 5th, 2007, 11:42 PM
New information regarding wearing watches at swim meets...

This came from the Pacific Masters e-newsletter dated 12/4/07:

PACING DEVICES

USMS Swimmer Info Incorrect

In the USMS Swimmer (magazine) there is a quote "Since a wristwatch can be used as a pacing device it is illegal to wear one while racing"- That information is INCORRECT!!!!

Bruce Stratton, Chair of the USA Swimming Rules and Regulations Committee, issued the following interpretation regarding swimmers wearing watches during competition, "Watches are not necessarily pacing devices and each case must be decided on its own merits."

Swimmer Bill
December 6th, 2007, 07:35 PM
Wow, that message makes it sound like the magazine told people to swim naked!

(I think we need to lean off the ALL-CAPS button next time).

cdrcld
December 6th, 2007, 08:30 PM
The best thing to do is to use the pace clock at your pool to help you keep pace. Most notable advantages include: 1) You don't have to stop or break your stroke to look at your wrist. 2) It's bigger and easier to see through foggy goggles than a little watch.

smontanaro
December 6th, 2007, 10:22 PM
The best thing to do is to use the pace clock at your pool to help you keep pace.

Amen. At UIC's pool they have digital pace clocks in all four corners of their long course pool. You can easily see a clock coming off either wall no matter which way you turn to breathe. I haven't been in that pool when it was set up short course in a few years, but I suspect it would work there as well, though better when breathing on one side than the other.

In contrast, at Northwestern they have three pace clocks along one long side of the pool and nothing on the other side. Seeing a clock can be problematic. When you're swimming short course side-to-side (as we almost always do), not oriented lengthwise between the bulkheads, the clock might be right behind you or you might have to look up to see it. Not a good setup in my opinion.

Sorry about the thread hijack...

Skip Montanaro

ALM
December 6th, 2007, 11:29 PM
Wow, that message makes it sound like the magazine told people to swim naked!

(I think we need to lean off the ALL-CAPS button next time).

Ha, ha! Just for the record, I didn't add the ALL-CAPS emphasis. I cut and pasted directly from their newsletter.

Anna Lea

Swimmer Bill
December 7th, 2007, 08:38 PM
LOL, I knew that couldn't've been you.

Is couldn't've even a word?

But seriously, seeing the humor is one thing - providing the most up-to-date information is another. There will be a letter in Jan./Feb. on the topic, and we're hoping a little more Q & A about it in March/April.

Stay tuned...

:bouncing: