PDA

View Full Version : Different types of kicks

Sylvia
November 26th, 2007, 09:44 PM
Can any of you recommend a site where one can view a dolphin kick and other types of kicks with narratives to describe the proper way to do them?

I ecently purchased a pair of Force Fins (slim fit) and think I'm going to love them for a good workout, but want to learn how best to use them. I've been told that they are good of course for the freestyle, and when you use them on your back, you should do the dolphin kick?

Anyone have experience with these fins? They were very expensive, but I had done a lot of research on them, and they had a really good reputation and explanation on why these might be the best.:groovy:

Sylvia
November 30th, 2007, 02:52 PM
I feel dumb now. I am replying to my own message. Since I was never on a team, and just grew up in Phoenix, AZ swimming and love it, and have returned to lap swimming as an adult (older adult), I am swimming every day and loving it. I never had instruction other than when I was 6 years old and was first taught to swim. So, never learned the "proper" terminololgy. So, I'm guessing a flutter kick is just the kick one uses when swimming freestyle? Never was taught the dolphin kick, but love the looks of it, and that's why I have questions. Is it better to learn the dolphin kick with fins on or off? Have mastered the kick turn, and am quite proud of it. I swim for an hour nonstop every day. Anyhow, is this the wrong site to ask these kind of questions? Is this site mainly for only team/competitive swimmers?

poolraat
November 30th, 2007, 04:28 PM
... Since I was never on a team, and just grew up in Phoenix, AZ swimming and love it, and have returned to lap swimming as an adult (older adult), I am swimming every day and loving it. I never had instruction other than when I was 6 years old and was first taught to swim. So, never learned the "proper" terminololgy. So, I'm guessing a flutter kick is just the kick one uses when swimming freestyle? Never was taught the dolphin kick, but love the looks of it, and that's why I have questions. Is it better to learn the dolphin kick with fins on or off? Have mastered the kick turn, and am quite proud of it. I swim for an hour nonstop every day. Anyhow, is this the wrong site to ask these kind of questions? Is this site mainly for only team/competitive swimmers?

Like you I never swam on a team. I started swimming as an adult mainly to lose weight and get in better shape. Yor're right in assuming the flutter kick is the kick one uses to swim freestyle or the front crawl (and back crawl). It's just a basic alternating kick. The dolphin kick is another story. I really struggled with it at first, I could do the motion but didn't seem to get any propulsion from it. Then, suddenly I "got" it and it became easy to do and I could dolphin kick as fast or faster than I coud flutter kick. I think if you use fins it will help, that's how I learned the fly. Just don't get dependent on them. Use them to get a feel for the kick then take them off and do it.

ALM
November 30th, 2007, 04:58 PM
I never had instruction other than when I was 6 years old and was first taught to swim. So, never learned the "proper" terminology.

Sylvia, the best answers to a lot of your questions can be found in the USMS Swimmer magazine, the official publication of USMS. Are you a USMS member? If not, I would strongly suggest that you join. NOW is the best time of year to join; it's the beginning of our 2008 registration year. If you register in December, your magazine subscription will begin with the March/April issue.

Go to this page on the USMS web site and click on the map to find your local registrar: http://www.usms.org/reg/

Anyhow, is this the wrong site to ask these kind of questions? Is this site mainly for only team/competitive swimmers?

No. The majority of USMS's 45,000 members do not compete in meets. While many do swim with organized groups, a large number (including many on these forums) swim on their own.

So, I'm guessing a flutter kick is just the kick one uses when swimming freestyle?

Yes, that's correct.

Never was taught the dolphin kick, but love the looks of it, and that's why I have questions. Is it better to learn the dolphin kick with fins on or off?

In another post you asked about videos. Go to the YouTube web site (www.youtube.com) and search on "dolphin kick". You'll get a whole list of video clips, including one with Olympian Misty Hyman. You can do a similar search for "flutter kick".

Have mastered the kick turn, and am quite proud of it.

Speaking of terminology, it's called a FLIP turn in swimming. (A "kick turn" is a snow-skiing term.) And again, for videos, search YouTube for the phrase "flip turn" and you'll probably find quite a few.

Anna Lea

quicksilver
November 30th, 2007, 06:48 PM
Can any of you recommend a site where one can view a dolphin kick and other types of kicks with narratives to describe the proper way to do them?

The second site has lots of good tips ...and answers to the most commonly asked questions.

Hope they help.

http://www.limmatsharks.com/fins/flossen.html
http://www.svl.ch/svlimmat_ratind.html#schwimmen

Sylvia
November 30th, 2007, 09:18 PM
What is the fly?

Mirabella
November 30th, 2007, 10:22 PM
Butterfly - one of the strokes.

ALM
December 1st, 2007, 12:17 AM
Sylvia, you may want to check your library to see whether they have some books on swimming. The Dewey Decimal number will be 797.21. My library has quite a few titles.

Anna Lea

Surfsalterpath
December 3rd, 2007, 06:18 PM
...you made a great decision buying the "slim fins"

I bought a pair about 10 years ago and they held up just till this past summer when my straps needed replacing only for the 3rd time. But I could not get the screw undone this time to replace(my only complaint) the strap and have not sent them back yet for repair. I do like them better than most of the other fins I've used. The tyr split fins are doing fine by me now.

If you want abdominal workout lie on your back(face up) lightly squeezing behind your ears w/ your biceps and hands overlapped pointing down pool and kick on your back. Mix up your type of kick between the dolphin(butterfly) kick and the flutter(freestyle) kick. The dolphin kick will make your abs burn!