PDA

View Full Version : SPMA SCM championships

ande
November 28th, 2007, 06:26 AM
who's going to the SPMA SCM championships this weekend at the Belmont Olympic Pool in Long Beach, CA?

ande

results
http://web1.lbgrunions.com/Meets/2007SCMC/Results.asp

psyche sheets are up!
http://web1.lbgrunions.com/Meets/2007SCMC/PsychSheets.asp

Welcome to the
http://web1.lbgrunions.com/Meets/2007SCMC/

HOSTED BY

The Long Beach Grunions

Dear Anders Rasmussen

On behalf of the Long Beach Grunions Swim Team, I’d like to take this opportunity to welcome you to the SPMA SCM championships this coming weekend at the Belmont Olympic Pool in Long Beach. It should be a great meet with 479 registered swimmers. Bring a comfortable chair and some way to pass the time; it will be a long day!

This is your final confirmation. Please review this information carefully and if you have any questions, please feel free to contact me at ken@lbgrunions.com. Please make sure and have your USMS card ready when checking in.

Name: Anders Rasmussen Gender: M

Club: TXLA

1) Meet Timeline and Psych Sheets

A meet timeline and psych sheets we be on line by Wednesday evening Go to
http://web1.lbgrunions.com/Meets/2007SCMC/ and click on the Timeline or Psych Sheets link at the top to view the details.

Friday is currently scheduled to run from 10:00 AM to 5:30 PM

Saturday is currently scheduled to run from 9:00 AM to 5:45 PM

Sunday is currently scheduled to run from 9:00 AM to 5:30 PM

Please note that these times are just our best approximation at this time.

2) Parking Passes

We will be selling all-day parking passes for $6 in the parking lot to the left (East) of the pool at the start of each day’s session. After that permits will be available inside at the check-in desk.

This is a city pass and we are selling them at cost.

3) Positive Check-In for Events

In an effort to keep the length of the meet to a minimum, we will be having positive check-in for all events. Please be sure to check-in for all your events when you arrive at the pool. Where appropriate we will be reseeding events and posting the heat sheets at least 30 minutes before each event. You will also get your program, goodie bag, and meet t-shirt when you check in upon arrival.

4) Dress Warmly

The Belmont pool building is fully enclosed, but is not heated. The weather forecast indicates that the days will be cool with slight chance of showers. Please be sure to bring plenty of warm clothing with you. Don’t worry, the pool water is heated!

5) Food and Beverages

The preliminary timeline estimates each day lasting around 8 hours. There is a food vendor on the pool deck and there are two restaurants that are within walking distance of the pool as well.

6) Relay Fees

Please note that an entry fee of $10.00 per relay team will be due upon relay registration. Cash and checks will be gladly accepted. For teams entering a large number of relays, please see Tom Boyd during the meet to arrange payment.

8) Additional Information

For more information, including Maps and Directions, Meet Regulations, and Accommodations, go to
http://web1.lbgrunions.com/Meets/2007SCMC/.

Please let us know if there is anything any of the Grunions can do to make your stay in Long Beach a good one.

See you at the pool.

Ken Brisbin

Grunions

Meet Director

quicksilver
November 28th, 2007, 10:40 AM
I see that you and Mr. Smith share many of the same events...with nearly the same times...even though different age groups.

Have a great meet! (I would say good luck, but you don't need any.)

Mswimming
November 28th, 2007, 12:07 PM
I'll be there all day sunday. 5 events plus relays.

I haven't been training all that hard lately so I am not expecting much but plan to have fun and swim some events I haven't done yet.

Kevin

Its a slow show
November 28th, 2007, 02:24 PM
This looks like a mighty fast meet. I wonder if some people put in yds. times instead of SCM. I see a 61 year old with a 2:40 for the 200 breastroke-seems mighty fast to me.

TRYM_Swimmer
November 28th, 2007, 02:59 PM
This looks like a mighty fast meet. I wonder if some people put in yds. times instead of SCM. I see a 61 year old with a 2:40 for the 200 breastroke-seems mighty fast to me.

That 61 year old is the world record holder and has done 2:24 or so SCY in the last two years, so that doesn't seem too far off.

Slimmer Bill
November 28th, 2007, 03:07 PM
I see that you and Mr. Smith share many of the same events...with nearly the same times...even though different age groups.

Have a great meet! (I would say good luck, but you don't need any.)

They're swimming M/F and all ages together though, right? Should be some great battles. Some very impressive swimmers at that meet.

Glenn
November 28th, 2007, 06:54 PM
To: It's a slow show,

You are talking about a 61 year old in the 200 breast? That's Bob Strand, World Record Holder!!! I think he holds the 50, 100 and 200 records in all venues in the 60 - 64 age group and still holds several US and World records in the 55-59 age group, and maybe even a few still in the 50 - 54. He will be inducted into the International Swimming Hall of Fame this year. And, he is up for Geezerjock of the Year.

I have the pleasure of swimming with Bob at Rose Bowl Aquatics. He is a great guy and a great competitor.

It is always a pleasure to see him in the final heat of the breastroke races next to a 20 or 30 something year old.

Glenn Gruber

JimRude
November 28th, 2007, 07:09 PM
... now I wish I would have entered :cry:

I'll have to make due with a SCM meet in Portland next weekend...

Allen Stark
November 28th, 2007, 07:13 PM
I'll be there.I hope I'll be in some heats with Bob Strand as he usually pulls me to good times(he can't push me as you have to be in front to be pushed,some day though...):bouncing:

Glenn
November 28th, 2007, 07:28 PM
I couldn't stand it, so I checked the records. Bob Strand holds the following breastroke records:

SCY (50) 50-54, 60-64 (100) 55-59, 60-64 (200) 50-54, 55-59, 60-64

SCM (50) 55-59, 60-64 (100) 50-54, 55-59, 60-64 (200) 50-54, 55-59, 60-64

LCM (50) 55-59, 60-64 (100) 55-59, 60-64 (200) 55-59, 60-64

In addition he holds the following IM records:

100IM 60-64 SCM 200IM 60-64 SCY (2:17.60)

Its a slow show
November 28th, 2007, 08:26 PM
Sounds like the toughest scm meet in the country

Jeff Commings
November 29th, 2007, 11:01 AM
I'll be there.I hope I'll be in some heats with Bob Strand as he usually pulls me to good times(he can't push me as you have to be in front to be pushed,some day though...):bouncing:

This from a guy who in another thread complained about swimming in heats with swimmers that are not in his age group.

:bolt:

Allen Stark
November 29th, 2007, 10:34 PM
You got me Jeffbut2 of every 5 years he is in my age group. Besides I was talking about Nats not Zones. Also,you have a very long memory.

CaliSwimmer
December 1st, 2007, 01:10 AM
My husband is going to swim there Saturday and Sunday. His first meet in 30 years! Woot!

knelson
December 2nd, 2007, 10:23 PM
Just checked the results and it looks like Ande had a great meet.

50 fly 26.15 (seed 26.99)
100 back 1:00.91 (seed 1:03.99)
50 free 24.69 (seed 25.09)

He was also on two Longhorn Aquatics relay teams that set National records. Nice job Ande!

Paul Smith set new National or World records in all his events!

Jeff Commings
December 3rd, 2007, 11:23 AM
Kirk, he also had an elbow problem a few weeks back that worried him. Apparently he won't let a little pain get in his way.

jim clemmons
December 3rd, 2007, 12:06 PM
Kirk, he also had an elbow problem a few weeks back that worried him. Apparently he won't let a little pain get in his way.

Paul's one of those types that thrives on pain. Like you guys.

jonblank
December 3rd, 2007, 03:27 PM
David Guthrie swam an outstanding 2:26 in the Men's 45-49 200 SCM Breaststroke. A four second drop over the previous WR!

He also set a WR in the 100 SCM BR (1:06.44) and a USMS record in the 50 SCM BR. Way to go, David!

Allen Stark
December 3rd, 2007, 04:49 PM
It was a great meet and was well run.In several womens events 3 world records were set in one heat by the usual suspects(Laura Val,KPN,and Susan van der Lippe.) Ande looks better in person than his picture,Paul looks bigger in person than his picture.Great meet.(Also I set 2 NW Zone Records in the 50 and 100 BR.I'm proud of that,but I felt like a piker with all the WRs being set. It was a REALLY fast meet.):bouncing::bouncing:

ande
December 3rd, 2007, 06:41 PM
thank you sir
I was pleased and attribute my improvements to
weight training, speed work and a longer taper

Just checked the results and it looks like Ande had a great meet.

50 fly 26.15 (seed 26.99)
100 back 1:00.91 (seed 1:03.99)
50 free 24.69 (seed 25.09)

He was also on two Longhorn Aquatics relay teams that set National records. Nice job Ande!

Paul Smith set new National or World records in all his events!

ande
December 3rd, 2007, 06:43 PM
it was wonderful to meet you Allen
congrats on your swims

Ande

It was a great meet and was well run.In several womens events 3 world records were set in one heat by the usual suspects(Laura Val,KPN,and Susan van der Lippe.) Ande looks better in person than his picture,Paul looks bigger in person than his picture.Great meet.(Also I set 2 NW Zone Records in the 50 and 100 BR.I'm proud of that,but I felt like a piker with all the WRs being set. It was a REALLY fast meet.):bouncing::bouncing:

ourswimmer
December 5th, 2007, 12:41 PM
It was indeed a very fun meet, and I swam pretty well even though I never did quite figure out the walls. I slammed my heels on the gutter at the starting end with 300m to go in the 400m free and spent the next 4 or so minutes wondering if I would ever wear shoes again. On the bright side, I didn't think so much about how bad my quads and my lungs hurt because my heels occupied all my attention.

Nice meeting the Longhorn crew and others; thanks to JM for the fine trivia contest; and way to go Manatees!

--(the other) JC

NKMD
December 5th, 2007, 10:07 PM
I have been to the SPMA SCM in the past. This year I missed the meet because the LMSC that I belong to hosted a SCM meet the same weekend. The Grunions always host awesome meets.

It was the TYR Grand Prix Series run by Mark Gill. He did an excellent job. 3 excellent facilities and 3 fast pool. IUPUI, Univ of Louisville and Univ of Chicago.

The records that were broken at Belmont would have been broken at any of the meets that were held the same weekend. California has fast swimmers and fast swimmers attract fast swimmers from other LMSC. It is also a long standing meet.

Even though it would have been fun to swim in California and see all my swimming buddies; I would have to say; I would still swim at the University of Chicago (better newer pool). I know that the meet in Chicago was smaller, but this was the first year.

Another great aspect was I got to attempt to swim 10 events. oops I scratched the 200 fly. Saturday night, the University of Hawaii game was more important. 10-0 undefeated. Plus, recovery time between events that were back to back was a bit challenging when your not in shape.

Hopefully, next year the meets will be on different weekends.
If not; why not try Chicago.

Grunion
December 7th, 2007, 05:55 PM
Nadine,
Shame on you..chicago ;). We really missed you over the three day event and I will fly back east and pick you up for next year if I have to.

Wanted to thank everyone who attended as we were over 500 swimmers with 30+ WR falling.

Hope to see you all next year including you Nadine :)

Ken Brisbin
Grunions
Meet Director

ALM
December 9th, 2007, 07:57 PM
Even though it would have been fun to swim in California and see all my swimming buddies; I would have to say; I would still swim at the University of Chicago (better newer pool). I know that the meet in Chicago was smaller, but this was the first year.

Nadine,

Next year, come to our meet at the University of Missouri Aquatic Center ("better newer pool" than Chicago) in Columbia, Missouri. It's developing a reputation as a very fast pool. See photos here:

http://www.mizzourec.org/facilities/competitive_pool/gallery.asp?Type=facility_gallery&ID=10

Ours was also a small meet, but it was only our second year. Last weekend's results are here:

http://community.lawrence.com/movy/2007_Mizzou_Masters_Meet_Results.htm

Oh, and so far, we are the only group to have hosted an SCM meet in the facility. So we Masters swimmers hold all of the MU SCM pool records!

Anna Lea

NKMD
December 10th, 2007, 12:33 PM
Kenny,
I sure missed all of you. If your meet is on a different weekend next year I will come to your meet. You hold an awesome meet. Plus it is in California.

Anna Lea, my loyalty will be with supporting the TYR series.
We still had over 100 swimmers at the Chicago meet.

I am glad to see more SCM meets.

I swim meets that fit my schedule. I can't be at two places.
Who knows I might be able to swim both next year.

Hey I am swimming in Boston this weekend and they have 520 swimmers registered.

jim clemmons
December 13th, 2007, 04:05 PM
Anyone know if the results will be submitted to USMS for inclusion in Current Top Times?