PDA

View Full Version : How many men still shave for meets?

art_z
November 28th, 2007, 08:48 AM
I did for my first Zone meet, which was 10 years ago. Anyone shave down for masters meets?

SwimStud
November 28th, 2007, 08:53 AM
I did for my first Zone meet, which was 10 years ago. Anyone shave down for masters meets?

I shave for big meets. I may just clip to stubble for others
You will see a variety of choices at masters meets, from "smooth shaved" to "Chewbacca"...and that's just the girls' legs!
:lmao:

*ducks and runs*

ande
November 28th, 2007, 09:59 AM
I shave where my hi neck fastskin suit doesn't cover
arms, pits, face neck and back

I did shave my legs below my knees
it's also good to clip belly and chest hairs

hairs can poke through the suit fabric

meldyck
November 28th, 2007, 10:22 AM
Yup, anything not covered by the FS...

Edward The Head
November 28th, 2007, 10:31 AM
Nope, I tried once and didn't think it helped at all. I never did it after that, and in fact the best times I ever had was with a full beard.

knelson
November 28th, 2007, 10:36 AM
Yes. I always swim much, much faster shaved. I love the way it makes you feel in the water.

TheGoodSmith
November 28th, 2007, 10:37 AM
Gotta do a regular shave.... no piece parts like the the Raz. When you are warming up with a regular suit you need to feel the shave.

John Smith

smontanaro
November 28th, 2007, 11:45 AM
So, you racer types, do you wear the FS and shave for just the big meets, all the time, or something in between?

Skip Montanaro

Paul Smith
November 28th, 2007, 12:31 PM
So, you racer types, do you wear the FS and shave for just the big meets, all the time, or something in between?

Skip Montanaro

shave only for 2-3 "major" meets a year

wear a jammer or legskin for all other meets

and NEVER wear my grnadmothers flower bloomers as a workout suit like Sam!

Peter Cruise
November 28th, 2007, 12:47 PM
When I started in masters back in the 80's, I didn't do it for the first year or so, but for my second Canadian Nats I was talked into it the night before (bled like a stuck pig, I didn't know the 'tricks' of doing it right) and did wonderful drops in that meet and the sense or feel of the water was terrific and maintained for a week or two after. Later the time effect was never so dramatic, but the feeling of heightened awareness of the water always comes back. I would never do it more than twice a year.
Of course, the last few years being 'on the shelf' has resulted in a luxuriant crop that will require shears as a first step.

poolraat
November 28th, 2007, 12:53 PM
In the past few years, I've shaved and tapered for one big meet each year. Last year was SCY Nationals. I do taper for 1 or 2 other meets during the year but generally don't shave. I'm debating if I should shave for a small meet this weekend and wear the fastskin body suit in an attempt to make the 100 free QT for nationals next spring. Last meet (2 weeks ago) I was about 1 sec out without shave, taper or fastskin. With the taper, will the shave and suit give me that second?

talne621
November 28th, 2007, 01:09 PM
I shave for zones and nationals. My times were faster at nationals. I don't think shaving has alot to do with it.

Anthony Thompson
November 28th, 2007, 04:38 PM
I still wear a brief for breaststroke, and yes - shave for big meets.

JimRude
November 28th, 2007, 07:11 PM
... I WILL shave for my first big meet since '86 - SCY Nationals in Austin. And then again for LCM Nationals at Mt. Hood.

It'll be strange, but I always loved that first dive into the pool after shaving - it felt like a magnet was pulling you to the other end of the pool!

Allen Stark
November 28th, 2007, 07:20 PM
I shave for taper meets about 3 times a year. Minor meets I wear my older FSs and save my FS Pro for the taper meets.

stillwater
November 28th, 2007, 08:04 PM
I never shaved my pits. Probably should have.

Shaved my head, just couldn't shave the odor makers.

Funny thing is I don't need to shave my dome now, except for my ears.

rtodd
November 28th, 2007, 08:21 PM
Legs and chest stay shaved all the time. Just easier. The rest comes off once and a while for meets.

Kurt Dickson
November 28th, 2007, 09:52 PM
When I started swimming masters about 11 years ago, I was torn as I know I go faster when I shave, but feel dumb doing so at my advanced age. Now, I'm old enough where I just don't give a crap what people think and I shave three times a year.

What's up with people shaving their body and leaving an absorbent mop on their face and/or head?

Blackbeard's Peg
November 28th, 2007, 11:25 PM
I never shaved my pits. Probably should have.

The discomfort outweighs any benefits that may arise from this activity. I speak from experience. I'll never do it again.
I shave for nationals - legs up to speedo-line and wear a legsuit. As someone mentioned, the hairs will come through if you don't get rid of them. Not that a few will slow you down, but even with the legs on, the shave still feels awesome. While I do think a lot of shaving is mental, you won't see me testing my theory in a big meet any time soon.

knelson
November 29th, 2007, 12:21 AM
What's up with people shaving their body and leaving an absorbent mop on their face and/or head?

I confess I'm one of them :) I just never liked wearing a cap. Now I've tried it a couple times and have a hard time keeping my goggles on during the dive. I guess I'd rather be a tad slower and keep my goggles on.

As for pits, I think just clipping is sufficient.

david.margrave
November 29th, 2007, 12:52 AM
Not since 1986. With my current times I don't see much point, but if I get faster I may reconsider. How much of a difference does it make? A few hundredths or tenth of a second at most per length I would guess. I'd rather get a buzz cut or wear a cap.

Sam Perry
November 29th, 2007, 01:13 AM
shave only for 2-3 "major" meets a year

wear a jammer or legskin for all other meets

and NEVER wear my grnadmothers flower bloomers as a workout suit like Sam!

I am just that comfortable with my manhood. (I do have to "stuff" my suit if it is a noon workout though, the daylight can be a bit humbling if you know what I mean)

knelson
November 29th, 2007, 10:34 AM
How much of a difference does it make?

Lots. I never shave without tapering, so it's hard to know how much each one contributes indivdually, but I typically drop a couple seconds per hundred.

Why not shave? It probably takes just an hour or two. That seems like a worthy sacrifice to maximize months of training to me.

Slowswim
November 29th, 2007, 02:55 PM
(I do have to "stuff" my suit if it is a noon workout though, the daylight can be a bit humbling if you know what I mean)

Uhhh, no?

aztimm
November 29th, 2007, 02:56 PM
Not since 1986. With my current times I don't see much point, but if I get faster I may reconsider. How much of a difference does it make? A few hundredths or tenth of a second at most per length I would guess. I'd rather get a buzz cut or wear a cap.

Yea, I agree. Maybe if I was close to a record or something, I'd do whatever I could to make/beat it. But even 5 seconds off of a 100 yd free for me isn't going to be that significant. Certainly not enough to spend even 30 min shaving.

Before any meet I do, I'll do some sort of taper. When I compared 2 meets, one just tapered and the other tapered/shaved (about 2 months apart, same pool), one event was a second faster (200 yd breast), the other was about a second slower (100 yd breast). I can't remember if I wore the same suit or not, but I only swim meets in briefs (don't own a jammer or any of the technical suits).

Sam Perry
November 29th, 2007, 03:10 PM
Uhhh, no?

Touche'. :notworthy:

Slowswim
November 29th, 2007, 03:26 PM
Touche'. :notworthy:

Actually, I thought you meant during a meet your suit becoming see through or so stretched out that everyone could tell your religion. :blush:

Redbird Alum
November 30th, 2007, 01:05 PM
When I started swimming masters about 11 years ago, I was torn as I know I go faster when I shave, but feel dumb doing so at my advanced age. Now, I'm old enough where I just don't give a crap what people think ...

:wine: Here's to all of us that have acheived this milestone!

Peter Cruise
November 30th, 2007, 01:42 PM
How come our teenagers find this milestone so easily with regards to their parents?

3strokes
November 30th, 2007, 09:19 PM
I shave for dates. (On re-reading I had to add this) The face, folks.

As to meets, well:
My first National meet (Egypt in the early 60's) was held -contrary to usual scheduling- at the beginning of Summer. So, like an idiot and being unable to foresee the future, I shaved, had a good meet and then went off to Alexandria and the beaches of Summer. I was in my early twenties but vowed never to shave again for a meet, unless the meet were to be held between November and March (no beaches, no pools, no girls) after my childhood girl space friend (two separate words) whom I hadn't seen in some four years or so (different cities) whispered to me if she could ask a confidential and private question, "Ahmed, do you mind confiding in me, your friend, why your legs -and torso and armpits- are shaved?"

I only swam for two years after that and thankfully, the Championships were held at the end of Summer. I shaved. The effect was more psychological than physical.

PArob83
December 1st, 2007, 03:54 AM
Since right now im isolated from any body of water Ill probally look like paul bunyon before i go back, but once i can hit the pool again, I will probally shave, not for meets, just for the feel in the water. Why not:banana:

funkyfish
December 2nd, 2007, 06:40 PM
Shaving was more of an issue in high school, but we did it for state competition. It was also kinda funny watching some of the girls legs get harrier and harrier as the season went on, then they'd shave for state.

Many years and a number of bodybuilding competitions later, shaving's no big deal. I'll shave for 2 or 3 meets during the year, but next year will probably save some money for nationals, and just shave for that. It's still an amazing feeling swimming while shaved. But when the stubble grows back, not so amazing. :cry:

:wave::cheerleader::thhbbb::banana::laugh2::banana ::):thhbbb::banana::party2:

rtodd
December 2nd, 2007, 09:48 PM
Actually first started shaving chest to get a bench shirt on for powerlifting. Then I start with the legs for track because it made less mess when using mineral ice. When I started swimming, the shaving thing was no big deal.

Iwannafly
January 18th, 2008, 03:56 PM
Just a side note, but I read an article (http://www.usmsswimmer.com/200707/splashback.pdf) recently in USMS Swimmer, talking about some research that indicated less H+ buildup (hence, less lactate buildup) in swimmers who shaved. I am just enough of a geek that I would be interested in reading the quoted research article to see what sample size the researchers had to determine the uncertainty involved in their results. Anyway, now that I've shown my true colors, on to the question.
My questions go something like this...
I will swim my first Zone meet at the ripe young age of 38 this spring. I plan on shaving down to swim the 500 and 50 free and the 200 breast. When should I shave? The night before? The morning of? The weekend before? Advice will be greatly appreciated, so thank you in advance.

T.J.

jim clemmons
January 18th, 2008, 04:54 PM
I confess I'm one of them :) I just never liked wearing a cap. Now I've tried it a couple times and have a hard time keeping my goggles on during the dive. I guess I'd rather be a tad slower and keep my goggles on.

As for pits, I think just clipping is sufficient.

I'm kinda like Kirk on this one. The only diff is that I'll wear a cap for any 500y or shorter event. I tend to overheat in 800m or longer events. I'll shave most parts that aren't covered by the suit, clip pit hairs and trim the moustache/eyebrows. I read someplace that you leave the hairs under the suit to keep space between the suit and skin (and hopefully retain air in the space) in order to add buoyancy. I don't know - it seems to compress fairly tightly.

Why I have hair growing out of ears now :confused: is the only answer that I'm looking for. Gotta pluck those dudes.

I shave the night before unless my first event is going to be late enough in the day to shave in the morning or afternoon of the event.

ALM
January 18th, 2008, 09:59 PM
Our coach also coaches age-group swimmers. He told me that USA Swimming no longer allows athletes to shave at meets (in the locker rooms or showers).

The age-group team no longer allows it when they travel - not even in the hotel bathrooms. So the kids have to shave down before they leave home.

Anna Lea

pakman044
January 19th, 2008, 12:29 AM
Our coach also coaches age-group swimmers. He told me that USA Swimming no longer allows athletes to shave at meets (in the locker rooms or showers).

The age-group team no longer allows it when they travel - not even in the hotel bathrooms. So the kids have to shave down before they leave home.

Anna Lea

It's forbidden on-site in high school too. Do it, get caught, and you just earned your great shave and taper a DQ from further competition. My guess is that they didn't like the kids who screwed up bleeding on deck, or the mess at the facility.

When I was 13 or 14 about ten years back, I remember my coach had a group meeting about planning to shave for the senior (or 14&U AG) champ meet, and all it entailed, and that if we didn't want to do so (or sit through the talk), we should change to get ready on practice for deck. I was the only person to forego the meeting--granted, having a realistic idea that when I typically finished 42 out of 42 in your events, I didn't have many taper/shave meets to go to.

Never having shaved in my shorter career (I'm sure some of you all been doing shave & tapers for more years than I've been around!), I can't come up with more than one or maybe two situations where I'd do so, and it's tough to say if I'll ever satisfy the one that would definitely require the shave. The closest I come is putting on a cap for meets, which I don't do for practice, and didn't do in the earliest years of my swimming years. It certainly feels faster, but my data points are too few to say for certain (most of my meets over my years show time drops because I'd go to so few, and so the incremental improvement had to show up some time).

Patrick King