PDA

View Full Version : NYTimes re: Lochte

scyfreestyler
November 28th, 2007, 12:57 PM
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/28/sports/othersports/28swim.html

funkyfish
November 28th, 2007, 02:24 PM
Cool story. I'm torn, because I'd like Phelps to reach his goals for all the work he's put in, but I really like the "David and Goliath" scenario and hope Lochte gives him a good run for the money. Personality-wise I'd probably identify more with Lochte; I think you can work hard and have fun at the same time.

:banana::groovy::banana::groovy::banana::groovy:

chorus line

quicksilver
November 28th, 2007, 03:55 PM
In a way, as the article mentions...he's really being overshadowed by Phelp's success and popularity.
Lochte's IM times are among the fastest posted on record. It should be a good showdown in IM's and backstroke races.

TheGoodSmith
November 28th, 2007, 03:57 PM
I am amused at the way the article totally fails to mention Peirsol.

He will not beat Peirsol again.

John Smith

scyfreestyler
November 28th, 2007, 04:32 PM
I am amused at the way the article totally fails to mention Peirsol.

He will not beat Peirsol again.

John Smith

:lmao: Who are you, Tonya Harding?!

The Fortress
November 28th, 2007, 04:37 PM
I'm rooting for Lochte as the underdog. Why won't he beat Peirsol again? We did just see a video of Peirsol on flocast not winning any backstroke sets at practice. Not that I think Peirsol won't win. But when you've beaten someone once, it's easier to do it again.

Are SCY Nats on TV this weekend?

Peter Cruise
November 28th, 2007, 05:05 PM
Leslie- I think the DourSmith's conviction has something to do with a certain Longhorn connection...

Frank Thompson
November 28th, 2007, 05:34 PM
I'm rooting for Lochte as the underdog. Why won't he beat Peirsol again? We did just see a video of Peirsol on flocast not winning any backstroke sets at practice. Not that I think Peirsol won't win. But when you've beaten someone once, it's easier to do it again.

Are SCY Nats on TV this weekend?

The SCY Nats with not be on TV this weekend but the finals will be live everyday on the USA website with the newly launched Swimnetwork.com and you can see all of the races live as they are unfolding with this live webcast. It starts tomorrow at 6:00 PM Eastern time and the events tomorrow are the 500 Free, 200 IM, 50 Free, and the 400 Medley Relay. They will show this everyday when the finals session starts. This was done last summer when the Nationals were in Indianapolis. Mike Unger and Rowdy Gaines will probably provide the commentary.

Michael Phelps has been in the local newspaper in the last 2 days coming off an injury which has altered his training. He still plans to compete this weekend at the meet in Atlanta and has a showdown with Ryan Lochte in the 200 IM. I believe this is the first time these two swimmers have swam against each other in the SCY setting. Both swimmers have had the American Record in this event. The 200 IM should be the race of the meet.

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071128/SPORTS17/711280434/1048/SPORTS

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071128/OPINION03/711280319/1289/OPINION0336

Rob Copeland
November 28th, 2007, 05:39 PM
Are SCY Nats on TV this weekend?There in no live network coverage that I’m aware of. However USA Swimming will be webcasting the meet
http://www.usaswimming.org/usasweb/ViewMiscArticle.aspx?TabId=160&Alias=Rainbow&Lang=en&mid=471&ItemId=2659

And you should be able to get realtime results from USA Swimming or from the Georgia Tech’s web site.
http://ramblinwreck.cstv.com/livestats/c-swim/

Or Omega Timing http://www.omegatiming.com/livetiming/index.htm

Be while rooting for Lochte, sure to also root for Masters Swimmer Dennis Baker in the 200 fly and son of a Masters Swimmer Noah Copeland in the 50, 10 and 200 frees.:banana::cheerleader::banana:

TheGoodSmith
November 28th, 2007, 05:44 PM
The Fortress....

One flowcast broadcast does not a season make.

John Smith

Hook'em !

The Fortress
November 28th, 2007, 06:47 PM
The SCY Nats with not be on TV this weekend but the finals will be live everyday on the USA website with the newly launched Swimnetwork.com and you can see all of the races live as they are unfolding with this live webcast. It starts tomorrow at 6:00 PM Eastern time and the events tomorrow are the 500 Free, 200 IM, 50 Free, and the 400 Medley Relay. They will show this everyday when the finals session starts. This was done last summer when the Nationals were in Indianapolis. Mike Unger and Rowdy Gaines will probably provide the commentary.

Michael Phelps has been in the local newspaper in the last 2 days coming off an injury which has altered his training. He still plans to compete this weekend at the meet in Atlanta and has a showdown with Ryan Lochte in the 200 IM. I believe this is the first time these two swimmers have swam against each other in the SCY setting. Both swimmers have had the American Record in this event. The 200 IM should be the race of the meet.

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071128/SPORTS17/711280434/1048/SPORTS

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071128/OPINION03/711280319/1289/OPINION0336

Thanks, Frank and Rob!

Good luck to Dennis and Noah! :woot:

rtodd
November 28th, 2007, 08:14 PM
We did just see a video of Peirsol on flocast not winning any backstroke sets at practice

Didn't see Crocker win any either, but of course no one in that facility can beat him in a race, so the elite get a pass on not winning sets in practice.

J0nath0n3
November 28th, 2007, 08:18 PM
Didn't see Crocker win any either, but of course no one in that facility can beat him in a race, so the elite get a pass on not winning sets in practice.
I feel like lochte when i dont make state on my meets lol.

quicksilver
November 28th, 2007, 08:28 PM
Lochte probably enjoys underdog status if you could call it that.
The last 50 on his 200 back was huge. And his underwater kick is every bit as good as Phelps'.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xETC2p461o8

Rob Copeland
November 29th, 2007, 09:12 AM
Lochte probably enjoys underdog statusMaybe to some, but he is the American Record holder in the 100 and 200 back events and the 200 IM. And all of these records were set at the Georgia Tech pool where nationals are being held.

I don’t think anyone can touch him in SCY backstroke and is my clear favorite to win the 100, 200 back and 400 IM, unless he swims all 12 events he’s entered in and then he may be a bit tired come Saturday’s finals.

knelson
November 29th, 2007, 10:29 AM
Lochte is a phenomenal short course swimmer. Phelps will have his work cut out for him in the 200 IM for sure. Should be a great race!

thewookiee
November 29th, 2007, 10:49 AM
I was watching the 800 free relay from worlds again, last night. It didn't occur to me until last night, just how smooth of a swimmer Lochte really is. His freestyle was very well balanced, no real loping, just a great stroke to watch. Probably a better stroke to study than his relay teammates

His backstroke is the same way...real smooth and great balance and rotation to each side.

Wonder if he has a 1:35+ 200 back? That would be fun to see.

tjburk
November 29th, 2007, 11:22 AM
I'll be there to watch it!!!!! YAY!!!!!!

quicksilver
November 29th, 2007, 12:02 PM
It didn't occur to me until last night, just how smooth of a swimmer Lochte really is. His freestyle was very well balanced, no real loping, just a great stroke to watch.

His 500yd free time is 4:13.
That's awesome considering the IMs and backstroke are his specialty.

It should be an interesting Olympic trials.

knelson
November 29th, 2007, 12:03 PM
Lochte swam a 1:43.8 200 IM in prelims, easily seeding him first for tonight, and a 19.22 50 free! Possibly, just possibly, this guy is even more versatile than Phelps. He can truly swim any stroke, any distance and be competitive at the highest level.

thewookiee
November 29th, 2007, 01:33 PM
Lochte might be the one going under 1:40. From looking at the splits, it doesn't look like he or phelps really pushed the last 50

Jeff Commings
November 29th, 2007, 01:41 PM
There are a couple of other masters swimmers at the meet: Brian Jacobson (50 free) and Erik Scalise (200 IM).

I wonder why very few people are tapering for this meet. They'll have seven months to train for Trials. Why not have one more big meet before then?

thewookiee
November 29th, 2007, 02:37 PM
Anyone know if Klete Keller is at the meet? He was listed as "did not start" for the 500.

quicksilver
November 29th, 2007, 03:27 PM
Some big names in the sprinting ranks must be surprised to say the least.

http://65.110.72.225/SPIPDF/11292007usascym50freep.pdf

art_z
November 29th, 2007, 03:34 PM

whats the story on the guy who went 55.03 in the 50 free (rank 73 on the sheet)?

knelson
November 29th, 2007, 04:01 PM
whats the story on the guy who went 55.03 in the 50 free (rank 73 on the sheet)?

Maybe he miscounted! :)

thewookiee
November 29th, 2007, 04:05 PM
Maybe he was noodling for the crowd.

The Fortress
November 29th, 2007, 04:07 PM

Amazing! It looks like he swam faster than the sprinters at the UT meet too.

Frank Thompson
November 29th, 2007, 04:45 PM
I was very impressed with how Ryan Lochte swam so far today. I will even be more impressed if he wins both the 200 IM and 50 Free tonight. The order is good from him because his big race will be over before he swims the 50 Free. Who would have thought he would have beaten Cielo and Wildman-Tobiner by over .7 in a 50 Free.

Tonight's race with Michael Phelps in the 200 Yard IM could be one of the great races of the year. Because of the injury to Phelps and Lochte swimming better in the Short Course format in the last 2 years makes this race interesting and maybe a reversal of fortunes for Ryan Lochte in his races with Michael Phelps. I noticed that Phelps seed time entry was a super fast 1:38.54, which is almost 3 seconds faster than he ever swam this event (1:41.30) and 2 seconds faster than the American Record of 1:40.55 which belongs to Lochte. Will we see the record go in the 1:38 range?

I believe Ryan Lochte must win this race if he has any chance in the future against Michael Phelps. He has everything going for him being a great SCY swimmer and having a great meet at this pool today and at NCAA's a few years ago. I know the injury has changed Phelps training for this event and I am not sure if his seed times were reported before the injury? He also has a seed time of 1:29.84 in the 200 Yard Free which is 2.24 seconds faster than he has ever gone and 1.18 seconds faster than Simon Burnett did when he smoked at NCAA's. An interesting observer to this race would be Thiago Pereira of Brazil, who last week broke Ryan Lochte's World Record in the 200 IM by .17 in the SCM format.

The Men's 500 Free with Peter VDK and Larsen Jensen will be interesting and we will see if Larsen can bounce back from a disappointing Summer Nationals.

The Women's 50 Free with Joyce, Coughlin, and Weir will be interesting and will see if anyone can get close to :21.63 for the American Record. An intersting observer to this race will be Dara Torres, fresh from the American Record that was set in the SCM format and recovering from shoulder surgery.

My picks tonight are: Lochte, VDK, and Joyce.

fanstone
November 29th, 2007, 05:32 PM
A word from down under (sorry, not Australia, but Brazil). We have never, ever gotten good standings or medals or whatever in LCM and Olympics. But once in awhile we have this great athlete that gives us hope. Thiago Pereira is the name of the moment. He beat some world records in SCM, I believe in Berlin, a couple of weeks ago and is in the news these days. But when you put him in the pool with Phelps, there is a huge difference on the long course. AND first he has to take care of Lochte. But the brazilian media doesn't know all these details. The media, poor media, doesn't know about Cielo, I guess top free fifty swimmer ever in the SCY today, but in the U.S. away from our poor reporters. It is odd that Thiago was a hero in the Pan American Games, but our true chance at a shot in Beijing would be with Cielo. Well, I remember watching a video of Spitz (maybe it was a film) underwater, in 1968 and our coach in Chattanooga, said he was a California promise, might do some good swimming later on. I believe he was my age, about 16...probably only a sophomore in high school. That is as close as I ever got to Spitz. I do swim with a former relay 200 free (200X4) from 2004, Bruno Bonfim. I asked him point blank last week: is Amanda Beard hot up front in person? He said, yes, she is...billy fanstone

smontanaro
November 29th, 2007, 07:08 PM
Sorry to hijack this thread, but since it seems to more-or-less be about the nats, can someone explain with Mike Alexandrov was relegated to the B final in the 200IM even though his prelim time was seventh fastest?

Skip Montanaro

scyfreestyler
November 29th, 2007, 07:13 PM
1:40.08 for Lochte in the 200 IM. New AR and US record.

Phelps was 1:41.32.

smontanaro
November 29th, 2007, 07:14 PM
Lochte 1, Phelps 0.

S

scyfreestyler
November 29th, 2007, 07:20 PM
I see Vanderkaay did a number on Larsen Jensen as well. Vanderkaay's 4:10 to Jensen's 4:14 in the 500 Free. Vanderkaay's teammate,Erik Vendt, just behind Jensen by about .39 seconds.

scyfreestyler
November 29th, 2007, 07:21 PM
And now Coughlin with a new AR/US record in the 50 Free...21.46!!!

That Guy
November 29th, 2007, 07:35 PM
Sorry to hijack this thread, but since it seems to more-or-less be about the nats, can someone explain with Mike Alexandrov was relegated to the B final in the 200IM even though his prelim time was seventh fastest?

Skip Montanaro

From http://www.swimmingworldmagazine.com/lane9/news/16334.asp

"In the B Final, Wildcat Mike Alexandrov won in a lifetime-best 1:43.58 after being relegated to the consolation heat due to being an international swimmer, even though he qualified in the top eight from prelims. USA Swimming must be somewhat confused about how to treat Alexandrov. First, the organization accepted him as a citizen when it ratified him as the 100 breaststroke America record holder from his time at NCAAs. Then, USA Swimming comes back and kicks him out of the championship heat for a national title. Either way, the time made him the sixth-fastest performer all time in the event."

Jeff Commings
November 29th, 2007, 07:38 PM
More specifically, Alexandrov has dual citizenship with USA and Bulgaria. It is indeed confusing what nationality Alexandrov wants to claim. If he wanted to be an American, fine, but you can't switch back and forth. I think there's some rule about dual citizenship in FINA that you can't go to the other one once you proclaim one.

Alexandrov represented Bulgaria at worlds, three weeks after his American-record swim at NCAAs.

If it were up to me, I'd strip him of the AR.

dcswimguy
November 29th, 2007, 07:40 PM

Skip Montanaro

This meet is the "trials" meet for the World SC Championships. Since Alexandrov cannot represent the US in international competition at that meet, he cannot compete in the A Final.

fanstone
November 29th, 2007, 08:10 PM
I am glad I suck, don't have to deal with the dual citizenship thing...when I am here I have to defend the U.S. and even Bush, when I am there I have to avoid speaking evil of Bush with Mississippi relatives. Maybe next time around I'll be defending Hillary, yikes! billy fanstone