PDA

View Full Version : Beginner needs advise - it's cold...

LocalSwimmer
November 28th, 2007, 03:23 PM
Hello to all,

Because of some back troubles my doctor recommends a regiment of swimming. Thing is, I am swimming outdoors and it gets pretty cool at night (only time I can swim). My question is this. do I just have to tough it out or is there some kind of shirt that I could wear? Something that I could easily swim in but cut down on the chill...

thanks in advance

Lloyd

fanstone
November 28th, 2007, 06:10 PM
Get a wet suit, the kind scuba divers use. There are some covering chest, parts of arms and thighs, there are others covering more. You can go more expensive and get the swimming gear that triathletes use. Slimmer and more expensive is what they are. These are not allowed for racing purposes in the swimming world, but you can use them to swim. They are slightly thicker than the fast skins used by swimmers. They also will keep you warm, which is their primary purpose.

LocalSwimmer
November 28th, 2007, 07:24 PM
Thanks fanstone, I never thought of wet suits but with a quick search I see that there are thin neoprene vests and sleeved tops. I'll check em out.

stillwater
November 28th, 2007, 07:56 PM
A rashguard might be your ticket.

If that's not enough I'd try a short sleeved 2mm jacket. No zip. They can be a bear to get off, but you want it tight.

Ripple
November 28th, 2007, 08:47 PM
Canoe and kayak stores sell thin neoprene and "fuzzy rubber" pullovers that might work.