PDA

View Full Version : Swimming sans pull buoy, YEAH BABY!

spudfin
November 28th, 2007, 04:00 PM
Greetings
Earlier this fall I consulted this forum about my 100% dependance on a pull buoy(and frequent use of fins and paddles) in order to swim longer yardage at a faster pace and "feel" balanced. The overwhelming advice was to ditch the diaper and learn to swim properly without it. Well, I did a cold turkey about 3 months ago and swimming became a hateful experience. Like swimming in pudding really. Well with the help of a coach and TONS of drilling I figured it out. Wow, swimming is a real blast now. I can "feel" so many different things without the buoy in terms of technique. My times are dropping rapidly as are my heart rates at different intensity levels. This is really COOL. So, thanks to all who commented and I encourage anyone stuck on a bouy to try to get rid of it. I will never use one again. The only pool toys I have left to give up are my goggles and my jammer. Better keep both.
Regards
Spudfin

gull
November 28th, 2007, 05:41 PM
Congratulations on kicking the pull buoy addiction (no pun intended). It is worth the effort.

art_z
November 29th, 2007, 12:32 PM
the "toys" are useful when they are used for what they are designed. The first masters team I hooked up with had most of the of the women swimming constantly with zoomers. I never understood the point. If you aren't racing with them, why train with them. Now I can see doing a set on occassion with fins, or paddles, or buoy, if it helps you stroke or strength, etc.