PDA

View Full Version : Independent Teams

bbpolhill
December 1st, 2007, 08:00 AM
Our team has been shuttled in and out of pools in recent years and as a result we have no sense of stability and a very undefined situation. I am not sure exactly why we cannot seem to get a foot hold anywhere or why various aquatic directors show no patience as we try to grow our program. The lack of support and stability have certainly worked against us.

This past summer we worked very hard to put together an organized program at a local university. They gave us time slots, a budget for a coach, and a requirement to have 20 members to start the program. We told them that 20 should be no problem and we quickly ensured that and communicated that we had over 20 members. They then came back and said that they would need 25 members to hire a coach. We sent around e-mails and came up with 27 commitments. When we communicated that to them, they said that things had changed and that they would need 30 membership applications with full payment in hand prior to initiating the program. We scrambled around and collected 31 applications and payments plus convinced another 10 adult lap swimmers at their facility to join the Masters team.

Well, they dragged their feet for weeks and despite admitting to us that the facility is under utilized they ultimately unceremoniously and inexplicably decided against starting the Masters program. Was 41 a small number of Masters swimmers to start a program with? Outside of hiring a coach, there was no added cost to the university since we were only using 4 available lanes of an eight lane pool during current adult lap swim hours.

As you might imagine this left our membership in disarray and splintered throughout the area. We now have about 5 small workout groups that are only organized to the point of creating their own workouts and swimming together during open swim hours at various pools.

I'm wondering whether putting together a team which is independent of any facility is feasible. I'm thinking that we hire our own coach, run the team entirely ourselves (from an administrative perspective), and work out a rental agreement with a host facility.

Is anyone out there doing something similar or is it just too costly to consider?

Sam Perry
December 1st, 2007, 10:04 AM
Our team has been shuttled in and out of pools in recent years and as a result we have no sense of stability and a very undefined situation. I am not sure exactly why we cannot seem to get a foot hold anywhere or why various aquatic directors show no patience as we try to grow our program. The lack of support and stability have certainly worked against us.

This past summer we worked very hard to put together an organized program at a local university. They gave us time slots, a budget for a coach, and a requirement to have 20 members to start the program. We told them that 20 should be no problem and we quickly ensured that and communicated that we had over 20 members. They then came back and said that they would need 25 members to hire a coach. We sent around e-mails and came up with 27 commitments. When we communicated that to them, they said that things had changed and that they would need 30 membership applications with full payment in hand prior to initiating the program. We scrambled around and collected 31 applications and payments plus convinced another 10 adult lap swimmers at their facility to join the Masters team.

Well, they dragged their feet for weeks and despite admitting to us that the facility is under utilized they ultimately unceremoniously and inexplicably decided against starting the Masters program. Was 41 a small number of Masters swimmers to start a program with? Outside of hiring a coach, there was no added cost to the university since we were only using 4 available lanes of an eight lane pool during current adult lap swim hours.

As you might imagine this left our membership in disarray and splintered throughout the area. We now have about 5 small workout groups that are only organized to the point of creating their own workouts and swimming together during open swim hours at various pools.

I'm wondering whether putting together a team which is independent of any facility is feasible. I'm thinking that we hire our own coach, run the team entirely ourselves (from an administrative perspective), and work out a rental agreement with a host facility.

Is anyone out there doing something similar or is it just too costly to consider?

Talk to Emmit Hines with H2ouston Swims. That's pretty much what he has done for years. He owns the propgram, coaches, leases space, bills, etc. He has done this for along time, I figure if it has lasted, must work pretty well. His website is:

http://www.h2oustonswims.org/

chaos
December 1st, 2007, 12:18 PM

that sucks!
the aquatics director should be looking at a masters club as an asset to their facility, and one that can offer some structure and opportunity for the schools associates (undergrads, alumni, faculty etc) to join in the usms experience.