4) 25 free
5) 25 SDK
6) fastest add up times

Who's game?
would you do this?

It would be more fun to have this at the Swim Center the day after Nationals

blainesapprentice
December 5th, 2007, 01:05 PM
I would certainly do this--though im not going to be at nationals this year most likely.

Kurt Dickson
December 5th, 2007, 06:20 PM
um...postal for a 25 yard swim would be highly inaccurate with a watch. It only works for 10k, 5k, 6000, 3000, and 1 hour as a few tenths +/- don't usually matter. I can see some idiot swimming in a 13.245 meter pool at a Holiday Inn in Ogallala, Nebraska, thinking he went 10.1 seconds in 25 yards.
Just my thoughts. Plus sprinting sucks and is bad for your health.

CreamPuff
December 5th, 2007, 06:24 PM
No.
And I'm a sprinter.
Too short.
The men have a huge advantage over the women off the starts.
I need a few more laps to wear them down.

I'm sure others will go for it though. . . .

rtodd
December 5th, 2007, 07:41 PM
I'm all for it, but they would have to be electronic timed....judged for false starts....etc. Not easy. Plus my pool is 100 ft.

meldyck
December 5th, 2007, 08:20 PM
Plus sprinting sucks and is bad for your health.

We should listen to Kurt here. He is a doctor, after all. And besides, if you do all that sprinting you could end up looking like Paul Smith....

Blackbeard's Peg
December 5th, 2007, 11:48 PM
Where's Fort & Warren?
They won the fastest woman and fastest man awards at the 2007 Sprint Classic at GMU... They have unofficial 25s at the end of the meet. Fastest aggregate wins the fastest man/woman award.

So far, I think they're the first frontrunners for the 2007-8 awards!

-jeff

knelson
December 6th, 2007, 12:05 AM
I think it would be fun, but difficult to get official times. You'd really need electronic timing and officials to make sure the starts were legal. Relying on coaches' stopwatches wouldn't work. Coaches are notorious for helping their swimmers out a little with manual times.

The Fortress
December 6th, 2007, 09:12 AM
Plus sprinting sucks and is bad for your health.

:rofl:

Probably right! Those little sissy workouts we do don't burn any calories. Sprinting puts a lot of strain on everything too.

As Peg notes, the unofficial 25s we do annually at the Sprint Classic meet are very fun! And electronically timed. I can think of quite a few people who could absolutely smoke me on the evilstroke leg though.

Frank Thompson
December 6th, 2007, 10:26 AM
There was a proposal to include 25 Yard and 25 Meter events for USMS Records and USMS Top Ten but it was restricted to the age groups 75 and above. This was presented at the 2006 Convention. It was easily defeated. I have provided a link to a past discussion on this subject.

http://forums.usms.org/showthread.php?t=6683

NKMD
December 6th, 2007, 10:42 AM
Ande,
As you stated at the top of your tread UNOFFICIAL 25 yard race.

Go for it.

Any event to encourage participation is great. Kudos to you!!

Sorry I do not swim 25's, too short for me, I am so far behind at the start, and I do not like sprints.

Illinois hosts a meet in January that has 25's. Most of the time it is to encourage swimmers that are learning to swim to participate.

Good Luck send me the information on the postal event.

Nadine

Paul Smith
December 6th, 2007, 11:09 AM
Why wait till Austin? Run it as a "virtual" championship like the Race Club does and post the videos on YouTube? The winners can be "crowned" in Austin Sunday night somewhere down on 6th Ave!

Sam Perry
December 6th, 2007, 11:17 AM
Why wait till Austin? Run it as a "virtual" championship like the Race Club does and post the videos on YouTube? The winners can be "crowned" in Austin Sunday night somewhere down on 6th Ave!

Great idea from the new world record holder in the 50 M Free 50 M Fly. More free beer for Paul. :dedhorse:

SwimStud
December 6th, 2007, 11:24 AM
Great idea from the new world record holder in the 50 M Free 50 M Fly. More free beer for Paul. :dedhorse:

Just keep plying him with beer until I can beat him then :D

Paul Smith
December 6th, 2007, 12:14 PM

Sammy...my 50's sucked and to set the record striaght I didn't get the 50 free record....I would never contend in a 25 race unless it was kicking only!

Stud...I need no pushing to throw back a great Top Sail from the brewery in LB...sadly we didn't realize they had pitchers till Sunday night!

ande
December 6th, 2007, 12:40 PM
why not 25's
they would be fun and exciting
maybe it will resurface

ande

There was a proposal to include 25 Yard and 25 Meter events for USMS Records and USMS Top Ten but it was restricted to the age groups 75 and above. This was presented at the 2006 Convention. It was easily defeated. I have provided a link to a past discussion on this subject.

ande
December 6th, 2007, 12:43 PM
Excellent idea
I do favor electronic timing to eliminate timer error
btw there is no 6th ave, it's 6th street

robert kileen might throw a party sunday night

ande

Why wait till Austin?
Run it as a "virtual" championship like the Race Club does and post the videos on YouTube?
The winners can be "crowned" in Austin Sunday night somewhere down on 6th Ave!

Concho Pearl
December 6th, 2007, 01:57 PM
Sounds like fun - postal sounds good or why not do them after the 1650's at Nationals. That way people don't have to stay an extra day and we can get use to the pool at the same time.

We do them at our fun Christmas meet. It's a meet that our HS coach set's up for all of
the "old timers" who used to swim in High School. The current HS teams swims in it for fun.
We just start at the other end - no blocks - and race a 25 so the electronic timing system can get our time. I already asked if we could do this for Fly - I don' t want to do a 50 or 100 but I'll do a 25.

Sam Perry
December 6th, 2007, 04:03 PM
Sammy...my 50's sucked and to set the record striaght I didn't get the 50 free record.

My bad, but to say your 50's sucked is a stretch. WR is a WR. Can't imagine what you would do in a 50 if it didn't "suck". Congrats on a great meet!

P.S. Seeing Doctor (per your orders) on Wednesday.

Blackbeard's Peg
December 7th, 2007, 12:54 AM

why not 25's
they would be fun and exciting
maybe it will resurface

ande

I wasn't there, but I believe I heard that part of the reason it was defeated was that it wan't right to exclude younger age groups from doing 25s. People from all over the age spectrum here have demonstrated the desire to do them - why permit only the 75+ folks? I'd get Leslie to launch a class-action suit for age discrimination.

Any meet can do these as unofficial events - why not have more people add this to the end of their meet program between now and Austin, and we can indeed to a virtual championship...

pwolf66
December 7th, 2007, 09:24 AM
Just keep plying him with beer until I can beat him then :D

So we have to get him looking like one of the MacKenzie brothers???

Paul

Sam Perry
December 7th, 2007, 04:17 PM
So we have to get him looking like one of the MacKenzie brothers???

Paul

You haven't seen Paul Smith have you? He already does look like a MacKenzie brother, you have to guess which one. :mooning:

Jeff Commings
December 7th, 2007, 05:57 PM
Just FYI:

The Texas Swim Center has the capability to install touchpads at the turn wall for accurate times.

The recent meet there had 25 splits for every race 200 and under.

As I mentioned in another thread, I'm outta Austin early Monday, but I support this idea, Ande. Of course, the rules have to be followed, which means no one gets more than one dolphin kick on breaststroke and must surface at 15 meters.

Karen Duggan
December 9th, 2007, 12:11 PM
Aw Jeff, come on! I was happily reading through this thread thinking that I might endeavor with a 25 or two (knowing full well I can't turn over to save my life!). My evil plan: mostly underwater, fly kick, THAT I can do fast :) Rats, guess I'm out.:cry:

ande
December 9th, 2007, 06:26 PM
except in the 25 SDK
the 25 SDK may be completely underwater
swimmers may take one stroke with one arm to set up their touch
slower swimmers may take a narrow half breastroke scull to get a breath

it would be fun

ande

Just FYI:

The Texas Swim Center has the capability to install touchpads at the turn wall for accurate times.

The recent meet there had 25 splits for every race 200 and under.

As I mentioned in another thread, I'm outta Austin early Monday, but I support this idea, Ande. Of course, the rules have to be followed, which means no one gets more than one dolphin kick on breaststroke and must surface at 15 meters.

FindingMyInnerFish
December 9th, 2007, 07:39 PM
If I were going to Austin, I'd join the fun--I like an event wherein I have no chance whatsoever to be lapped. :fish2: