PDA

View Full Version : Swim Clinic or Duel in the Pool in Austin after Nationals?

ande
December 6th, 2007, 12:52 PM
there is not anything scheduled at this point
I'm just checking levels of interest that I will share those who could make this happen

there's likely to be over 2,000 usms swimmers in Austin for Nats
do you think any of them would like to add a day or two to their Austin visit to either:

1) participate in a Swim Clinic right after Nationals with instruction by
Austin's world record holders and Olympians? or

2) watch a Duel in the Pool type meet where attendees could watch these athletes race then attend a meet and greet / photo opp / autograph opp right afterwards?

Just Curious,
Please let me know and I'll let them know

Ande

SwimStud
December 6th, 2007, 01:05 PM
I think the clinic would be of greater interest IMHO. There's no reason though why there couldn't be a clinic and a Duel too..

smontanaro
December 6th, 2007, 01:46 PM
As impressive as these folks are as swimmers I think I'd much rather have a clinic. That said, it's highly unlikely that I'll be at Nationals (even though Austin is far and away my favorite city in Texas).

Skip Montanaro

gull
December 6th, 2007, 02:02 PM
A clinic would be great. Would you consider the Wednesday before, instead of the Monday after?

Funny story--after my daughter's first workout with Longhorn Aquatics last summer, I asked her who the coach was. She said it was some guy named Neil.

some_girl
December 6th, 2007, 02:19 PM
I would stick around for a clinic after. Before would be hard I think, especially since so many people don't swim the distance events.

aquageek
December 6th, 2007, 02:21 PM
She said it was some guy named Neil.

Young? Armstrong? Sedaka? Diamond? Patrick Harris?

Give it up, name dropper.

gull
December 6th, 2007, 02:53 PM

Did I mention that she saw Matthew shopping in Whole Foods?

BillS
December 6th, 2007, 03:07 PM
I would be interested in a clinic after.

scyfreestyler
December 6th, 2007, 05:12 PM
I don't know that I will be going to Austin next year after all, but otherwise I would have been very happy to put on a clinic for y'all. :p

gull
December 6th, 2007, 05:40 PM
I would stick around for a clinic after. Before would be hard I think, especially since so many people don't swim the distance events.

I thought the sprinters were just going to throw technique out the window and swim like Nystrand.

The Fortress
December 6th, 2007, 06:14 PM
I thought the sprinters were just going to throw technique out the window and swim like Nystrand.

There are non-freestyle events fortunately.

hofffam
December 6th, 2007, 06:25 PM

I'm sure he means Neil Walker, who is a part-time coach for Longhorn Aquatics.

Sam Perry
December 6th, 2007, 06:56 PM
There are non-freestyle events fortunately.

I don't think Nystrand's was freestyle either! :D

chaos
December 6th, 2007, 09:05 PM
i would stick around for some ow swimming.

pwolf66
December 6th, 2007, 11:04 PM
I would seriously consider extending my stay a day for a clinic.

Paul

Blackbeard's Peg
December 7th, 2007, 12:43 AM

likewise.

ande, i was planning on trying to stick around to celebrate cinco de mayo in tex-mex style... so with luck, i'll be around for whatever, whenever, as long as it doesn't interfere with some drinkin!

Peter Cruise
December 7th, 2007, 02:34 AM
Perhaps the some combination of the words 'duel', 'clinic' and 'drinking' could be worked out. I am sure Paul Smith would be up for it.

lefty
December 7th, 2007, 04:34 PM
Either one would be great, having them swim a race or two in the meet would be awesome too.

Jeff Commings
December 7th, 2007, 05:52 PM
I've already booked my ticket to leave first thing Monday morning, but I think Eddie and the Texas Trio, plus Neil and a few others, would not have a problem with an hourlong clinic.

It's a rare opportunity to have nationals at a university with such accomplished athletes. Take advantage of it!

pwolf66
December 7th, 2007, 08:54 PM
Let me correct my earlier statement.

I would stay for a clinic on Monday. Would love for it to be about 2 hours or so but hey, beggars and all that....

Paul

ourswimmer
December 8th, 2007, 03:12 PM

Lake Travis will probably already be pretty warm in May, but not as ridiculously hot as it will be in August and September. I'd go for an OW swim as well. I might be able to round up a kayaker or two, too.

pwolf66
December 22nd, 2007, 01:39 PM
Any further word on this?

I would love to have a session be it formal or not where I could get some l33t :thhbbb: swimmers to help with technique. One of the huge things I am struggling with is HOW to kick better. There's all sorts of info available on how to improve your stroke, pull, etc but I'm struggling to find information on what a 'proper' flutter kick should look and feel like. Sure kicking more will help but I still don't know if I'm kicking RIGHT.

When I kick I just don't feel like I go anywhere. 25m with a board takes me about 25 seconds sprint kicking from a push off and I'm absolutely DEVESTATED when I reach the other wall.

Even if there's nothing 'formal' would it be possible to at least have a get together on that Monday? Maybe I could workout with the Masters team there?

Paul

ande
December 22nd, 2007, 02:03 PM
no word on this yet
I mentioned it to IAN and he said he'd talk with his agent
I'll send an email to eddie, kris, & charles logan.
It would be cool to if
Aaron, Brendan, Eddie, Ian, Neil Walker, & Kirsty Coventry

would do something.

ande

in the mean time
keep doing the kicking training I suggest in the
"Help My Kick is Horrible"
and post your progress

Any further word on this?

I would love to have a session be it formal or not where I could get some l33t :thhbbb: swimmers to help with technique. One of the huge things I am struggling with is HOW to kick better. There's all sorts of info available on how to improve your stroke, pull, etc but I'm struggling to find information on what a 'proper' flutter kick should look and feel like. Sure kicking more will help but I still don't know if I'm kicking RIGHT.

When I kick I just don't feel like I go anywhere. 25m with a board takes me about 25 seconds sprint kicking from a push off and I'm absolutely DEVESTATED when I reach the other wall.

Even if there's nothing 'formal' would it be possible to at least have a get together on that Monday? Maybe I could workout with the Masters team there?

Paul

KaizenSwimmer
December 23rd, 2007, 05:35 PM

Cap 2K race in Lady Bird (formerly Town) Lake is Sunday morning May 4. I'll be skipping the mens 500 to do it.

pwolf66
January 10th, 2008, 02:10 PM
So I am confirmed to be staying in Austin until early afternoon on Monday, May 5th. I would love to swim with any one either in a workout or in a drill session or what ever. Or I can just try to chase Ande around the pool, that should be good for about 10 minutes after which I'll just hang on a lane rope :notworthy:

Look forward to meeting y'all

Paul

matysekj
January 10th, 2008, 02:18 PM
I too am staying until later Monday afternoon. I'm planning on being sick of swimming by then and will instead head off to the LBJ presidential library on Monday morning. It looks to be within walking distance of the pool. I've been to the Truman library here and found it fascinating, so seeing another presidential library is a must. Anyone else available on Monday and interested can PM me or catch me at the meet if you want to wander through it together.

pwolf66
January 10th, 2008, 06:53 PM
That's the joy of sprinting :thhbbb: It's over in 35 seconds or less. Not enough time to become sick of swimming.

Paul

pwolf66
February 13th, 2008, 06:26 PM
Sooooo, another month has passed. Any news?