PDA

View Full Version : My Colonies Zone meet experience

FindingMyInnerFish
December 9th, 2007, 10:54 AM
... had its ups and downs, but I did a few things I'm happy about:

1. Diving off the block: This was my goal for the Rutgers meet. Earlier I'd started in the water, or took my dive off the side, but I wanted to get up my courage and take the block and not fall off. I'm happy to say that in both events, the 100 and 200 free, I was able to do this. The 100 dive was better (too deep on the 200) but both were, in fact, dives.

2. My ultimate goal is to break two minutes, yes, you heard right, not one but TWO minutes in the 100--ridiculously slow, but ya gotta start somewhere: Since this was SCM, I realized that breaking 2 mins. would likely be unrealistic, so my goal in this particular meet was for the SCY conversion to come out less than two minutes. I did 2:08.17, which converted in SCY to 1:54.xx (can't remember the decimal), so that step in my goal was accomplished. Plus, I'd put a pretty conservative seed time down b/c I wasn't sure what to expect for meters, and beat that time by 20 seconds.

The down side was the 200 free, mainly my fault: even though I was pretty near the start area, I didn't actually hear the start of my event announced--a lot of background noise, and I had stepped away for a moment from the actual start area. By the time I realized the event was about to start, I was too late. Fortunately, they were nice enough to let me swim in a spare lane in the next heat. Since these would all be faster swimmers, I wasn't going to worry about where they were in the pool, just focus on my own swim. But that's pretty much what I did in the hundred so that was no big deal.

Anyway, took the block and heard "take your mark"--and a splash... and thinking maybe I missed the buzzer, I dove off... and false started. So got back up, took the block again, and this time the dive went uneventfully except as mentioned a bit too deep. But hey said I to self, forget all that, just focus. And yet my splits were going down the tube each time... from 1:04 at 50 to 2:21 at 100 to 4:56 at the end. Yikes! I was hoping just to go under about 4:45, but no dice this time. However, fortunately, the 200 wasn't the event I was focusing on for this meet, just figured why travel all the way to Rutgers just to do one event, so threw in the 200 to get some more yards. Probably that figured in to my reduced focus on this event, but I kept it in mind that the hundred which was the more important event had fulfilled my hope.

In the hundred, my split was faster in the first fifty also and had I maintained my 59 would have broken 2 mins. I think the dive was what helped my time, though, in that first fifty, so without that, I guess some slowdown would be expected.. but that much? Well, that will be my next goal: to stay on pace!

Paul, sorry we didn't get to meet, but next time...

Hope others have results they're happy with...
Good swimming to all!

pwolf66
December 9th, 2007, 04:31 PM
Sorry that we didn't meet up. I was stressing a bit and lost in my own little world.

Paul

art_z
December 9th, 2007, 07:15 PM
my memorable experience was my first ever false start in 30 plus years .. d'oh!

FindingMyInnerFish
December 10th, 2007, 10:26 AM
my memorable experience was my first ever false start in 30 plus years .. d'oh!

Mine was my first ever false start--but then again, I don't have a whole lot of swim competition experience.

But I discovered something about false starts: getting back up onto the pool deck was a bit of an issue for me, heh! Thankfully an official gave me a hand!

My two last place in age group finishes--7th of seven--were made up for yesterday in a 5k run, where I finished second in my age group out of seven! :wine:

swimshark
December 10th, 2007, 03:05 PM
Congrats on your met. Sound like overall a good experience. The bad... well, you learn from that.

Alison

imspoiled
December 11th, 2007, 02:39 PM
FMIF-

I think I was a few heats behind you in that 200 free. Saw the false start, but it was the person in lane 3 or 4 that made the splash first. Your start (the first one that I saw) looked good. I never would have guessed you were a starting block novice. Great job!

I came in DFL in a few of my events too, but I swam good times and had a lot of fun. Hopefully, we can bump into each other at a Del Val meet in the near future.

Dana

FindingMyInnerFish
December 11th, 2007, 04:26 PM
FMIF-

I think I was a few heats behind you in that 200 free. Saw the false start, but it was the person in lane 3 or 4 that made the splash first. Your start (the first one that I saw) looked good. I never would have guessed you were a starting block novice. Great job!

I came in DFL in a few of my events too, but I swam good times and had a lot of fun. Hopefully, we can bump into each other at a Del Val meet in the near future.

Dana

Thanks, that's good to hear! I'm now especially appreciative of my coach who took the time to help me master the block and not get too nervous. Maybe eventually I'll even be able to do flip turns!

I hope I can get to some more meets in the winter, so I can practice what I'm learning!