PDA

View Full Version : shoulder ice pack suggestions

MAH
December 10th, 2007, 01:02 PM
Any suggestions on best brands of shoulder ice packs? Am open to either the freeze pack or old fashioned ice cubes. Dr. says its bursitis, but didnt dissapear after 9 month layoff, so decided to start swimming again, icing does help but cant seem to rig the ice packs to stay where I need them. Any suggestions appreciated.

poolraat
December 10th, 2007, 01:16 PM
Any suggestions on best brands of shoulder ice packs? Am open to either the freeze pack or old fashioned ice cubes. Dr. says its bursitis, but didnt dissapear after 9 month layoff, so decided to start swimming again, icing does help but cant seem to rig the ice packs to stay where I need them. Any suggestions appreciated.

Get a bag of frozen veggies like peas or corn. They work great and are re-useable.

Kurt Dickson
December 10th, 2007, 02:11 PM
I don't know if you are supposed to endorse products on this forum, but the proseries is dreamy on my aching shoulders. It is an ice bag that slips in a stretchy wetsuit type material, then velcros on for a good fit. I think it is made for volleyball players (strong enough for a man--swimmers, but made for a woman--volleyball players).
http://www.winningedgesports.com/ProSeries.htm

BabsVa
December 10th, 2007, 02:35 PM
Coach E says: bag of frozen peas, then put on a tight t-shirt, it will keep the thing in place. It works.

fanstone
December 10th, 2007, 02:49 PM
Ever thought of a cortisone or similar shot into bothering bursa? Hey, I am not the doctor here, but you can always ask, maybe it isn't your case, but sometimes a shot will do wonders.

swimr4life
December 10th, 2007, 03:11 PM
Frozen peas work wonders! It molds better than anything I've ever used. Just make sure you put it back into the freezer immediately after using!

Surfsalterpath
December 10th, 2007, 11:31 PM
i just read that dishwashing liquid in a baggie and put in the freezer for a while works very well...

try it and go figure.....

blainesapprentice
December 11th, 2007, 01:21 PM
If you have some money to blow...the Cryo Cuff is amazing. My parents bought it for me prior to my first shoulder reconstruction..and I lived in it for the first week after my surgery to prevent swelling. I use it now whenever I am having shoulder pain now and after a day or so of use I am feeling great again.

I think the ice plus the compression it provides is what really gets it done.