PDA

View Full Version : Swimming blind

JMiller
December 11th, 2007, 02:26 PM
Of course, I never leave the wall at exactly the same time, and I never look up at the clock in exactly the same way, so it's difficult to compare 25 times between workouts.

Jazz Band,

2fish&1whale
December 11th, 2007, 09:51 PM
You should have used a better title for your post, I only found it by clicking on different posts "blindly":joker:
But seriously, I see a lot of swimmers at my pool that seem to be obsessed with the clock and spend most of their workouts sprinting, trying to beat the clock.
But if they did not have the clock poolside would they be able to tell by feel alone if they were on target with their time?
Since I swim breaststroke only and long distance sets at that, I do not bother with the clock, but I can usualy tell if I am "off" by the way my stroke falls apart.
Is it important to use the clock in every workout, like when you swim sets of 500-1000Y/M? Or is it strickly useful for the sprinter?

echo
December 11th, 2007, 09:55 PM
http://forums.usms.org/showthread.php?t=6643&highlight=pace+clock

2fish&1whale
December 11th, 2007, 09:56 PM
TY.....

tomtopo
December 13th, 2007, 11:53 AM
The clock is one of the most important tools used to help a swimmer improve. Nothing is wrong when you swim for the health of it, but competitive swimmers who want to improve and drop times need to keep track of their times. In order to improve your DPS you need a watch. To determine whether your kick is getting better, you need a watch. To determine if you are in getting in better shape, you need a watch - and the list goes on....

The times you don't need a watch are when you're working on shaping your stroke (improving stroke patterns) or drilling. If you don't use a clock correctly that's one thing, but not using the clock is not a good idea for swimmers who want to improve.

Allen Stark
December 14th, 2007, 09:12 PM
Sometimes especially early in the season I don't use a clock(watch),but generally one is indispensable. I swim by myself and the clock is how I pace myself.How can I know if I am going the pace I want to without the clock.I am pretty good by feel alone,but not good enough.I use my digital watch and pretty much always leave at the same time and look at my watch in the same way.