View Full Version : Women On Weights

The Fortress
December 12th, 2007, 01:04 PM
Who is lifting?
What weights are you doing?
How many pounds?
How many reps?
How often?

After looking at Jazz Hand's weights and seeing Jonathan's recommendation of 40-60 reps at light weight, I've decided I'm pretty weak. lol. I've only been doing pretty light weights to keep the shoulders and back strong. Scared to do anything to put much weight directly on my shoulders.

ALM
December 12th, 2007, 01:23 PM
Ahh, the beauty of the "search" function. I posted the below message in a thread two years ago:
--------------
I started lifting weights about 2 years ago to try to increase my bone density. It hasn't helped my swim times at all. I'm doing a slightly different type of weightlifting, though, so I don't know whether I should have expected it to affect my swimming.

I do a group weight class at my gym (Bally). They call it "PowerFlex", but I've seen similar class descriptions at other gyms with names like "Body Pump". It's an hour-long class with an instructor like you'd find in an aerobics class.

We use free weights - a single bar with weight plates. They're lightweight bars (2.5 pounds) with plates that are easily put on and taken off. The plates are 2.5, 5, and 10 pounds, and the bar will hold a maximum of 3 plates on each side. The most weight that can fit on the bar is 60 pounds (3 10-lb plates on each side).

The sets are all done to music with the instructor calling out the moves. Each muscle group is worked for 4 minutes. So, for example, we do 4 minutes of squats to the beat of the music. We might do eight single squats, then eight where we're going down on 2 counts and back up on 2 counts, then 8 more singles, then 8 where we're going down 3 counts, up one, etc. In a four-minute set I'd guess that we do about 100 squats. You have to keep the weight fairly low to be able to do that many reps. (I am currently lifting 35 pounds on the squat set, for example.)

We do four minutes on each muscle group: quads, chest, glutes/hamstrings, back, triceps, biceps, shoulders, and abs.

As with swimming, I've found that I am more inclined to do the weight workouts (and to work harder) if I'm in a group setting than if I try to work out on my own. Even though it may not be the perfect weight workout for swimming, I HAVE to lift weights for my bone density and at least this gets me to the gym.
------------------

2007 update: I'm still doing pretty much the same thing. What's interesting about this type of weight lifting is that it's a great equalizer. One of the instructors is 44 years old and smaller than me (I'm 105 lbs.), yet she can lift as much or more weight, with better form, than any of the men in the class!

Anna Lea

swimshark
December 12th, 2007, 03:46 PM
Who is lifting?
What weights are you doing?
How many pounds?
How many reps?
How often?

I lift usually twice a week. Once at the gym after spin or yoga and once at home. I do arms and abs. Biceps are around 20 lbs, triceps about 15 lbs. Squats using 20 lbs in each arm same with calf raises. I go as heavy as I can with only doing 12 reps. If I can do more, I go up in weights. I do worry about my wrist so I also watch that I don't over do.

Alison

dorothyrde
December 12th, 2007, 03:54 PM
I just finished 5 weeks of hitting each body part once a week.

Sumo squats 60 pound barbell
Jefferson squats 25 pound dumbell
barbell rows 60 pounds
Chest press and flies 20 pound dumbells
pull over 25 pound dumbbell
overhead tricep extension 20 pound dumbbell
overhead press 15 pound dumbells
side laterals 10 pound dumbells
bicep barbell curl 35 pound barbell and also use 15 pound dumbbells

I do a lot of finishing work with the dyna band, green color. After lifting heavy, burn the muscle out with a dyna band, it hurts so good.

I have had limited pool time this week, some grave life issues in the way, so cannot judge the effect on swiming but my body is buff!

The Fortress
December 12th, 2007, 03:56 PM
What are Jefferson squats?

nkfrench
December 12th, 2007, 03:58 PM
I used to do more traditional stuff. 15 years ago it was benching 125# freeweights. Now I just do a couple of reps of less conventional stuff on the machines (8-12 reps) and not so much benchpress (weaker after 15 years off). I only lift once a week. Triceps, rowing, and lats about 100#. Bench dip about 220#. Pecs about 85#. Biceps 50#. Calf/heel raises, hip add/add and leg presses about 250#. Coach has us do some stuff twice a week with no weights (medicine balls, body weight, etc). Lots of it I can't do / pressure on my bad knee surfaces. None of it translates to pool speed anyhow. :)

Surfergirl
December 12th, 2007, 03:59 PM
I also recently started lifting. I do pullups, chinups, dips, squats, deadlifts, and lunges (and pushups). I don't know if it has any effect on my swimming but swimming sure feels good when my lats are sore from pullups!

dorothyrde
December 12th, 2007, 04:00 PM
They are very slow squats toward one ankle. So you have the weight in your left hand and you do a squat, with a little lean toward the right side. Then you can get real mean and hold the squat down and shift your toes in and out to add just a bit of instability and really work the muscles. I do a lot of other leg exercises as well, just the sumos and the jeffersons really made me hurt(in a good way). I did static lunges, deadlifts, work the band and do leg lifts, and such.

My muscles were fairly fatigued by the end of the 5 weeks even though I only worked each muscle once a week, so this week has been weight lifting rest.
Tomorrow I am going to start lifting more endurance until the end of the year, so my weights will be much lighter, 40 pounds for legs, and depending on the muscle 5-20 for the upper body.

Also, lots of core work, doing that at least 4 times per week.

Weight lifting is my first exercise love! I tend to get results very fast from it in terms of muscle building.

edited to add: I also lift at home for convenience. I could probably lift much heavier if I had a spotter. Since I don't have that luxury(hubby does not want to get up at 5 and spot me, go figure), I lift what I can safely.

CreamPuff
December 12th, 2007, 06:32 PM
Me.

3x/ week

1 hour routine

3 sets of 12 increasing weight each set. My goal is to go up to 3 sets of 15 (per my coach's recommendation). I hit about 20 exercises (machines and free weights).

Since I committed to a weight routine, I've found that I have an extra, new, fast "gear" in swimming. It's rather exciting. So, if we are descending a set of 100 frees, I can actually go super fast (a new speed) on the last one. I've also found that my first few strokes are really strong and I get out ahead of my competition. I hit a :57.6 from a push in the 100 free at the end of practice which is rather good for me. I attribute this to the weight routine.

Muscles worked are:
Bis
Tris
Lats
Shoulders
Stomach
Back
Calves
Hamstrings
Quads
Pecs
I also do pullups and dips.

I plan to add 4x50 crunches (I have a weak core) and bands (for fly) to my routine in the next month or so.

I also really enjoy doing freeweights (dumbbells) on an unsteady surface. Really works the core/ abs. Not sure what the piece of equipment is called that I stand on (it's like a mushy half sphere), but it takes tons of coordination, balance, and a strong core.

Weights really up my metabolism too which is a bonus.

ALM
December 12th, 2007, 06:46 PM
Not sure what the piece of equipment is called that I stand on (it's like a mushy half sphere), but it takes tons of coordination, balance, and a strong core.

The "mushy half sphere" is a BOSU trainer. BOSU stands for "Both Sides Utilized." Are you standing on the flat side or the mushy side?

See them here:
http://www.bosupro.com/scripts/cgiip.exe/WService=bpro/link?src=BProS

CreamPuff
December 12th, 2007, 08:36 PM
The "mushy half sphere" is a BOSU trainer. BOSU stands for "Both Sides Utilized." Are you standing on the flat side or the mushy side?

See them here:
http://www.bosupro.com/scripts/cgiip.exe/WService=bpro/link?src=BProS

That's it! I love it! I started out using one side only; however, after some practice, I can comfortably do both sides (I alternate.)

The Fortress
December 12th, 2007, 09:35 PM
Me.

3x/ week

1 hour routine

3 sets of 12 increasing weight each set. My goal is to go up to 3 sets of 15 (per my coach's recommendation). I hit about 20 exercises (machines and free weights).

Since I committed to a weight routine, I've found that I have an extra, new, fast "gear" in swimming. It's rather exciting. So, if we are descending a set of 100 frees, I can actually go super fast (a new speed) on the last one. I've also found that my first few strokes are really strong and I get out ahead of my competition. I hit a :57.6 from a push in the 100 free at the end of practice which is rather good for me. I attribute this to the weight routine.

Muscles worked are:
Bis
Tris
Lats
Shoulders
Stomach
Back
Calves
Hamstrings
Quads
Pecs
I also do pullups and dips.

I plan to add 4x50 crunches (I have a weak core) and bands (for fly) to my routine in the next month or so.

I also really enjoy doing freeweights (dumbbells) on an unsteady surface. Really works the core/ abs. Not sure what the piece of equipment is called that I stand on (it's like a mushy half sphere), but it takes tons of coordination, balance, and a strong core.

Weights really up my metabolism too which is a bonus.

Hey, I love that bosu thing too! I do alternating hammers and bicep curls on it (15 pounds). I also do bicycles and superman streamlines on the bosu. I also do a balance exercise where you stand with one foot on the bosu, other leg up and lifting a weight with one arm. I also do lunges with 10 or 15 pound hand weights where you put one foot on top of the smushy side of the bosu and lunge. Harder that way.

I usually hit the gym for 45 minutes to an hour 2x a week, sometimes if I'm really good 3x for a lesser time period. I do (usually, varies) some of the following. I don't know the names for all the machines. lol

ab machine at 90 pounds (2 x 20 or 25)
lower back machine (2 x 15)
rows (2 x 15)
chest press, low weight, do not bend elbows (2 x 25) (for the RC)
seated dip, low weight, do not bend elbows (2 x 25)(for the RC)
tricep kick backs, low weight (for the RC)
ankle press
lat pull down at 70 lb (scared to do more b/c of shoulder) (2 x 15)
shoulder pulley machine
adductors/abductors
other stuff too ... depends what I'm in the mood for

I've stopped doing leg extensions and squats. Don't think I need any more leg work.

I also like the stability ball. I'll do iron monkeys, crunches, superman streamlines (very hard), a crunch for the lower abs, etc. I do all sorts of other exercises for core work. I've focused much more on core work/crunches lately, as it's just more fun for me. But I may have to buckle down and do some real weights ... I just can't do bench press or pull ups or that hazardous shoulder stuff.

Anyone done any of the high rep weights that Jonathan was talking about?

Other suggestions?

P.S. Using a monofin is like a weight workout. Great for the core and legs.