PDA

View Full Version : Cell phone carrier recommendations?

smontanaro
December 16th, 2007, 04:28 PM
We've had Sprint since, I don't know, 1997 or 1998. I'm pretty fed up with them at this point, for any of a number of reasons:

New charges appear mysteriously
When you cross some threshold into the "oh my god - this is going to cost you a bundle" region you're never notified
The vague sense that as a long-term customer I'm completely taken for granted
The overall complexity of the service offerings

Coverage isn't an issue. We live in the Chicago area. Over the years Sprint's coverage has continued to get better to the point where we routinely expect to have some coverage even in the most out-of-the-way places.

Our current contract is up in March 2008, so we're scouting around for a new provider. Does anyone have anything good to say about their cell phone provider?

Thx,

Skip Montanaro

nyswimmer
December 16th, 2007, 08:31 PM
I've been very pleased with T-Mobile. They have, I think, the lowest rates of any major cell company, plus their customer service is excellent. (They have good coverage in the New York area, but I don't know about the rest of the country). :applaud:.

Blackbeard's Peg
December 16th, 2007, 10:35 PM
Like most electronic service providers (ie cable, internet, cell), I don't think you're really going to find anyone who will give you any sort of benefit for being a long-term customer. Most folks give you a perk to switch or sign up for new services, and then once that perk time-period is up, up up go your rates.
Check with you and our spouse's company to see if you get a national account discount with any providers. I get a pretty nice discount through my employer for my Cingular service. I bought a smartphone, and the data service doubles my bill (data is usually a separate charge from voice); but after the discount, the total charge is much more manageable.
Since you have some time, do some research on the various phones offered by the various providers. Check out what your coworkers and friends have and ask what they think of their phone (and provider too). :weightlifter: