PDA

View Full Version : Poll: Minimum safe lane width

deisner
December 16th, 2007, 05:44 PM
1) What is the minimum lane width for safe circle swimming?
2) What is the lane width you would recommend for a new pool?
3) Have you or a teammate ever been injured in a collision in the pool?

pwolf66
December 16th, 2007, 05:46 PM
1) What is the minimum lane width for safe circle swimming?
2) What is the lane width you would recommend for a new pool?
3) Have you or a teammate ever been injured in a collision in the pool?

1) 6 feet.
2) 7.5 feet.
3) Yes.

Paul

ALM
December 16th, 2007, 05:56 PM
For circle swimming, the wider the better. The lane width requirement for the Olympics and world championship events is 2.5 meters (8.2 feet). This is a good width for circle swimming. Unfortunately, most of us don't have such luxury at our pools.

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swimming_pool#Competition_pools:

An Olympic sized swimming pool is a pool that meets FINA's additional standards for the Olympic Games and for world championship events. It must be 50 m (~164 feet) in length by 25 m (~82 feet) wide, divided into eight lanes of 2.5 m (~8.2 feet) each plus two areas of 2.5 m (~8.2 feet) at each side of the pool.

The water must be kept at 2528C (77-82.4F) and the lighting level at greater than 1500 lux. Depth must be at least 2 m (~6.5 feet), and there are also regulations for color of lane rope, positioning of backstroke flags (5 meters from each wall), and so on. Pools claimed to be "Olympic pools" do not always meet these regulations, as FINA cannot police use of the term.

Anna Lea

blainesapprentice
December 16th, 2007, 09:09 PM
3. I shattered my wrist during a collision with a teammate. Granted, he was in the lane next to me--we split lanes when there are only two in a lane, so he was coming back as I was going down and we were both hugging the same lane line to prevent hitting our lane partners and we hit wrists--he walked away hardly even knowing we had collided and I walked away in a cast for 12weeks. Lets keep in mind that he was a 20.0 50 free swimmer and a 45.0 in the 100free, I don't think with the typical lap swimming collision incident that an injury of this caliber would have been sustained.

funkyfish
December 16th, 2007, 10:23 PM
1) Maybe 5.5' minimum (don't really know)?
2) As wide as you can afford.
3) I've had a few "patty cakes" but nothing serious. In high school I witnessed one of our female IM'ers starting out backstroke, and one of the divers on our team decided to swim a set with the swimmers, only he started at the other end and didn't know what we (or he) was doing. They both reached the middle of the pool and BAM! (aka 60s holy cow, Batman BAM!) they collided. He was a smallish guy, and she was, well, she had strong shoulders and lots of power. He lived to tell the tale but didn't want to jump in on any swimming sets again.

Now, where's the BAM emoticon?

BillS
December 17th, 2007, 12:19 PM
3. I got confused about whether we were circling or splitting a couple weeks ago, and smacked head on into a young female triathlete. I'm 6'2" and about 195; she's maybe 5'8" and goes at best a buck fifteen. We were both swimming a moderate pace free.

She was unscathed, while I came up bleeding from several places, including from a missing good-sized chunk off the side of my nose. And it hurt, too. My teammates were much amused that I got the worst of it. The collidee and I consoled ourselves with the thought that our head positions must be pretty good to have missed seeing one another. And the karma was right, too, because it was my fault.

Be careful out there.