PDA

View Full Version : Training for the 200-500yd free

SwimMann
December 17th, 2007, 01:44 AM
How do good college swimmers train for the 200/500 yard free? What sort of dryland are they doing, yardage, workouts, ect??

blainesapprentice
December 17th, 2007, 08:49 AM
How do good college swimmers train for the 200/500 yard free? What sort of dryland are they doing, yardage, workouts, ect??

Up until this year/season (senior season that is), I was primarily a 200 swimmer. I trained with the sprinters generally, and we did a lot of endurance sprint sets...broken 200s for time, 9x50 (ez, 12.5 hard, 37.5 ez, 25hard 25ez, 37.5 hard 12.5 ez, 50hard, and then back down the ladder) and the same set in 9x100. Typically a single practice for us averaged about 5,400yards-5,700yards.

This year however, they have my swimming the 500 and possibly the 1000/1650 as well as the 200free. I alternate days with the distance and sprint folks...and since I come from a sprinter background thats really how I do approach the 500...as a sprint so my coach isn't too concerned with changing my workouts that awful much. My goal for the end of the season is to go a 5:12 or lower...so in my opinion that really is a sprint 500 for me lol. For the 500 we do a lot of 10x100sets (I've been doing 5 @1:20, 2 @1:10 (with fins), 3@115 (without fins)) 3x (20x25) (swim one round, kick one round, swim the last round) When I swim with the distance group our workouts tend to be about 6,000 yards-6,500yards

Dryland we do the same as anyone else on the team--we don't have any event specific dryland breakdowns. We do a ton of abs (with and without the exercise ball), a few squats and deep knee bends, some wall sits, some jump roping and occasionally when my coach isn't feeling lazy, we'll drag out the medicine balls and do circuits with them.
^^I don't really think our dryland program is the most effective...I always leave without having broken a sweat, or feeling any form of burn--which is obviously an indication that either I'm not working hard enough or the workout isn't hard enough--its probably a combination of them both. I think that a good dryland program should include some cross training practices like running or biking at least a few days a week. I speed skate in addition to swim, and I feel like that has helped my swimming (leg strength and endurance) immensely.

Hope something in there helps!

SwimMann
December 17th, 2007, 03:06 PM
Yeah that helps quite a bit. I come from a running background where for 3-4 months there would be an off-season where we'd just log a lot of miles, building our aerobic system up. Do the workouts change much in swimming duirng an off-season?

Shaman
December 17th, 2007, 06:21 PM
There's isn't much of an off-season in swimming.