PDA

View Full Version : 2008 dues increase?

jmeyer
December 17th, 2007, 01:58 PM
There have been some grumblings at practice about the 2008 dues increase to $40/year. We're confused what the additional $5 for "professionalization of the organization" will get us. Even at $35/year, the fees seem pretty steep considering it's not obvious to the casual member where these fees go. Could someone at Pacific Masters give us some more information? We know that a portion of our dues goes towards the magazine subscription, but where does the rest of the money go?

Brian Stack
December 17th, 2007, 06:19 PM
There have been some grumblings at practice about the 2008 dues increase to $40/year. We're confused what the additional $5 for "professionalization of the organization" will get us. Even at $35/year, the fees seem pretty steep considering it's not obvious to the casual member where these fees go. Could someone at Pacific Masters give us some more information? We know that a portion of our dues goes towards the magazine subscription, but where does the rest of the money go?

How about paying for the liability insurance that allows teams to rent pools?
Only a small portion of your dues goes to the USMS Swimmer magazine. Another part goes to USMS to cover admin expenses, and some comes back to Pacific Masters for similar expenses. Someone with more hard data may join in with the detailed breakdown, but I think it's pretty amazing that an organization with 40,000 members can run on $40.00 a year from each member. You should drop in to a Pacific Masters Committee meeting sometime to get a sense of what Pacific Masters Swimming does for you and your team.

Karen Duggan
January 2nd, 2008, 03:30 PM
Nancy Ridout would be the one to e-mail for that breakdown of expenses. You also would have access to this information if you attend a meeting, as Brian mentioned. The minutes and reports of every meeting are also available if you just ask :) BTW, most of the people running Pacific do so on a volunteer basis.

Pacific is the largest LMSC in the country at about 10,000 members. Being so large it is necessary to run an office to handle communications alone. With an office comes routine bills: phone, office equipment, computers, office equipment, etc. PMS also has a huge library of VHS/DVDs that may be checked out by our membership. PMS also runs several clinics a year and is always trying to promote Masters Swimming, especially by providing training for new coaches, with the hopes that more teams will come into being.

The list truly goes on, believe me. But you should also be aware, as Michael Moore put out several times in the last few months, that PMS did not increase OUR dues, USMS did. As for myself, I'm not too keen on the whole "top-down" reorganization of USMS, but that's another post entirely.

Karen Duggan
Secretary, Pacific Masters Swimming

SearayPaul
January 2nd, 2008, 10:29 PM
I am not sure what I paid to join USMS this year but I consider it to have been money well spent, as well as being a great bargin. Thanks USMS for your great orginzation that promotes swimming.

Karen Duggan
January 3rd, 2008, 02:08 PM
Here, here to USMS!

I like to golf too, and if I keep in mind that one round of golf is more expensive than a year of USMS dues- it is really quite cheap!