PDA

View Full Version : first 100IM......ever. Video posted.

rtodd
December 17th, 2007, 08:49 PM
OK,

Here it is and I take correction well so don't be afraid to tell me all the things you see wrong.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65V5ilC44T0

cowsvils
December 17th, 2007, 10:37 PM
nvm

JMiller
December 18th, 2007, 01:40 AM
Nice race... You WON by a lot there...

Any chance you could get some under-water video work done? That would be much more constructive...

I did notice some things, but it would really help to see what was going on under-water before trying to make any corrective suggestions...

Again, well done, and keep up the good work!

rtodd
December 18th, 2007, 06:06 PM
I'm lucky I took the time to get this done. Don't hold your breath for underwater video, no pun intended. If there is anything obvious I am doing wrong, please tell me, especially the free.

I know the breastroke was too shallow and I should have been DQ'd.

new
December 18th, 2007, 06:37 PM
Without go into "technique" problems...

You really have to work on your turns, especially back-breast

Nice race!

pwolf66
December 18th, 2007, 08:37 PM
I would recommend that you work on your dolphin kicks, judging by the undulations that I saw in your feet that were not present in your hips, you are kicking from your knees too much.

And as was suggested earlier, really work on nailing your turns. Remember the start and the turns are free speed. It's a shame to waste it.

Paul

JMiller
December 18th, 2007, 10:40 PM
I'm lucky I took the time to get this done. Don't hold your breath for underwater video, no pun intended. If there is anything obvious I am doing wrong, please tell me, especially the free.

I know the breastroke was too shallow and I should have been DQ'd.

Okay... You're fly kick could be better timed with your arm cycles, you need to also try and keep it tighter and not such a large down beat... (Higher frequency, lower amplitude..) I find doing skipping and jumping jacks simultaneously is one way to train the butterfly tempo..

Your under-water back kick needs some work... see this link
http://forums.usms.org/showpost.php?p=115560&postcount=26

The kick during backstroke could be tighter and faster tempo (closer to the surface)..

Back to breast turn... Try and do a backwards flip, or back-side flip (way faster)

I'm not an expert on breastroke, but it seems your kick could be better... don't spread knees so far, instead bring heels straight up to your butt and then point out toes while keeping knees together and fast like!! hold glide longer, focus on forward motion.. A good tool to train this is Distance per stroke... see the math details on TI, they know their stuff...

Freestyle, you have a pause in your tempo.. I'd try this drill for a few months, 6x50 with fins, head up freestyle with dolphin kick, just as a drill to train the tempo... 3xweek focus on not pausing during arm cycle...

I could probably find more after you start working on these areas.
Oh, and by the way, you have talent... good proportions, etc...
How long have you been swimming?

Cheers,

rtodd
December 18th, 2007, 10:52 PM
I would recommend that you work on your dolphin kicks, judging by the undulations that I saw in your feet that were not present in your hips, you are kicking from your knees too much.

Paul,

Thanks, I need to work on the kicking. I don't do enough of it during workouts. I find it frustrating to do alot in practice due to aggravating my lower back.

Okay... You're fly kick could be better timed with your arm cycles, you need to also try and keep it tighter and not such a large down beat... (Higher frequency, lower amplitude..) I find doing skipping and jumping jacks simultaneously is one way to train the butterfly tempo..

Your under-water back kick needs some work... see this link
http://forums.usms.org/showpost.php?...0&postcount=26

The kick during backstroke could be tighter and faster tempo (closer to the surface)..

Back to breast turn... Try and do a backwards flip, or back-side flip (way faster)

I'm not an expert on breastroke, but it seems your kick could be better... don't spread knees so far, instead bring heels straight up to your butt and then point out toes while keeping knees together and fast like!! hold glide longer, focus on forward motion.. A good tool to train this is Distance per stroke... see the math details on TI, they know their stuff...

Freestyle, you have a pause in your tempo.. I'd try this drill for a few months, 6x50 with fins, head up freestyle with dolphin kick, just as a drill to train the tempo... 3xweek focus to not pausing during arm cycle...

Jonathan,

Thanks, all good stuff and I printed it out so I can keep reading over and over. I will need to work on that transition turn. That was way funny!!! I'll have to really study how it should be done.

JMiller
December 18th, 2007, 11:03 PM
Oh, and by the way, you have talent... good proportions, etc...
How long have you been swimming?

rtodd
December 18th, 2007, 11:23 PM
I think almost three years now. First year freestyle, then I started mixing in some breast and back during my swims to try to get through some shoulder issues. I did some fly workouts here and there but it seemed to bother my back so I rarely do it. I am hoping if I could learn to kick and fly correctly and maybe it would be OK on my back, but the trick is to get to that point without screwing it up.

I get some help from the guys I swim with but we don't have deck coaches watching and correcting me, so I am hoping to get alot of things to work on from this video.

rtodd
December 18th, 2007, 11:43 PM
Did I mention how exhausted I was? To those of you who do the 200 and 400, I salute you.

JMiller
December 19th, 2007, 12:27 PM
Wow... You've only been swimming for three years? That's incredible...
You've really improved, and you look quite good in the water, way to go...

I'd like to ask you more questions, do you care to join my Interview(s) with the Champion(s) thread? See, for me, anyone that trains regularly is a winner... A true Champion... The results are measured on your own clock, and the joy is equally as great.

As far as your butterfly/back issues... I would suggest that this is in large part due to the timing of your stroke, and perhaps your core strength... Can you train this more? The stronger your core is, the less discomfort you'll feel while swimming, and your energy from the pull will produce more forward motion with a stronger core...

Try these exercises, but ease into them over many weeks.... take it slow until you have appropriate adaptation...
http://forums.usms.org/showpost.php?p=115322&postcount=24

Keep up the good work, if you swim regularly, you are a winner!

dorothyrde
December 19th, 2007, 12:33 PM
Without go into "technique" problems...

You really have to work on your turns, especially back-breast

Nice race!

One thing that would help this turn is to go deeper so the pull-out is below the surface more. Your pull-out kick was on the surface, no power there. You should be shooting underneath the water, and when you feel the slow-down to kick, you should still be under that surface, because the kick will power you a bit more underneath before you break out to stroke. This takes practice, but I find it fun to get the feeling of shooting along underneath, so peaceful and fast.

Allen Stark
December 19th, 2007, 07:37 PM
The main thing I see in your breaststroke is that you are pulling too far back.This gets your hands stuck under you in the dreaded "prayer position" so that you don't get good acceleration in to your recovery.Your feet are too shallow and you are getting air with your kick,this may be due to bending at the hips on your kick recovery,but without underwater views I can't be sure. Given your relative beginner status I think your swim was GREAT:bouncing::bouncing::cheerleader::cheerleader :

rtodd
December 19th, 2007, 08:40 PM
As far as your butterfly/back issues... I would suggest that this is in large part due to the timing of your stroke, and perhaps your core strength... Can you train this more? The stronger your core is, the less discomfort you'll feel while swimming, and your energy from the pull will produce more forward motion with a stronger core...

I could always use more core work. Including roman chairs which I have not done in a long time.

One thing that would help this turn is to go deeper so the pull-out is below the surface more. Your pull-out kick was on the surface, no power there. You should be shooting underneath the water, and when you feel the slow-down to kick, you should still be under that surface, because the kick will power you a bit more underneath before you break out to stroke. This takes practice, but I find it fun to get the feeling of shooting along underneath, so peaceful and fast.

Good point. I started working on a flip turn today and I am cautiously optimistic.

The main thing I see in your breaststroke is that you are pulling too far back.This gets your hands stuck under you in the dreaded "prayer position" so that you don't get good acceleration in to your recovery.Your feet are too shallow and you are getting air with your kick,this may be due to bending at the hips on your kick recovery,but without underwater views I can't be sure.

This is great feedback. I struggle with this stroke enough when I am fresh let alone when I get tired! I have been told by others I am pulling too far back, so your comments reinforce this problem. I did feel my feet breaking the surface. Why? Also, how do I get height out of the water so I can get my core more involved?

runner girl
December 19th, 2007, 10:29 PM
I must say the start looked pretty good to me, in terms of reaction time and distance.

On the backstroke, is he rolling enough? I'm not sure.

As for working the butterfly kick without bothering your back, it might help kicking on your side and practicing SDK's on your back off the wall.

Al Black
December 21st, 2007, 06:31 PM
The first words my coach would have said to me were, "Why did you breathe with less than 5 metres to go?" (In my experience there is no correct reply to this question!)

In Donald's view the last 5 is where races are lost and won, where records are set or missed.

You get into the red float end-zone, you're nearly finished. You can do without that breath 3 - 4 metres from the wall. Drive the last five (that rhymes quite nicely!) and try to push the wall backwards with the force of your finish!

The other one would be breathing on first stroke out of the turn on freestyle. You're travelling at your fastest so don't turn your head and break the smooth line of the body. As soon as you turn to breathe you lose all the speed you had when driving off the wall.

Turn, drive, streamline (torpedo), glide, kick, stroke, stroke, THEN breathe!

It's well worth training yourself until this becomes your natural way to turn.

Good swim, by the way, you're MUCH faster than me!

Al.

rtodd
December 21st, 2007, 07:34 PM
Thanks for the comments. Those are good points that are tough to remember when racing.

By the way, Granparents are from Auchtermuchty.

david.margrave
December 22nd, 2007, 12:59 AM
Looks pretty good to me.

You looked for the wall twice on backstroke. Get in the habit of counting strokes from the flags, then you'll only have to look once, or zero times if you feel lucky (I never do).

On your breaststroke push-off you did a dolphin kick with your pull which is good. I recently started doing this and it helps a lot. I think you can easily drop .5 seconds with that alone. But your feet broke the surface. Try pushing off deeper so you're completely submerged at that point. Practice breaststroke push-offs with and without the dolphin kick and you'll get a feel for how much it helps and how to maximize it.

Watch this, it's from a start not push but it shows how the dolphin kick+pull works.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PApN3H5a2Ak

Al Black
December 22nd, 2007, 06:11 AM
Thanks for the comments. Those are good points that are tough to remember when racing.

That's why our coach hammers and hammers and hammers at these points in training, so we don't have to try and remember them, hopefully they'll be second nature!

By the way, Granparents are from Auchtermuchty.

Welcome, compadre! :wave:

Allen Stark
December 22nd, 2007, 01:59 PM
Don't worry about trying to get higher in the water. If you keep your pull more in front of you and get more power from your insweep, your torso will naturally come up, especially if you don't bend at the hips with your kick recovery. Keep practicing.

rtodd
December 22nd, 2007, 04:30 PM
OK,

Keep my pull more in front of me, and do not bend at the waist during kick recovery. Hope my lower back flexibility allows it. I try to incorporate this.

JMiller
December 23rd, 2007, 12:13 AM

The whole point of training is to have the action become muscle memory. There is a certain degree of thinking required during training to acquire a specific skill, but once your body is familiar with the action, then you can think less, and "feel" more...

As far as the back to breast turn... I try and finish the backstroke as if I'm finishing a race, (lunge back with head and touch the wall with the hand while my eyes view the finish... Do the same thing, but instead of lunging straight back, go slightly right or left (depending on the hand) and then simply spin using arm and weight of body to carry legs straight over-head. This takes practice... try it with-out swimming, just place hand and practice, over and over... it'll become natural after awhile...

Good luck...

rtodd
December 23rd, 2007, 02:09 PM
Thanks for the turn advice. I watched a bunch of youtube on how this turn is done and have been practicing it.....alot, In freestyle repeats I am rolling on my back and practicing it.

As I approach I am looking back and going down for a deep touch, then bringing both legs almost directly over the top. It seems to be working well. I will go for it at the next meet.

If I am early into the wall I just flutter kick and start my dive. Better that than late and crashing into the wall.