PDA

View Full Version : New statement about first breast kick

craiglll@yahoo.com
December 19th, 2007, 03:55 PM
In the national newsletter there are a few rules that change. In the breast kick after a start or off of the wall. a phrase is being removed, "while wholly underwater." This is in with the butterfly kick off of the blocks or wall. Does this mean that you could do a butterfly kick once you've made it to the surface? This is confusing to me. It seems to me that the breast stroke has gotten awfully complicated.

knelson
December 19th, 2007, 04:46 PM
I think the intent is that some masters swimmers may choose to do the breaststroke "pullout" on the surface. Thus, they are still allowed to take the single dolphin kick off the start/turns on the surface like they would if they were submerged. After the initial pull and kick combo combo defining the pullout is complete, the stroke must be as normal (i.e., no dolphin kick allowed).

pwolf66
December 19th, 2007, 04:48 PM
As an experienced swimming official, the number one issue was when the dolphin kick broke the surface of the water on the pullout. Did this mean the swimmer was no longer wholely submerged? I'm glad they removed that line.

Paul

craiglll@yahoo.com
December 20th, 2007, 04:03 PM
Thanks for some clarification. I rarely can get the dolhin kick in now maybe I can extend the time before the arms.

I have another big question. I always thought the word was wholely. But when it is spell checked and inthe rule it says wholly. How odd. any english teacher, profs or writers care to explain?

MegSmath
December 21st, 2007, 01:45 PM
I have another big question. I always thought the word was wholely. But when it is spell checked and inthe rule it says wholly. How odd. any english teacher, profs or writers care to explain?

Craig, the preferred spelling is "wholly," and "wholely" is an alternate spelling. They both mean the same thing.