PDA

View Full Version : Neck injury (freestyle)

ddl
December 20th, 2007, 09:41 AM
I got a neck injury about a week ago. I believe it's because I turned my head improperly (too high or rolled too much while breathing). It's the nerve or tendon that goes from below the back of the neck leading to the upper arm. It hurts when I just let my arm down like sitting at a desk, and it hurts most when my head makes the movement of over-raising/over-turning as if breathing in freestyle.

Is anyone familiar with this type of injury? Should I stop swimming for a few days or is it OK to continue daily swim? If I leave it alone will it eventually recover, and how long could that take?

This is really a damned thing as I'm just beginning to make real improvement of my freestyle! :frustrated:

Thanks in advance.

Rob Copeland
December 20th, 2007, 10:23 AM
I got a neck injury about a week ago. Go see your doctor! Neck injuries are not something that should be diagnosed without first hand inspection.

ourswimmer
December 20th, 2007, 12:53 PM
Go see your doctor! Neck injuries are not something that should be diagnosed without first hand inspection.

I agree completely. Any number of things could be wrong; any number of events, or combination of events over your life could have caused those things to be wrong; and treatment appropriate for one injury could be gravely inappropriate for a different injury that has similar symptoms. You don't want to mess with your neck.

Look back through some recent threads for several discussions of neck pain, but don't use those as a substitute for having a professional look at your neck (probably using an x-ray, among other diagnostic techniques).

ddl
December 20th, 2007, 01:55 PM
Thanks both for your replies. I will follow your advice and see some doctor. This is happening just as I'm going to enjoy an Olympic-sized pool!

TheGoodSmith
December 20th, 2007, 03:36 PM
I am working on my 5th month of neck pain. If you are old like me, it may take a while to go away. Acupuncture keeps me off motrin.

John Smith

ddl
December 20th, 2007, 04:58 PM
I am working on my 5th month of neck pain. If you are old like me, it may take a while to go away. Acupuncture keeps me off motrin.

John Smith

Oh my, 5 months? what kind of neck pain do you have? Have you continued swimming? Mine is not really neck pain. It's a cord/nerve/ligament that goes to the upper arm that strains (like pulling) in certain positions. It seems to be rooted behind the shoulder and below neck. How do you treat your injury?

rtodd
December 20th, 2007, 07:54 PM
I have had severe neck pain from pinched nerves on occasion. It can be very painfull. In every case it went away. If you did not injure it from trauma I think it will go away in a few days.

Having said that, go see a doctor.

ddl
December 20th, 2007, 08:32 PM
I have had severe neck pain from pinched nerves on occasion. It can be very painfull. In every case it went away. If you did not injure it from trauma I think it will go away in a few days.

Having said that, go see a doctor.

Thanks! I hope what you say is true :) though it's already about a week now and not any better (perhaps because I continued swimming the same way every day). The comfort may be, perhaps no swimmer has been paralyzed just because of a poor breathing position?

rtodd
December 20th, 2007, 08:35 PM
The pain I had would make it difficult to get in and out of a car, sleep, shower....just about anything. It did go away.

One full week and not better? See the doc.