PDA

View Full Version : Distance Breathing Patterns

Dennis Tesch
December 20th, 2007, 04:38 PM
I would like to find out in a simple poll if you coach your swimmers to breath every three or breath to their best side in events over 400 meters or 500 yards? I've heard pro's and con's for both ways, I just want to get an idea of what everyone is doing out there.

Thanks...

haffathot
December 20th, 2007, 04:59 PM
i'd have my kids practice three in practices but do whatever's most comfortable in competition. hopefully, that'd be what they practiced, but not always.

--Sean

craiglll@yahoo.com
December 21st, 2007, 04:18 PM
I voted for breath to your favorite side. However, I tend to breath on what ever side is open and I need oxygen. There are times in practice where I used to do every other 5 strokes. I'm not realy sure it matters.

jmeyer
December 23rd, 2007, 07:45 PM
I think it's most common and most recommended to breathe every stroke, but perhaps you could try that and also try breathing every 3 strokes to see what works for you. if you can't decide, then breathe every stroke to maximize the amount of oxygen you get.

thewookiee
December 24th, 2007, 10:54 AM
An idea to try in practice is breath to both sides but do it this way. Pick one side of the pool, say where windows are located. Then always breath to that side.

On one length you are breathing to the right, then the return trip you are breathing to the left.

I have found this helps to balance out my stroke some, plus it makes me to breath to my left side, which I really don't like, but I know I might need to do that in open water some day.

Pool races..breath to the side you are most comfortable.

mermaid
December 31st, 2007, 07:03 AM
When I'm working with someone, I consider a host of possibilities. Age of swimmer and amount of time they have been doing what they do play a large role into what I suggest for them. For example if it's an age grouper, I will strongly encourage bi-lateral breathing (drills, counting games, etc.). However, if it's an adult learner - I take a look at where they are, where they want to go with their swimming, talk about the pros and cons with them, let them try the possible combinations - then settle on what is easiest for them to remember. You would be suprised how many adults "forget" to breathe. I remind them that breath holding is a static exercise and that is part of the reason they breathe so heavily as soon as they get to a wall.

For my adults (Master swimmers) I may occasionally incorporate breathing drills into the workout - just to remind them that they should be thinking about it from time to time.

In competition, sprints will breathe fewer times - the race is shorter and the breathing slows you down.

poolraat
January 8th, 2008, 07:55 PM
I voted for the "favorite side" option even though I regularly breath to both sides. The side I breath to mostly depends on how many strokes I take off each turn before my first breath. If I take 2 strokes before breathing it will be to the right, if it's 3 then I breathe to the left. I will usually breathe to that side the entire length though sometimes I'll switch about halfway down the lane.