PDA

View Full Version : Name a baby?

Karen Duggan
December 30th, 2007, 05:32 AM
OK, I'm not even asking family for suggestions, because I don't want naming our newborn son to become a "family focus", but we've narrowed it down to two, although there are some other names still in consideration.

What do you think? And if you're so inclined, please include a post about the pluses and/or minuses of the name.

3strokes
December 30th, 2007, 05:35 AM
OK, I'm not even asking family for suggestions, because I don't want naming our newborn son to become a "family focus", but we've narrowed it down to two, although there are some other names still in consideration.

What do you think? And if you're so inclined, please include a post about the pluses and/or minuses of the name.

First of all, Karen:

Congratulations !

Karen Duggan
December 30th, 2007, 05:39 AM
Wow, Ahmed, I barely clicked "post thread" and there you are :)

And what are you doing up at this hour?! This acid reflux is doing me in...
re-runs of Andy Griffith and The Jeffersons are always entertaining!
Pat should be home from work in about 45 minutes...

swimshark
December 30th, 2007, 07:23 AM
Sean Duggan sounds really nice together. I like Kieren but I've noticed on my baby boards that it's becoming really popular and it's not easy to spell.

Congrats!!

Alison

3strokes
December 30th, 2007, 07:25 AM
Wow, Ahmed, I barely clicked "post thread" and there you are :)

And what are you doing up at this hour?! This acid reflux is doing me in...
re-runs of Andy Griffith and The Jeffersons are always entertaining!
Pat should be home from work in about 45 minutes...

I've always been a bad sleeper. Up at all hours.
However I am on the East Coast, so I was awake at 5am.
What were you doing up in the middle of your night? (Probably feeding.......).

Anyway, I'm glad that, now, you have definite dates (even if not a definite name, yet) for returning to swimming.

So, Karen, if you end up going with one of the names from the poll, does that mean that whatzizname will have x numbers of Masters GodParents?

Best Wishes and Happy New Year.

CreamPuff
December 30th, 2007, 08:40 AM
CONGRATULATIONS Karen!!! What a wonderful way to end '07 and start '08!

I voted for Max although I do like the other names as well.

Happy New Year to you and your family!!!

(Loved reading your blog by the way).

ViveBene
December 30th, 2007, 08:53 AM
Congratulations! From the avatar, that makes four?

Sean Duggan has a nice way to it.

Glad you'll be back swimming soon!

All best to you and your family,

VB

3strokes
December 30th, 2007, 08:55 AM
This acid reflux is doing me in...

Ask your doctor about Pantoloc, if it's not contraindicated for you.
It is a prescripton medication and it's not cheap but it worked wonders for me.
Of course, my acid reflux was NOT post-(or in any way related to)-partum
:hug:

blainesapprentice
December 30th, 2007, 09:57 AM
I voted for Finnian...I love that name and it has a lot of GOOD nicknames and shortened names. My brother has a friend named Finnian and I remember thinking how unique his name was. I do love the name Kieran as well, but I agree that it is becoming increasingly popular...I know of 3 or 4 little boys under 10 with that name.

Congratulations!

aquageek
December 30th, 2007, 10:01 AM
A name like Finnian is a guarantee of playground beatings. Go strong like Max or Thomas. You can never go wrong with the traditional names.

geochuck
December 30th, 2007, 10:28 AM
George would be a great name for a babby. My grandmother said there has never been a bad George. I believe this to be true.

Congrats!!!

smontanaro
December 30th, 2007, 11:17 AM
I have to agree with George on that being a great name for a baby. Also on the congrats part. Not so sure on the "never been a bad George" part though. ;)

Skip (actually George) Montanaro

Mr. Furious
December 30th, 2007, 11:37 AM
George III is not well remembered in the USA.

pwolf66
December 30th, 2007, 11:50 AM
I'm with the Sean Duggan crowd. And CONGRATULATIONS!!!!! :cheerleader::cheerleader::cheerleader::cheerleade r::cheerleader::cheerleader::cheerleader:

Then again, what's wrong with Sean Finnian Duggan?

Paul

The Fortress
December 30th, 2007, 12:00 PM
Congrats!!!! You're two people! That's always such a relief. Let us know when you first get a night's sleep.

I voted for Max or Sean. I agree with Geek. Finnian will be abused on the playground, although the girls might find it romantic.

Leonard Jansen
December 30th, 2007, 12:41 PM
Mazel Tov!

"Leonard" is a great name for a kid. He's sure to grow up handsome, intelligent, a real ladie's man - just like me.... On second thought, maybe not - he'll probably grow up to be a math nerd, get beat up alot and the only women who will date him are ones who can claim it as a "charitable deduction" on their income tax forms.

How about "Stetson"? "Stetson Duggan" With a name like that, no one would EVER mess with him and he'll probably grow up to be the head of the Navy Seals.

-Leonard Benjamin Jansen III

blainesapprentice
December 30th, 2007, 02:06 PM
A name like Finnian is a guarantee of playground beatings. Go strong like Max or Thomas. You can never go wrong with the traditional names.

Thats stupid. In reality, it's never a kids name that gets them beaten up...people always say the unusual named kid is the one thats gonna be bullied, but really...its the kid picking his nose and eating it in the front row of the classroom. Bob, Max, Thomas, George, Finnian, whatever his name is.

blainesapprentice
December 30th, 2007, 02:07 PM
Then again, what's wrong with Sean Finnian Duggan?

Paul

Good sounding name as well.

swimr4life
December 30th, 2007, 02:17 PM
Hi Karen,
Congratulations!!!!!! I'm so happy for you! I hope you are feeling well and recovering. Take care of yourself.

I LOVE Sean!! It goes well with Duggan. Finnian Duggan.....my least favorite. Please forgive me if this is one of your 2 your thinking about! Max is cute too.

ALM
December 30th, 2007, 03:39 PM
Congrats!!!! You're two people! That's always such a relief. Let us know when you first get a night's sleep.

She hasn't had the baby yet, has she? I thought it was going to be a 2008 tax deduction.

knelson
December 30th, 2007, 04:12 PM
I liked Kieran at first glance, but then thought Karen and Kieran was a little much!

Karen Duggan
December 30th, 2007, 06:56 PM
Whoa! Nope haven't had him yet.

We are still one, although one of us is infinitely more comfortable than the other one at the moment. I do have pictures of my enormous belly, I just need to upload them. I think Mr. Mattson sent me directions how to do that.

One of you has hit the nail on the head for one of our names. Keep putting names together. Actually, Scott has snuck in for a possible middle name as well.

I like all of your suggestions and we have pondered the same problems with names. As a teacher of almost 15 years, I can agree that it's not the name of the kid that gets them beat up. But being "different" AND having a "different" name are a deadly combination!!! Much more playground ammo I'm afraid.

At least I didn't throw out Sue as an option! I love that song, "A Boy Named Sue", I think it was J. Cash?

SwimStud
December 30th, 2007, 07:30 PM
Well since Stud is really a nickname you can't use that... :rofl:

I think Billy or Jimmy fits well as does Sean or Peter or Paul. Max doesn't fit with Duggan. Kieran is a bit of a girl's name IMHO--I don't like it. George although a solid name doesn not fit well with Duggan. George Duggan sounds like an AARP cardholder--sorry guys it's a mature name.

You also have to think about the middle name you don't want George Oliver Duggan. What names do the other boys in your gang have already? Do you have a Patrick or Michael already? The new name has to fit the rest.

SwimSpud
December 30th, 2007, 07:46 PM
How about McLovin?

McLovin Seamus Duggan

aquageek
December 30th, 2007, 08:56 PM
Thats stupid. In reality, it's never a kids name that gets them beaten up...people always say the unusual named kid is the one thats gonna be bullied, but really...its the kid picking his nose and eating it in the front row of the classroom.

Boys named Finnian or Kieran or whatever cockamamy name pick and eat boogers, hence why they always get beat up.

jim thornton
December 30th, 2007, 11:47 PM
Ask your doctor about Pantoloc

I don't know--it has a nice ring, but I think that Pantoloc Duggan is likely to be bullied, whether or not he eats his own mucous.

I personally liked Kieran because it is so easily confused with Karen. With such a name, when your husband gets mad and yells out, "Karen! I mean Keiran! No, wait, I mean Karen! God damn it! Keiran!" he will eventually tire himself out with confusion and domestic tranquility will be quickly restored.

Then again, a nice dose of Pantoloc for everyone involved might have a similarly salubrious effect.

Is it too late to consider the name Jim?

--Jim

Leonard Jansen
December 31st, 2007, 09:36 AM
Thats stupid. In reality, it's never a kids name that gets them beaten up...people always say the unusual named kid is the one thats gonna be bullied, but really...its the kid picking his nose and eating it in the front row of the classroom.

Some truth to that. I went to high school with a kid whose first and middle names were "Elmo Elmer" and he was very popular. I also knew a kid whose first and middle names were "Otho Elmer" and he was a real ladies man. However, I kid I knew named "Doug" did pick his nose and eat it (he ate paste and play-doh, too) and he did get thrashed regularly.

I still think "Stetson Xavier Duggan" is about right.

-LBJ

talne621
December 31st, 2007, 09:52 AM
Congratulations!!! I would have to say that Thomas is the best name. It is my name as well, and I like it. I am actually living in a dorm building named Thomas, so it feels really good when I see my name before I go inside.

irishpolarbear
December 31st, 2007, 11:36 AM
Well since Stud is really a nickname you can't use that... :rofl:But if you name him Sean Thomas Ulysses Duggan his initials would be STUD.:doh:

matysekj
December 31st, 2007, 12:12 PM
But if you name him Sean Thomas Ulysses Duggan his initials would be STUD.:doh:

That's a heckuva lot better than Sean Thomas Duggan (think about it...).

GGS5T
January 1st, 2008, 09:09 AM
Firstly, congratulations!

Any of the suggested names will be fine, Iím sure.

Unfortunately, when the kid is of school age you can be pretty sure that one day his teacher will suggest Ďhaving funí by putting the childrens names into an online anagram generator.

Kieran Duggan will become, A Naked Urging.

Thomas wonít thank you for his new nick-name; Gonad Ham Guts.

Sean will come home from school and tell you heís now going to be known by his class-mates as, Anus and Egg.

Finnian will be most pleased though; Fun and Gaining.

Slowswim
January 2nd, 2008, 12:51 PM
Boys named Finnian or Kieran or whatever cockamamy name pick and eat boogers, hence why they always get beat up.

Sounds a little close to home there Geek. Just kidding.

BTW: I picked Kieran and have never heard it as a name before so how common it is may be regional. All are great choices, good strong celtic names.

craiglll@yahoo.com
January 2nd, 2008, 01:11 PM
I really have no choice. I simply wanted to tell this story.

When my niece was about 10 years old, she told my father that she woudl name her first son after him. He told her "No!" His name was Hermon Henry. His twin was Herschel Harrold. My niece ended up naming the boy Hunter Henry.

GGS5T
January 3rd, 2008, 06:05 AM
I picked Kieran and have never heard it as a name before ...

How sad to be forgotten so soon after winning a gold medal in the 1500... and at the Atlanta Olympics too!

waves101
January 3rd, 2008, 09:09 AM
My wife is a teacher, too. So, when we were considering names it was very hard not to get into name association issues. Because of that, I'm going to reserve any suggestions and just wish you well in the birth and determining the name.

Blackbeard's Peg
January 3rd, 2008, 10:06 AM
It was pointed out here earlier, but initials are something to consider as well.

Kieran Ignatious Duggan (KID) would certainly be interesting... the suggestion of George Oliver Duggan would also create some interesting reactions...

I went to school with a kid whose family named him James. I guess they didn't particularly like calling him James, Jim, Jimmy, Jimbo, Jamie, etc... so they added his initials (J.E.B.) together and called him Jeb.

FindingMyInnerFish
January 3rd, 2008, 11:11 AM
Wishing you a safe delivery and healthy baby!

I was torn between Thomas and Sean. Love both names, so what about "Sean Thomas" or "Thomas Sean"? BF and I have a good friend whose last name is Thomas, and I just like the name Sean.

Hope all goes well! BTW, you seem to have been hanging in tough with the swimming! Well done! I think your little one's going to want to join you in your million times 100 next January b/c he's already had so much prebirth exposure! ;)

MegSmath
January 3rd, 2008, 12:36 PM
Back all those years ago when I was pregnant (and that kid just turned 15 yesterday!) everyone knew I was having a boy, thanks to prenatal testing, and kept asking what we were going to name him. I really felt like that was between my husband and me, and didn't want to divulge. So I would always respond "Elvis Bubba." You'd be surprised how many people believed me! We actually named him Joseph Edward. Edward is for my father. I got the idea for Joseph while riding the exercise bike, watching "Bonanza." Pa Cartwright was particularly annoyed with Little Joe that episode, and kept bellowing "Joseph!" I liked it because it was traditional, not trendy, and, as Geek mentioned, not likely to get him beat up on the playground. He goes by Joey.

Karen Duggan
January 3rd, 2008, 01:00 PM
Hi Meg,

Fifteen?! And I bet it's gone really fast. I can't believe my Patrick will be 8!
Pat's brother's name is Joseph too, named after Pat's dad. I like that name too and it was in consideration for awhile. Part of our problem is that Pat's family is so darn big! He's got two brothers and two sisters, and between all of "us" there are 15 grandchildren. Then on Pat's dad's side, his sister Mary, has taken a lot of choices too. She's got three kids and then they have kids! The Duggan tree is immense!

In fact while my husband Pat is Patrick Michael and our son is Patrick Michael Jr., there is another cousin Michael Patrick. Geez, what can you do with the Irish?! Not only prolific, but take all of the good Celtic names too!

My mom keeps asking me about names and I just say we've narrowed it down to two or three, and then I remind her that it took us two days to name Brenna after she was born. She's good about not prying. Not that I would think my mom was prying per se, she just gets the idea that I'll tell her when we're ready. Especially with this little guy, there is no surprise (boy or girl) so we at least want the name to be a special announcement.

blainesapprentice
January 4th, 2008, 11:57 AM
We have a family friend who are due with their 5th child in February. The first four (a barely 6yo, twin 3year olds and a 1 year old) are all boys. They come from a very religious background so they have Jacob, Caleb, Issac and Eli so far. They always let everyone know what the gender of the new comer is...which is nice so we can buy appropriate gifts, but the naming process is completely their own. They don't even let anyone know what they are considering. Half the excitement of hearing that the baby has been born and getting that first picture a few hours later by e-mail is just seeing the name they have written at the bottom of the picture.

I'm hoping for a Noah this time...lol

Rob Copeland
January 4th, 2008, 12:23 PM
I'm hoping for a Noah this time...lolA great choice! My sonís name.

thewookiee
January 4th, 2008, 12:47 PM
Chewy or Chewbacca or the wookiee are wonderful choices for names. they can be used for either a boy or girl

:-)

gr82cu!
January 9th, 2008, 07:02 AM
James is a great name -- or to get the initials improvement you could go with Jon instead of Sean

FindingMyInnerFish
January 9th, 2008, 01:59 PM
Sooooo.... what's the scoop? Inquiring minds want to know!

Swimmer Bill
January 9th, 2008, 06:03 PM
Finnian would be a good name for a swimmer because you could call him "Finn" ~ :D

geochuck
January 9th, 2008, 06:11 PM
James, our newest grandson is James Walter. He was named after 2 grand fathers. Gerry my son named him Walter after Chuckies father and James after Gerry's wife Glady's father.

They call him Jamie.

3strokes
January 9th, 2008, 10:18 PM
James, our newest grandson is James Walter. He was named after 2 grand fathers. Gerry my named him Walter after Chuckies father and James after Gerry's wife Glady's father.

They call him Jamie.

Too late guys (though quite close).

Please see http://forums.usms.org/showpost.php?p=118688&postcount=73

Blackbeard's Peg
January 9th, 2008, 11:58 PM
sweet! i voted for the winner!
Congratulations Karen and Pat! :banana::banana::banana:

Swimmer Bill
January 12th, 2008, 02:47 PM
I was pulling for that one, too - even though I didn't realize Karen had already delivered when I posted. If he turns out to be a swimmer, Finn will be just about the coolest name on earth. It has a certain ring to it.

"...in lane four, Finn Duggan!!..."

:cheerleader:

Good wishes to the whole Duggan family!

Bill

Heidi
January 15th, 2008, 01:38 PM
I know 3 girls named Kieran...although it's spelled differently. I like Sean.

jcburcham
January 31st, 2008, 10:37 PM
I'm new to this forum. I saw you're having a baby (congratulations!) and wanted to ask where you bought (or plan to buy) a maternity swimsuit? It seems like all the ones I find are for "looks" only, not really practical for lap swimming. I'm 6 months pregnant, and don't think I'll fit in my regular suit much longer!

Karen Duggan
February 2nd, 2008, 06:16 PM
Hi,
Congratulations!
At about 5 months my suits didn't fit any more, so I bought a size 38 water polo zip up suit. At about 8 months that was way too tight in the tummy so I bought a 40 of the same suit. That's as big as they come for regular suits.
I know if you go on-line to, I think it's, swimconnection.com and click on suits- I think there's a maternity section. However, I know I typed in a search of swim suit + maternity and got a whole bunch of sites...
Good luck and keep swimming (if allowed). It makes a huge difference in your health. It did (and still does) for me. :agree:

ALM
February 2nd, 2008, 07:02 PM
The women on my team all just continued to wear their regular workout Speedo-type suits. As they grew out of their own suits, some of the women on the team who wore larger sizes donated their old Speedos for the cause.

Anna Lea

MegSmath
February 2nd, 2008, 07:40 PM
Yeah, just let your suit stretch out, and wear more than one if they're too transparent. Maternity suits are NOT designed for actual swimming. I bought one too, and had very little freedom of movement with it, and it weighed a ton (not that I didn't weigh a ton by that point too). Or you could do like the woman I saw at the pool yesterday. Wear a bikini! She definitely does not have to worry about the material stretching over her belly. She was quite a sight to behold!