PDA

View Full Version : pull-ups and shoulders

david.margrave
December 31st, 2007, 06:14 PM
Are pull-ups hard on shoulders? I've had a little right shoulder soreness and so took a rest from upper body exercises (including pull-ups) when weightlifting yesterday. Normally I would do 2x5 pull-ups and 2x5 chin-ups. Today in the water my right shoulder felt better. I have no problem altering my routine or switching to an assisted pull-up machine for a while. I have also started doing the external shoulder rotation exercise with a stretch cord, which I slacked off for a few months because my shoulders felt fine.

I probably shouldn't complain much, because my left shoulder feels completely fine, and that was the one that would get a little sore at times last summer.

Chris Stevenson
December 31st, 2007, 06:27 PM
Are pull-ups hard on shoulders? I've had a little right shoulder soreness and so took a rest from upper body exercises (including pull-ups) when weightlifting yesterday. Normally I would do 2x5 pull-ups and 2x5 chin-ups. Today in the water my right shoulder felt better. I have no problem altering my routine or switching to an assisted pull-up machine for a while. I have also started doing the external shoulder rotation exercise with a stretch cord, which I slacked off for a few months because my shoulders felt fine.

I probably shouldn't complain much, because my left shoulder feels completely fine, and that was the one that would get a little sore at times last summer.

Others' mileage may vary, of course, but pull-ups have never bothered my shoulders. They DO, however, hurt the inside of my elbows at times. Nothing that vitamin A can't cure (just kidding, I usually decrease weight and inrease reps when the elbows act up).

rtodd
December 31st, 2007, 08:14 PM
pull ups don't bother my shoulders nearly as much as dips and benching do.

Jazz Hands
December 31st, 2007, 08:57 PM
Wide grip pull-ups and pull-downs murder my shoulders. It's all a personal thing. If something hurts, it's probably a bad idea to keep doing it.

Lucy Crabapple
December 31st, 2007, 10:13 PM
Well said about it being personal. Oddly enough I find that pull ups help to pop my shoulder ligament (which has a tendency to 'fall downl') back into place. And as one who never did fly well, it really helped me develop the base strength to get through a 50....:shakeshead:

pwolf66
December 31st, 2007, 11:20 PM
Actually, here is a VERY good exercise for building front delt and lat strength and is a lot easier on your RCs that standard pull ups.

http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/BackGeneral/WTSupineRow.html

You can start with your feet on the floor and progess to feet on a bench with a weight plate on your chest. I like this because you can really work the negative portion of the movement.

Paul

johnhughes
January 2nd, 2008, 03:03 PM
Hi, David: I agree completely with Paul that the supine row (I call these incline pullups) are better than standard pull ups. If you are committed to the standard pull up position, consider using a 'gravitron' machine. It will take a bit of weight off and slow your motion down just a bit. Cheers, John :weightlifter: