PDA

View Full Version : Proliferation of "blogs" on the forums

matysekj
December 31st, 2007, 10:21 PM
There has been a recent increase in "blog"-type of threads on the forums. There is a new official blog add-on to this forum software that we will be adding soon. Only registered USMS members will be able to create blogs using this add-on, but all visitors will be able to view the blogs. A new Blogs link will be available from the top navigation bar in the forums when the new tools are installed. This link will take to you a list of available blogs.

Once this new blog capability is added, all pseudo-blog threads currently on the forums will be closed, with a reference link added to the new blog if the author intends to continue it. As far as I know, there are no tools to allow us to automatically move existing thread contents to the new blogs. You may want to keep this in mind and hold off on creating new blog threads, as it will be easier to just create a blog with the new tools once they are available.

KaizenSwimmer
January 1st, 2008, 02:28 PM
Good idea to collect all blogs in one place. I think the "green training" thread I started yesterday in general discussions would probably qualify more as a blog than a thread. I'd be happy to see it moved to a blogs location.

Karen Duggan
January 2nd, 2008, 08:25 PM
Jim,
What is a "pseudo-blog thread"? I really don't know.

Will Ande's thread be closed on this part of the forum, and he'll have to start over? It would have been nice to keep the continuity, if that is the case...

PS Jim Thornton asked if "Jim" was too late to add to possible baby names? It is a fine name I must admit, one of my uncles is Jim :D
And Sean Thomas was my favorite name until I realized the initials. If STD's weren't what they are we'd have a Sean Thomas Duggan for sure!

fanstone
January 2nd, 2008, 09:12 PM
Both my grandfathers were James. I have uncles named James and William on my mother and father's side. I have cousins named James, William, William James and James William. My son is James William Henry Fanstone, but was always called Jay, on purpose, like I was always and am called Billy (William is only for notary matters). I wanted to name my daughter Gwendolyn or Guinevere, but after much counseling I settled for Glenda. I like your blog, pitty I can't stick you with a needle, which is what I do well, i.e. sticking epidural needles in at term girls for normal or C-section delivery. billy fanstone

Jazz Hands
January 3rd, 2008, 01:52 AM
This sounds cool, and I think it will encourage more people to publicly track their training. Any idea how soon it will happen?

matysekj
January 3rd, 2008, 11:35 AM
Jim,
What is a "pseudo-blog thread"? I really don't know.

Will Ande's thread be closed on this part of the forum, and he'll have to start over? It would have been nice to keep the continuity, if that is the case...

"Pseudo-blog thread" is my term for those threads started and continued by one author in the same way you would use a blog. Examples are Ande's workout blog, your pregnant blog, Jazz Hands training blog, Terry Laughlin's green workout blog...

Yes, the plan is that all of these will be closed once a real blog is created to continue them. They won't go away, they'll just be closed to further posting, and you can easily link to them from the new blogs. From what I've seen, the new blogs look very similar to the forum threads. They do allow for other users to comment on your blog and all the normal "bloggy" things like that. Separating them is just a way to collect all similar blogs in one place and allow real discussion threads to dominate the forums.

This sounds cool, and I think it will encourage more people to publicly track their training. Any idea how soon it will happen?

Well, I'm mired in two very large projects right now and have a backlog of stuff that's supposed to be done at the new year transition. As soon as I get through them I can work on the members-only capability that will be used for setting up blogs. I can't give you a date, but I'm guessing by the end of January.

jim clemmons
January 3rd, 2008, 12:50 PM
Jim Thornton asked if "Jim" was too late to add to possible baby names? It is a fine name I must admit, one of my uncles is Jim :D

And Sean Thomas was my favorite name until I realized the initials. If STD's weren't what they are we'd have a Sean Thomas Duggan for sure!

I'd vote for Jim as well and I think, if not Jim, that STD would just make him tougher in the long run. He might have to do a little :weightlifter: to represent himself properly though. :)

The Digger
January 16th, 2008, 01:45 AM
Good riddance to blogs. They seem not to serve any useful purpose but to attract trolls.

JMiller
February 4th, 2008, 04:41 AM
There has been a recent increase in "blog"-type of threads on the forums. There is a new official blog add-on to this forum software that we will be adding soon. Only registered USMS members will be able to create blogs using this add-on, but all visitors will be able to view the blogs. A new Blogs link will be available from the top navigation bar in the forums when the new tools are installed. This link will take to you a list of available blogs.

Once this new blog capability is added, all pseudo-blog threads currently on the forums will be closed, with a reference link added to the new blog if the author intends to continue it. As far as I know, there are no tools to allow us to automatically move existing thread contents to the new blogs. You may want to keep this in mind and hold off on creating new blog threads, as it will be easier to just create a blog with the new tools once they are available.

Any progress on the new blog tools? Any closer to an ETA? Just wondering, I figured I should wait before starting a swimming/training blog.

ALM
February 7th, 2008, 01:42 AM
Only registered USMS members will be able to create blogs using this add-on, but all visitors will be able to view the blogs.

Have you all renewed your USMS memberships yet? If not, take this as a friendly reminder from one of the 52 USMS Registrars!

Anna Lea
Missouri Valley Masters Registrar