PDA

View Full Version : Happy New Years to All

jim thornton
December 31st, 2007, 11:10 PM
For the dozen or so of us diehards at home tonight, one hour before New Years right now in my eastern time zone, I wish you all a happy new years and the best wishes for satisfying swimming in 2008.

I concluded 2007 on a high note--the local college pool was more or less abandoned except for us masters--there weren't even lifeguards! We swam a rare mid-winter 5,000 meters long course (rare here in Pittsburgh, though perhaps less rare in California, Florida, Brasilia, etc.)

Anyhow, as mentioned before, no officials to tell us what we could or could not do. So after practice, a couple of us jumped off the 10 meter platform--something I personally don't remember doing since my freshman year at Michigan 33 years ago! At least this time, there wasn't an army of other swimmers throwing pull buoys and kickboards at us during our descent into the surprisingly hard landing that awaits all who are foolish enough to attempt this.

As I told my friend, I do believe that platform divers must be the balls-iest athletes in the world. Or the balls-un-iest athletes, depending on landings.

Anyhow, for what it's worth, I have managed to make it almost to 2008 in tact. Here's hoping you all have managed to do likewise--and will have a great year coming up!

Nathan
January 1st, 2008, 02:40 PM
Happy New Year! And may 2008 be a blessed year for all!