PDA

View Full Version : Need Tips for AM workout

zegmal
January 1st, 2008, 11:07 PM
I am thinking of starting a 6AM masters. I have never done an AM workout and need advice on how to do this so it isn't totally painful. I am used to eating breakfast and having my coffee before doing anything in the morning. For those of you that swim in the early morning, do you eat and have your coffee before swimming? Any other tips on how to make this fun?

Blackbeard's Peg
January 2nd, 2008, 12:26 AM
I am thinking of starting a 6AM masters. I have never done an AM workout and need advice on how to do this so it isn't totally painful. I am used to eating breakfast and having my coffee before doing anything in the morning. For those of you that swim in the early morning, do you eat and have your coffee before swimming? Any other tips on how to make this fun?
since you're already looking to change your morning routine to add an AM swim, you're going to have to change your breakfast routine too. I am not usually an AM workout guy myself... but on the occasion I do one, a quick, small snack gets me through w/o starving. Quaker breakfast cookie seems to do the trick these days; dry cereal works well too. I can't speak too the coffee.

Donna
January 2nd, 2008, 08:47 AM
I usually have a boost shake on the drive in to practice and then eat a protien bar after workout.

Chris Stevenson
January 2nd, 2008, 09:13 AM

It can be a tough transition if you aren't used to it, but I do love the feeling of getting the workout done at the beginning of the day. After many years of morning workouts, it is much harder for me to do evening practices after working all day (plus I always have childcare conflicts).

I usually do 90 minute workouts (4000-5000 yds) in the morning, and I find I don't need to eat until after the workout. Even if I'm hungry before practice, it quickly goes away. Coffee is the best recovery drink...:)

Once every week or two I'll swim with the USS kids in the morning (2 hours, 7000-8000 yds) and I'll need to eat something before practice. I'll usually eat a banana or a powerbar and fill my water bottle with gatorade instead of water.

Treebox
January 2nd, 2008, 09:18 AM
I've always been a morning workout swimmer. I personally can't don't eat anything until I'm finished. I know some that do. I can't drink coffee on an empty stomach, so that has to wait for the drive to work. Good luck!

swim4me
January 2nd, 2008, 09:58 AM
I am in the pool at 5 am. :fish2: I used to eat a yogurt or breakfast bar before practice when I was first getting used to working out that early. Now, I go straight to practice, drink water during practice, and eat around 7:30 after I am at work. Always coffee and then whatever else I am in the mood for. Usually something high fiber, low fat, but I ocassionally add in a delicious cinnomon roll :applaud:.

Slowswim
January 2nd, 2008, 11:12 AM
I, too, am at the pool by 5am. I don't eat anything before I swim and just have water poolside. When I switch to a follow on 20 mile bike ride, I start drinking Gatoraid type drink for fluid replacement. I usually hit the pool for an after ride cool down.

I'll have a protein shake or smootie in my car, 12oz V8, and coffee for my commute. Then its a mid-morning snack and a late lunch at mid afternoon snack, and dinner around 7pm. The key for me is to not let hunger creep up on me.

waves101
January 2nd, 2008, 11:46 AM
6am practices for years. A yogurt Nutri-Grain bar and about 6 oz. of juice (a Capri-Sun packet works great) on the way to workout. More to get the metabolism started as early as possible than anything.

Mighty Minnow
January 2nd, 2008, 01:03 PM
I've been swimming at 5:30am for over 2 years; I cannot eat anything before practice. Afterwards, I love having eggs, or a bagel with the other swimmers and we dissect the workout, other swimmers (the ones that did not join us), and other deeply engrossing subjects. I drink water all during the workout. My weekly workouts are about 1 hour plus.....weekends goes a bit longer and at first I'd eat 1/2 a banana, but now I don't bother with that and just visualize what kind of omelette I will have after practice :):coffee:

blainesapprentice
January 2nd, 2008, 01:11 PM
I always swim in the morning...normally i get to the pool at 540am and im there until 8am.

I normally eat an apple as I stretch and get ready to get in (apples are perfect-filling and they have something in them--i forget--that is suppose to make you more awake)
Or I will have a granola bar (peanut butter nature's valley normally works good) or a package or two of fruit snacks.