PDA

View Full Version : Which one would you buy?

new
January 3rd, 2008, 01:29 PM
I know, you guy have lots of threads about goggles...I'm not asking for advice, just your vote...

I'm about to buy new goggles and I need some help to decide,

If you had any bad experiences with one of these goggles please tell me, im gonna buy it next week...

Thanks for answer the poll, new suggestions are welcome.

2fish&1whale
January 3rd, 2008, 02:05 PM
i'd have to vote for the remora, the only goggle i have used since i started swimming 1 1/2 years ago. they have silicone or a dense foam seal, and they make the remora for women with a slightly smaller frame. my daughter started wearing them too, so now i just order 2 pairs in different colors.....

hofffam
January 3rd, 2008, 02:14 PM
Where did you get those prices? Those are less than I see locally or in the major online sellers.

I voted Vanquisher for daily use but I use Speed Sockets for racing.

mermaid
January 3rd, 2008, 02:36 PM
Vanquisher - I use the mirrored when swimming in a brightly lit pool and always outside (& there's a rumor that you can "oggle" without being too obvious). I use the clear most of the time - the olde chlorine pit can be a bit croweded, cloudy and now that it's winter, dark tool.

I have a small frame - so the women's version works just right for me! Also, they have a silicone seal - no foam to erode.

swimshark
January 3rd, 2008, 03:01 PM
I practice and race in the women's vanquisher and love them. A few years ago a friend of mine bought me 2 pairs of the Remora's from the Nike fitness center for half price. I wore the clear ones at a meet, the day I got them. I cleared them with my fingers, as I have done since I was 5 years old, and they scratched. It was so bad I couldn't wear them. So even at $6 (half price) they weren't worth it at all. I'll pay more than double for the vanquishers which will last a lot longer.

Alison

aztimm
January 3rd, 2008, 03:13 PM
I've been wearing TYR Racetech now for 10+ years. They are the only kind I can find that are adjustable enough to fit my face well. In winter/mornings/evenings, I usually wear just the clear/smoke ones; summer or afternoon practices I wear the metallized (mirrored) version. I swim nearly every day M-F, go through about 3-4 pairs of goggles a year (but some seem to disappear before they wear out). I try to keep 2-3 pairs in my swim bag, just in case (at least one mirrored, one plain).

I almost always buy them online, either Keifer or some other sites. My local sporting goods store has the non-metallized version (about $7-8). The metallized go for about $15.

aquageek
January 3rd, 2008, 03:38 PM
Speaking of goggles, Speedo previously made a swedish type goggle that I can no longer find, had a silicon rim similar to the TYR Socket Rocket 2.0, but slightly more comfortable. Anyone seen those lately?

craiglll@yahoo.com
January 3rd, 2008, 03:46 PM
If something happens and I have to get a pair really quickly, I have only one choice Remora. I have few choices where I can buy swim gear n person. I live in a big 10 university town that doesn't have men's swimming program. But I usually get Speedo if I order them.

craiglll@yahoo.com
January 3rd, 2008, 03:47 PM
Oh, yeah. I forgot to say that it does have a football coach with a bloated chest and a basketball coach who got lucky and will probably never live up to the start of his career.

3strokes
January 3rd, 2008, 04:12 PM

Others Ca$ XXX

3strokes
January 3rd, 2008, 04:17 PM
I know, you guy have lots of threads about goggles...I'm not asking for advice, just your vote...

I'm about to buy new goggles and I need some help to decide,

If you had any bad experiences with one of these goggles please tell me, im gonna buy it next week...

Joking aside (see my previous post re Ca$), have you tried any of these for size and fit? You don't want to buy the best (according to others' opinions) and possibly most expensive and find out that thay're not a good fit.

ViveBene
January 3rd, 2008, 04:30 PM
Hi - Agree that it's best to try them on. I usually get the Speedo Vanquisher mirrored ($16.99 in stores and on Speedo site) and take each one out of the package and try it on. There are subtle differences, such as plastic lens gets too close and brushes up against eyelashes, or one side feels higher or lower than other. It could all be a mirage, but at least it's my mirage that I buy!:p

Regards, VB

2fish&1whale
January 3rd, 2008, 05:54 PM
I practice and race in the women's vanquisher and love them. A few years ago a friend of mine bought me 2 pairs of the Remora's from the Nike fitness center for half price. I wore the clear ones at a meet, the day I got them. I cleared them with my fingers, as I have done since I was 5 years old, and they scratched. It was so bad I couldn't wear them. So even at $6 (half price) they weren't worth it at all. I'll pay more than double for the vanquishers which will last a lot longer.

Alison

i made the same mistake with my first pair-now i just "lick and rinse" and no scratches-----please-no "yuck" coments :o.......

mazzy
January 3rd, 2008, 06:00 PM
I vote for Air Seal XR, Mirrored if you prefer, a racing ones but very confortable for workouts. A bit expensive, but a bit more durable that more cheap options. The curved lens are very cool...

new
January 3rd, 2008, 06:06 PM
Joking aside (see my previous post re Ca$), have you tried any of these for size and fit? You don't want to buy the best (according to others' opinions) and possibly most expensive and find out that thay're not a good fit.

I haven't tried any of them. I will do it after choose the brand which is what im looking for, you know..I won't be trying on every single brand of goggles...

The brands on the poll are the best I have heard about, price is not a problem, and if the goggles doesn't work for me I know lots of swimmer who would buy them...

Thanks for helping, I think im between 2 right now.

Jazz Hands
January 3rd, 2008, 06:08 PM
I think Speed Sockets are a lot more comfortable than Vanquishers. Definitely my favorite goggle.

Kurt Dickson
January 3rd, 2008, 06:14 PM
Hind Compy goggles are the best and they are still less than 5 dollars and have been around like 30 years (I bought like 30 pairs several years ago when they were like 2 cents a ton). They are good for racing or training and last months. Sweedish goggles hurt my eyes (no padding) and all the others are way to expensive.

The speedo aqua racer is good for racing if you have equal eye prescriptions (best optical correction I've used but not very comfortable for longer stuff).

blainesapprentice
January 3rd, 2008, 06:56 PM
I use the TYR Rocket Sockets for practice and I love them. I've worn glasses forever, and had to wear prescription goggles so I was very limited in what I could wear, so now that I wear contacts I tried out tons of goggles and fell in love with the Rocket Sockets--they're very similar to speedos speed sockets I believe? well they're like swedish, but have a soft silicone rim instead of that hard plastic that digs into your eye socket. The silicone rim also helps with a little more suctioning so they stay put a little better, and at $7 a pair you really can't lose.

I also use the women's vanquishers for meets, I still am paranoid that my goggles are gonna fall off on a dive (even though the rocket sockets never have) and I need to have that super tight suction you can get if you tighten the vanquishers tight enough.

I suggest also getting a bungee cord for your goggle strap...its soo much easier to adjust I don't use it on my practice goggles anymore, but my race pairs always have a bungee on them, because that way you can crank it real tight before the race and loosen it for warm up or warm down without any trouble.

Nathan
January 3rd, 2008, 07:46 PM
Speed Sockets for sure :groovy:

ensignada
January 3rd, 2008, 10:55 PM
Women's Vanquishers leak like sieves for me. I love TYR Femme Eclipse.

Allen Stark
January 3rd, 2008, 11:21 PM
I agree with Tim on the Racetechs.I have been using them for years and love them.:banana:

knelson
January 4th, 2008, 12:02 AM
Hind Compy goggles are the best

No, Compies are for swimmers who resist any kind of change! Seriously, IMO there are much better goggles on the market now. I think the Speedo Vanquishers are great. With the silicone strap and rubber gaskets they are virtually indestructible. The same can't be said for the older generation such as the Compy and the Speedo Sprint (which was my standard back in the "olden times.").

waves101
January 4th, 2008, 10:27 AM
I know I've posted this several times before but the View Snipers are awesome and they last forever. I know faces are different so they won't work for all but if you're undecided, check them out. Only problem is they don't come in clear (color). I use smoke.

Geek -

I don't know of the Speedo version but the View Snipers are similar, just built much better.

jim clemmons
January 4th, 2008, 11:34 AM
View V-100 Sniper, mirrored

http://www.tusa.com/shop/v100-sniper-mirrored-p-128.html

jim clemmons
January 4th, 2008, 11:43 AM
I meant to add that they cost around $15.00 from various suppliers, last (me) about 6 months for one pair including competing and work-outs. After the anti-fog wears off (a couple of weeks), just add a little Speedo anti-fog spray after each use and place back in a goggle container. Keep your fingers and anything else from touching the interior of the lens (other than water and the anti-fog) and they will seem practically new for a long period of time.

Surfsalterpath
January 4th, 2008, 07:14 PM
I've been wearing TYR Racetech now for 10+ years. They are the only kind I can find that are adjustable enough to fit my face well. In winter/mornings/evenings, I usually wear just the clear/smoke ones; summer or afternoon practices I wear the metallized (mirrored) version. I swim nearly every day M-F, go through about 3-4 pairs of goggles a year (but some seem to disappear before they wear out). I try to keep 2-3 pairs in my swim bag, just in case (at least one mirrored, one plain).

yep, racetechs for me too. clear for the winter indoors and mirror for the summer outside.

Just bought 6 pair for some that swim w/ us and the sorry latex strap only lasted for about 3 weeks!!:bitching::bitching::bitching:

...so I call swimoutlet.com and put them on notice to raise cain w/ TYR to get them sorry straps condemned!!!

I hope they stay on it and email me back letting me know they have upgraded their TYR Racetech straps to a silicone strap!!!:agree::agree::agree:

...your schedule is identical to mine M-F 12-1pm and I am glad I stumbled upon the racetechs many years ago. Generally a pair last me about 1.5 years b/c of the summer rotation.

PS: i wash them w/ baby shampoo every day before i swimm and it works great keeping the fog at bay!

Com'on TYR, pack a BETTER STRAP with your goggles!:cheerleader:

Ripple
January 4th, 2008, 08:54 PM

I'm about to buy new goggles and I need some help to decide...

Try to find a store that lets you try on goggles before buying them. (And if they are kind enough to let you do this, reward them by buying at least one pair from them, even if it's more expensive than online.)
What works for one person's face might not work for yours. When Tyr Tecnoflex stopped fitting me (I think they changed the mold) I tried on about eight different kinds before finding a model that worked as well, and bought at least one dud pair that seemed okay in the shop but started to hurt in the water. There really isn't a whole lot of difference between goggles other than the fit, so that is the most important thing to be looking for.

new
January 6th, 2008, 10:15 AM
I bought 2 new pairs of goggles yesterday.

It wasn't hard to decide, but I tried on like 100 different goggles.

Nike Remora III Performance: it's very painful on the nose, I could't wear them longer than 2 sec...

The speedo vanquishers...they are too big, not very confortable, and the periheral vision is horrible

Speedo speed socket: could't find it (I'd really liked to try them on :censor:)

Swedish goggles... one word: PAINFUL

Speedo Aqua Racer Optical Corrective: couldn't find them

V-100 Sniper: couldn't find them either

I tried on so many different googles that I don't even remember the brands and models.

Well, I ended up buying: Speedo Air Seal XR Mirrored

I already swam wearing them, they are awesome!!!

very confortable, very adjustables, perfect vision, no fog (yet), they didn't fill out with water at all, I jumped from the blocks and the didn't come off, good size, etc

Thanks everyone for answer the pool and for the advices.

mazzy
January 6th, 2008, 12:09 PM
Well, I ended up buying: Speedo Air Seal XR Mirrored

I already swam wearing them, they are awesome!!!

very confortable, very adjustables, perfect vision, no fog (yet), they didn't fill out with water at all, I jumped from the blocks and the didn't come off, good size, etc

Thanks everyone for answer the pool and for the advices.

The first few times that you'll wear it the peripherical vision will look "strange" due at the curve lens but after a while you'll get used, btw it float in water...yes... float because the gasket is filled with Air (-> Air seal )

I've tried all the most popular Speedo goggles, XR are best for me, the right blend between a racing goggle with the confort of a training ones, so I can dive, push off hard off the wall without any leak or resetting it.
The Aqua Racer is a close second for the performance in pool, but the smoke version is too faint and I've not found any other color available, the bright lights bother me a lot so I can't stand it in a bright pool, I'll try the mirrored version some day.

If you "love" it and you use the mid-size nose piece I think that you'll love the speed sockets with large nose piece for meet, they're very extreme, ultra low profile, small inprint, "hard" but terrific fit on the face, good for 5-10 mins, no for 60-90 mins for me; moreover in last few weeks a lot of good deals online on them, I suspect that in late summer speedo will launch a new top of the line goggle for the Olympic...so the Big stores are starting to clear the house or... maybe not...

Blackbeard's Peg
January 6th, 2008, 09:51 PM
Not sure where you're finding sweedes for $30, unless they're someone's modern knockoff. The ones you put together yourself shouldn't cost you more than $5, unless you're getting the metallized (sp?) ones for outdoors, which are in the ~$12 neighborhood.