PDA

View Full Version : Coaching Certification

Robert H Phillips
January 5th, 2008, 10:15 AM
Were forming a new Masters work out group in Medina Ohio using the local Rec Center thats attached to the high school.

Ohio law says the general public can't use the starting blocks and that to use the Starting blocks a Coach or Instructor must be present.

See

How does a Masters Coach become certified ? Is it the same as the Certification as the USA SWIMMING uses.

Or is it I suspect up to the local pool management.

Thanks,
Bob

Kevin in MD
January 5th, 2008, 10:59 AM
Were forming a new Masters work out group in Medina Ohio using the local Rec Center thats attached to the high school.

Ohio law says the general public can't use the starting blocks and that to use the Starting blocks a Coach or Instructor must be present.

See

How does a Masters Coach become certified ? Is it the same as the Certification as the USA SWIMMING uses.

Or is it I suspect up to the local pool management.

Thanks,
Bob

The question is how does Ohio law define "Coach" or "instructor" If you look up the regulation in the Ohio code of regulations - usually online. It will almost certainly have a section at the beginning of the regulation labeled definitions that will define what they consider a coach or instructor.

I would be very surprised to find out that they mean a person certified by the American Swim Coaches Association, which is the major organization that certifies coaches.

To be truthful, I'd be a little surprised to find out that there is in fact a law in the Ohio code of regulations about this. I'd ask for a reference from whoevert old you this. I suspect it may be a rule of some sort and whoever told you it was a law is overstating their case.

However, if there isn't a law there is probably a rule of the club. Most clubs don't allow people to use the blocks unless a coach is present. If it were me I'd go along with the usms insurance reg that a "coach" is someone on deck observing the practice and otinvolved in the swimming.

Specifically as it applies to using the blocks I'd want someone overseeing the practice who has taken the Red Cross Safety Training for Swim Coaches Class.

You can also help address this with USMS insurance. If every member of your group is a usms member your group can bring its own liability insurance. There's some paperwork to fill out, give them a certificate of insurance and off you go,but you will have to have a coach on deck.

mermaid
January 5th, 2008, 08:23 PM
Tis true that there are some areas around the States that have codes regarding the use of starting blocks. We have it here in Allegheny County, PA (Pittsburgh ish), however, Beaver County (next to Allegheny) does not have that same language - at least not the last time I looked at it.

I think the intent is as mentioned above - you need to have someone on deck who is trained in aquatic safety . . . whatever the certifying authority may be.