PDA

View Full Version : martial arts training for swimming

Mc Yummy
January 7th, 2008, 04:04 PM
this is just a thought, i don't know if you guys will agree but i'll still share it anyway.

i've been training for boxing, muay thai and capoeira aside from weight lifting, i love martial arts and i've been doing it for years. now my passion is in swimming though i'm still new i would want to be really good at it.

my thought is that from my experience in boxing, punching really develops your back muscles and gives your arms more strenght.

with muay thai, kicking the bag with your shin and heels 50x-100x per leg it does make it powerful and stronger.

same goes with capoeira with their ginga, the dance like movement that they do before executing any kicks or flips, it develops your hamstring and glute muscles.

what do you think?

cowsvils
January 7th, 2008, 07:05 PM
From what I understand it also is great for the core muscles and mental discipline. Gary Hall JR. (won 1 silver and 2 golds at the olympics) does kickboxing down at the race club, I also wouldn't be surprised if it develops quick fast twitch muscles. As training for swimming, it is quality from what I understand, plus you enjoy it, which is always a plus.

ande
January 7th, 2008, 10:26 PM
swim if you want to swim fast

ande

this is just a thought, i don't know if you guys will agree but i'll still share it anyway.

i've been training for boxing, muay thai and capoeira aside from weight lifting, i love martial arts and i've been doing it for years. now my passion is in swimming though i'm still new i would want to be really good at it.

my thought is that from my experience in boxing, punching really develops your back muscles and gives your arms more strenght.

with muay thai, kicking the bag with your shin and heels 50x-100x per leg it does make it powerful and stronger.

same goes with capoeira with their ginga, the dance like movement that they do before executing any kicks or flips, it develops your hamstring and glute muscles.

what do you think?

SwimStud
January 7th, 2008, 10:36 PM

what do you think?

Martial Arts helps you learn and feel what your body is doing...it cross trains with anything. Like Ande says though...swimming fast is the key.

Jazz Hands
January 7th, 2008, 10:42 PM
I agree with Ande here for the most part. Pool time is when the magic really happens. It doesn't hurt to do something different for fun and overall fitness, though.

chaos
January 8th, 2008, 10:41 AM
i think certain martial arts training can be very beneficial for swimming, but i wouldn't sacrafice pool time for the dojo.

i personally was unable to remain injury-free while training in jui jitsu and tae quan do.......... thats how/why i got back into the pool.

now, yoga seems to satisfy my flexability and strength needs.

ced357
January 8th, 2008, 06:52 PM
I started cross training with martial arts a few years ago. My specific martial art (White Tiger Kempo) is known for their fast hand techniques and full contact training. I can say first hand that I have noticed a couple improvements in my swimming since. Such as, faster reaction times at meets and a greater ability to tap into my adrenaline. However, I have obtained quite a few injuries from Karate that have prevented me from swimming. Therefore, it can also be counter-productive.

Overall, nothing can be a substitute for actual swimming, just be a compliment to it.

Good luck,