PDA

View Full Version : Numbness around eyes, forehead and tight goggles

FindingMyInnerFish
January 12th, 2008, 05:48 PM
Hi all,

I've been using goggles lately that someone gave me when my all-purpose speedos (comfortable but not too durable) broke. It took several adjustments to get a decent seal, but they press pretty tightly. I don't want to loosen them too much b/c of the aforementioned seal problem, but I noticed today after my workout that there was numbness above my left eye and around my forehead. No other symptoms, no dizziness, nothing like that--which is why I wonder if maybe the fit of the goggles was causing the problem. Or perhaps I'm getting allergic to whatever material they're made of--tho I never had problems w/ the speedos in that respect.

Has anyone else experienced this?

And goggle recommendations would be great also! I can't spend huge bux, but it would be nice to have feeling back in my forehead, not that it's a huge crisis.

Thanks very much!

Ripple
January 13th, 2008, 08:48 AM
You shouldn't be getting these problems. If durability is a concern, well, I've never found a goggle (expensive or otherwise) that lasted much more than 6 months, and I don't swim nearly as much as most of the people on this forum.
Go back to your old model of goggle if they were comfortable. Get 2 pairs and keep one in it's unopened packaging in your swim bag for emergencies.
If you are looking for a new model altogether, it's best to find a shop where they let you try on goggles. When you press the lenses against your eye sockets - without actually putting them on - you should feel a slight suction as you pull them away. Then try them on and see if they feel comfortable and also have good suction. I'm not going to make a specific suggestion (I use basic Speedo Hydrospex) because what fits me might not fit you.

FindingMyInnerFish
January 13th, 2008, 09:39 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. I think I have the same type of Speedo that you have, and they're probably the most comfortable type I've worn. Kind of too bad really that the ones I have now don't suit me, since they were given to me free. But OTOH, have gotten some use out of them.... Time to pick up my "old reliable" brand.