PDA

View Full Version : Instructional DVD - Recommendations

Bill
January 14th, 2008, 03:17 PM
Hi, I'm a triathlete who would like to learn fly, back and breast. I'm aware of the benefits of personal instruction, coaching, masters teams, etc but what I'm looking for is an instructional DVD. Any recommendations? Thanks!

carol58
January 14th, 2008, 04:14 PM
Terry Laughlin has made DVD's on freestyle, breaststroke and backstroke. I have ordered the one on freestyle. Check out amazon.com and see what is available and if people have offered reviews about these DVD's.

zegmal
January 14th, 2008, 06:02 PM
Terry's DVDs are a good starting point and are geared toward aging boomers, which means the fly he teaches is a one-kick fly and for breast he spends a lot of time on the streamline phase of the stroke. If you want something geared more toward speed and racing check out the videos on the goswim.com site.

jmeyer
January 14th, 2008, 06:53 PM
My favorite series so far is "Becoming A Champion Swimmer" by Richard Quick. I'm not aware of any other videos which build a stroke from the ground up using drills. They're available from Swimming World (http://www.swimmingworldmagazine.com/swimshop/default.asp).

I get something out of every video I see, but if I could only have one series that's the one I'd choose.

Bayou Dan
January 14th, 2008, 11:33 PM
I found the "Getting Better" series by David Marsh, the Auburn coach, to be very helpful, especially for fly and breast. Lots of good drills.

blainesapprentice
January 15th, 2008, 07:07 AM
My favorite series so far is "Becoming A Champion Swimmer" by Richard Quick. I'm not aware of any other videos which build a stroke from the ground up using drills. They're available from Swimming World (http://www.swimmingworldmagazine.com/swimshop/default.asp).

I get something out of every video I see, but if I could only have one series that's the one I'd choose.

We've used Richard Quick's videos during college to re-examine all of our strokes at the beginning of each season. We incorporate a lot of his suggested drills and progressions into our sets throughout the season.