+ clock stops
when your feet touch the wall on the opposite end of the pool

+ can't push off the bottom

Submit Your
Name, team, age, sex,
time, technique, witnesses, & timer

This should be fun.
Better yet, make a video and put it on youtube

Do you think anyone could break 15 seconds?
What's the fastest way to swim FEET FIRST?

Try it out,
Submit your times
we look forward to reading your results

The Fortress
January 14th, 2008, 03:23 PM
I'll look forward to watching you SDK feet first.

SwimStud
January 14th, 2008, 03:26 PM
What's the fastest way to swim FEET FIRST?
*snip*
Do you think anyone could break 15 seconds?

Ande, standardise the start to in water. I can see someone hurling themselves off the block/side, trying to enter at an angle and knocking themselves out...

I can think of 2 strokes already. 15 seconds? Hmmm

ande
January 14th, 2008, 04:02 PM
I think swimming straight is going to be a challenge and
most people can jump far enough away from the block to not bash their heads in.

I'm going to go for the
supine-feet-first-streamline-scull-above-the-head method

ALM
January 14th, 2008, 04:16 PM
Ande, standardise the start to in water. I can see someone hurling themselves off the block/side, trying to enter at an angle and knocking themselves out...

...most people can jump far enough away from the block to not bash their heads in.

Ande, you are fortunate to be able to swim in a deep pool. We had a swimmer who cracked his heel bone by jumping feet-first into the shallow end of our pool. I agree with Stud - please standardize on an in-water start.

Anna Lea

ande
January 14th, 2008, 04:20 PM
in water start

+ you may do a feet first start from the side in the water
Hands on wall
feet extended and pointed at the other end
swimmer may be on belly back or side
push off wall with arms after starter says go

Ande, you are fortunate to be able to swim in a deep pool. We had a swimmer who cracked his heel bone by jumping feet-first into the shallow end of our pool. I agree with Stud - please standardize on an in-water start.

Anna Lea

geochuck
January 14th, 2008, 04:30 PM
I have done the no scull version and travelled 20 yards with the face down. Pushing off the wall the wall with both hands and gliding feet first. With sculling above the head it should be very easy.

ande
January 14th, 2008, 09:41 PM
any one gonna do this?

Allen Stark
January 14th, 2008, 09:53 PM
Sounds fun.I have been able to go faster with the hands forward technique(it is more like a breaststroke pull.)So is the formal rule the in water start? Is kicking allowed?(I can do a reverse breaststroke kick that is propulsive,but I have no idea if it is faster,I'll have to time it.)

SwimStud
January 14th, 2008, 10:24 PM
any one gonna do this?

I couldn't get a timer...tonight. Will try Wed..even if I go off the clock myself.

cowsvils
January 14th, 2008, 11:38 PM
Did a little playing around with this during some easy work in between sprints, it seems to me the best position is a kind of reverse streamline, I found the hands at the side making mini breaststroke pulls was quickest, that may just be because i'm a breaststroker though.

Allen, that sounds painful, but i'm intrigued.

ALM
January 14th, 2008, 11:59 PM
We're going to try it Wednesday night. :drown:

Maui Mike
January 15th, 2008, 01:49 AM
When I flutter kick without fins it seems like I go backwards. Maybe this will be a good event for me?

Rob Copeland
January 15th, 2008, 08:43 AM
any one gonna do this?Last night from an in-water start with a hand push-off and toes on wall finish; I went 26.4, doing a reverse crawl. When trying feet first sculling I wasn’t able to crack 35 seconds. Albeit both attempts were at the end of practice and not at full speed.

geochuck
January 15th, 2008, 08:59 AM
This should be added to the Olympics. It would be very exciting. We could have reverse freestyle, reverse fly, reverse breaststroke and backstroke. May be even reverse butterfrog.

ALM
January 15th, 2008, 10:14 AM
Last night from an in-water start with a hand push-off and toes on wall finish; I went 26.4, doing a reverse crawl.

Rob, describe the reverse crawl. Were you on your stomach, or your back?

Anna Lea

ande
January 15th, 2008, 11:04 AM
very interesting

we swam LCM this morning
so I wasn't able to take a crack yet

part of the puzzle is figuring out how to get a good reverse streamline glide off the start jump
racers have to enter feet first on their starts

maybe we'll go SCY tomorrow

reverse free on the belly might be a good way to go
I don't see how kicking will help maybe some sort of crazy reverse dolphin

look forward to reading more results

Rob Copeland
January 15th, 2008, 12:19 PM
Rob, describe the reverse crawl. Were you on your stomach, or your back?

Anna LeaWell it wouldn’t be much of a reverse crawl on your back, now would it? Think of watching a freestyle race in reverse. The hand enters at the hip and pulls (pushes?) past the head and recovers back (forward?) to the hips. You can actually get a pretty good EVF (LVF?) in reverse.

As for starting, back in the day when we used to race feet first, corkscrew, synchrostyle (backstroke with one leg straight up out of the water, you got a time bonus for best toe point) we found the best start from the blocks was a ¾ flip. It starts out like a normal dive, but in air you tuck, flip and land feet first at an angle similar to a regular start. NOTE: this works best if you are an invulnerable teen age boy, not a creaky adult who should know better. And besides, didn’t we say in water starts?

JMiller
January 15th, 2008, 11:24 PM
any one gonna do this?

I tried this tonight... It was very slow... 26.3 (any movement at all went in the wrong direction)

The Fontress
January 16th, 2008, 12:50 AM
I didn't go very fast, but jumped over the backstroke flags.... went too deep to recover.

ande
January 16th, 2008, 10:21 AM
i'm sick today so I didn't get a chance yet stayed home
I think it would be good to practice starts to figure out how to get the most glide, speed and distance

that's cool that some of y'all took a crack at it
looks like 26.3 is the fastest time so far
J, was that yards or meters

JMiller
January 16th, 2008, 11:32 AM
i'm sick today so I didn't get a chance yet stayed home
I think it would be good to practice starts to figure out how to get the most glide, speed and distance

that's cool that some of y'all took a crack at it
looks like 26.3 is the fastest time so far
J, was that yards or meters

Ande,

Yes, I did the feet-first challenge in a meter pool...

Sorry you're not feeling well... I've felt a bit of a cold coming as well, but drinking lot's of rooibos tea...

Maybe your cold is from your very FAST work-out... perhaps it took a little out of the system.. or you were just starting to fight the cold, so there was extra energy during the performance...? Is it possible you stayed too excited after (those were excellent times), potentially draining your energy?

Jonathan Miller

geochuck
January 16th, 2008, 12:11 PM
What causes a cold it is not the weather or how fast you train. Drinking special teas does not cure it.
http://www.howstuffworks.com/question38.htm

3strokes
January 16th, 2008, 03:16 PM
Well it wouldn’t be much of a reverse crawl on your back, now would it? Think of watching a freestyle race in reverse. The hand enters at the hip and pulls (pushes?) past the head and recovers back (forward?) to the hips.

And do you think that this can be fast enough to finish and jump backwards onto the starting block?:bow:

ande
January 16th, 2008, 05:43 PM
if swimmers choose to race on their belly's
i think it would be a very bad idea to jump off a block facing backwards
swimmers can jump facing forward then
do the half twist in the air or in the water after they land

JMiller
January 17th, 2008, 10:20 AM
What causes a cold it is not the weather or how fast you train. Drinking special teas does not cure it.

Hey George,

Who said anything about curing a cold? Drinking tea will at least give your body a fighting chance. Conversely, being physically tired from training can make you more susceptible to the bug. Tea helps...

ande
January 17th, 2008, 11:10 AM
this morning
the pool was set up LCM
I did a
25 meter feet first sprint off the blocks
tyler timed
started from his go and
went 22.2

I used for the
reverse streamline on my back over head scull techinique

I found it was hard to get a breath and