PDA

View Full Version : Watch me swim?

blainesapprentice
January 15th, 2008, 06:59 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFvFoxI5ceA

Well, I finally have a video of me swimming, unfortunately for me, its a video of me losing...but...maybe you all can tell me a thing or two about my swimming.

I am in lane three in the video--with a black cap.

Sorry for the quality and distance of the video it was my mom's first time haha, you can hear her yelling at me too.

Thanks!

CreamPuff
January 15th, 2008, 08:38 AM
Morgan,

Thanks for posting the video! That was great fun to watch and you looked really great in the water!! Very exciting race! :woot::applaud:

I personally feel you lost that race on the start (plopped in with no SDK or leg movement of any kind while streamlining off the start - you then had to catch back up after the start) and turns (pushing off the walls after the flip.) All your streamlines could really tighten up as well (off the dive it looked to be at about 50%!). A good goal would be to get out past the flags on your turns. I think you were just making it to the flags. I know doing SDKs off walls in a 200 is hard, but I would recommend starting with taking even just 2 or 3. Gotta work on this in practice.

On the actual swim part, I felt you were as fast as the 1st place finisher. I really couldn't see exactly what your breathing pattern was as it was hard to see on the video.

Looked like you were on the laneline a bit off some of the turns. I always try and remind myself to swim down the middle (hard to do when you practice on the right side all the time during workouts!)

Your kick looked pretty good but I'd continue to work on it. There were a few points in the race where it died down; however, I know it's hard to keep it going on a 200!

Anyhoo. Let the experts on this board give their recommendations. Just my :2cents:

Super swimming!

SwimStud
January 15th, 2008, 09:18 AM
I'll leave the technical stuff to the others but I think another 5 yards and you win that race...think you can dig any deeper on the last 50?

LindsayNB
January 15th, 2008, 09:20 AM
It looked to me like a big part was the turns. The third turn for example, you go in even and come out a half body length behind.

Rob Copeland
January 15th, 2008, 09:41 AM
First and most important what did your coach say about your swim? And congratulations on a nice swim. If any of my comments differ from what your coach is teaching, my apologies.

1) It looks like you are carrying your head a bit high, if you look at the elite swimmers today, the head position is lower during the stroke, breathing (you want your mouth out of the water not your eyes) and off the wall (check out Phelps’ head off the walls). This will help your streamline and get you swimming downhill.

2) It looks like you are stroking with your arms only, not much core.

3) It looks like you could extend a bit further on your reach, and work on the catch, EVF.

4) And it looks like you are finishing short on your stroke, especially the left arm.

Please don’t take these as criticisms of your swimming, just observations of a fellow swimmer.

geochuck
January 15th, 2008, 09:52 AM
Rob has covered it well, head position, finish etc.

I do notice also your head is high when you push off on the turns. You must come off the walls in a more streamlined position, head down.

Impressed Morgan http://www.strose.edu/Golden_Knights/view_profile.asp?Player_id=946&Team_id=10

blainesapprentice
January 15th, 2008, 11:04 AM
thanks for all the comments! That girl beat me on the 500 too...that was a depressing race...I might post it later...though it was very humbling.

The wall far from the blocks was a bulkhead and I hated it. I missed a lot of my turns and had a hard time on all of them at that end. I felt really slow--not necessarily slow--but not smooth, and very heavy yesterday in the pool. I think our training in general this past week was such high intensity swimming and then we had an afternoon off, a day of two hard practices, a day off, and then the day before the meet we did a two hour practice that we only did 1,800yards of garbage swimming in. Then the meet. None of us did great times and most of us mentioned feeling similarly sluggish.

I definatly do want to get my kick off the walls back up..I'm not really sure what happened to it, I normally have very strong walls, and yesterday I just couldnt get into it.

Today we have the day off again, but I am going to go to the pool tonight and do some light swimming just to loosen up and get back into it and I will work on some of the more technical things, and work on my walls a bit more.

Thanks again!

Rob Copeland
January 15th, 2008, 12:06 PM
Check out USA Nationals video.
http://swimnetwork.com/
Day 1 Womens 500 – starts at 16:25
Compare your head position on the turns, stroke and breathing to theirs. You will see they keep them down more.
Look at their extension and catch and how they are using the core body to extend the stroke and add power.

Day 1 Mens 500 – starts at 36:30
Look at Vanderkaay’s head position on his turns (buried under his streamline) when he breathes (low and in the trough) and on the underwater shots look at how he catches.

Day 2 Mens 200 – 1:18:40 B-finals
The kid in lane 8 is an example of carrying his head too high while breathing. And while he gets away with it here, it makes him work harder than the rest of the field.

Day 2 Mens 200 – 1:23:36 A-finals
There’s a good shot of Phelps’ head position off the second turn.

blainesapprentice
January 15th, 2008, 04:53 PM
Thanks Rob--great videos!

rtodd
January 15th, 2008, 07:43 PM
well done. Looks like you brought your kick into the race nicely.

blainesapprentice
January 16th, 2008, 05:20 AM
I just uploaded my 500 swim too. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdOqorl8fLs

If you watch it, don't get too excited when you see that I am out front by a little bit for the first few lengths...it doesn't last. :doh: In my defense...I didn't slow down...she sped up. It's the same girl from the 200freestyle.

I am in the same lane as before-lane 3.

geochuck
January 16th, 2008, 08:41 AM
You had a cheerleader taking the film. You held in well.

I still like to see the kick in the water in longer events.

Did I notice when the hands exited you did not exit cleanly?

Was the finish short on most strokes?

Slapping the water with the hand on the entry?

Did I see wind milling?

Your head slightly high?

Do you need more streamline coming off the turns?

pwolf66
January 16th, 2008, 08:49 AM
As was mentioned before, work your turns. You should be coming up at or past the solid section of the lane markers and instead you are cmoing up about half a body length behind. But you did a great job of consistent turns, you came up in the same place every time. Now just work on pushing off just a little harder and holding a tighter streamline off the wall.

Compare your breakouts with the girl in lane 4 and you will see what I mean, she was breaking out about 2-3 feet farther out than you and that was really the difference on each lap.

A good race over all, you held a solid pace thruout.

Paul

rtodd
January 16th, 2008, 08:08 PM
You are an awesome swimmer.

You were hanging onto 18 strokes for a long time but toward the end your glide to the wall was getting a bit long. This lasted a few laps and maybe you were falling back a bit on these glides before you switched to 19.

I just think it was a solid swim. Well done.

What did Coach say? Were your splits even?

Blackbeard's Peg
January 16th, 2008, 11:24 PM
Morgan, with your 500, no worries - that situation happens to me all the time. We call it getting "EB'd." A teammate, we call him Ellis, spends most of a 500 1-2-3 bodylengths behind me, then starts coming on strong ~350-400 and ends up passing me on the last 50. After this happened several times, I become Ellis' *Bizzatch*, and thereon, we refer to the situation as being EB'd ;).

I won't :dedhorse: about your turns, but it is a great (motivational) example of how important turns are in these events. Meters, esp. long course, you have that girl!

Question for you - left arm... does that arm tend to cross over toward your center axis when you breathe? Its hard to tell from the distance, but when you breathe to the right, it looks like your body started to twist a bit toward your right side - which would be caused by a hand out of position underwater. If that is happening, correcting that could be a great source of time!

JMiller
January 17th, 2008, 10:39 AM
Good race!

You out swam your competition, and that's impressive. Many have said to work on your turns, but specificly how should you do that?

I recommend first to keep doing what you're doing well. Swimming strong, not giving up, these are good qualities.

It was also good to hear the chearing in the stands from the video, the emotion was there, for sure.

So the turns... This takes more practice... A good turn isn't too tight to the wall, ultimately covering a farther distance. You want to be flipped and in a nearly-full extension in the other direction before your feet touch the wall. So the actual turn happens a little sooner and the forward motion keeps your body moving to the wall. One trick to do this is initiating the turn a little deeper with your head and torso, this gives you more leverage to flip your legs over, and allows your body to cover more distance. The other part is to land on the wall with your legs a little more extended, think about a basketball shot, you don't bend your knees all the way before jumping, does that make sense? At maximum a 90 degree bend, but a little more extended is okay, that way you cut the distance of the pool.

Happy swimming,

blainesapprentice
January 17th, 2008, 11:09 AM
We have another 2 meets this weekend..so I will hopefully have a chance to showcase some of these hints I have been trying to incorporate into my practicing. Unfortunatly, I am in a situation where our practices are a lot of swim swim swim and not a lot of guidance or review of what we are doing right or wrong or how we could improve or push ourselves farther. I have been working primarily on my turns this week and trying to breathe a little lower to the water--but I am not sure I know exactly what I am doing in terms of head position in general.

Thanks again!

geochuck
January 17th, 2008, 12:17 PM
It would be better if we had some better clips of your swimming say a side view, and head on view so we can really watch your stroke. Both those clips are too far away. When I downloaded to analyse your stroke it was pretty well blurred.

We have another 2 meets this weekend..so I will hopefully have a chance to showcase some of these hints I have been trying to incorporate into my practicing. Unfortunatly, I am in a situation where our practices are a lot of swim swim swim and not a lot of guidance or review of what we are doing right or wrong or how we could improve or push ourselves farther. I have been working primarily on my turns this week and trying to breathe a little lower to the water--but I am not sure I know exactly what I am doing in terms of head position in general.

Thanks again!

runner girl
January 18th, 2008, 08:38 PM
You might want to consider working on your power off the wall, in addition to technique things everyone else has mentioned. One thing I have been trying to do lately is to concentrate on pushing really hard off the wall on every turn, regardless of the pace. This can make those junk yardage workouts worthwhile. Swim into the wall, turn, push for all your are worth and then SDK and streamline out. Spending a small amount time in the gym working the quads, running stairs or hills would also help give you more power off the wall.

Good luck this weekend!

Crazy Asian
January 20th, 2008, 03:17 PM
on ur start, your hand go over your head and kind of arc into the water. They are supposed to be going from under to give you upwards momentum.

You actually swim faster than the other chick, but you were getting raped on the turns. She came out half a body length in front off of every turn.

blainesapprentice
January 20th, 2008, 07:30 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUDu_AJVQLU

Had a meet yesterday (Saturday 1/19/08) against St. Michaels college. They're a small team--we won very easily. I swam the fly in the 200 medley relay (see link above--we're in lane 3 I believe--whichever lane is winning). I split a 29. on it, which wasn't great but I was trying to hold off because I was in the 1000 right afterwards. They won't let my upload the 1000 video because its too big I guess? I'm trying it again--because while the time wasn't anything spectacular I think it shows my stroke pretty good and I did work my turns on that event and it felt much better than my 200and 500 from the week earlier. It was my first time swimming the 1000ever, and I went a 11:28.86 with no competition really. I also swam the 200free relay lead off--but I was on the B relay for whatever reason, went a 27.2...not very good but, eh.

Had another meet today. (Sunday 1/20/08) against Bentley College. They're much better than us, and pretty much killed us. I got 2nd in the 200freestyle in a 2:05 something and 2nd in the 500 in a 5:34. I also swam the 100 freestyle which I got either 3rd or 4th in, I was very upset about that swim because I did a 59.11, which is over a 2second increase from the times I should be doing. Oh well, we were dead today--no one swam very well from our team...we're beat. I might upload those videos later as well, its a crappy spectator area so my mom who was taping was pretty far away from the pool today.

geochuck
January 20th, 2008, 07:35 PM
That was a great 50 fly. Very smooth.

blainesapprentice
January 20th, 2008, 07:57 PM

hey-thanks! I was actually surprised when I saw the video that it did look that smooth--we had had practice that morning, then warm up, then they did diving before the meet started. So when I dove in and took my first stroke I was like: "oh man, this hurts!" I had gotten very tight during that 30-40minute break for diving. I'm just glad it looked good and strong considering.

CreamPuff
January 20th, 2008, 08:24 PM

Ditto. Loved watching it. You're a flyer too.

LindsayNB
January 20th, 2008, 09:23 PM
They won't let my upload the 1000 video because its too big I guess?

Split it into two, youtube videos are limited to 10min. Great fly!

blainesapprentice
January 20th, 2008, 09:26 PM
Hey! How do I split the video? I'm brand new to youtube--i got my videocamera for christmas:-)

Split it into two, youtube videos are limited to 10min. Great fly!

LindsayNB
January 20th, 2008, 09:41 PM
I don't think you can do it on youtube but probably whatever software you are using to load it from the camera to your computer can split it for you. Windows Movie Maker, which comes free with Windows can split a video for you, just pause it in the preview window where you want to split and use the button to the lower right under the video preview, the one next to the "Take a Picture" button.

For maximum simplicity, just use whatever method you currently use to save video to your computer to save the first half of the race and then again to save the second half. I hope that makes sense!

ViveBene
January 20th, 2008, 10:38 PM
Thank you for posting the videos. The fly is a dream.:agree:

Regards,
VB

blainesapprentice
January 21st, 2008, 04:04 PM
Thank you for posting the videos. The fly is a dream.:agree:

Regards,
VB

Thank you:wave:! Now I just wish he would let me swim the 100fly once in a while, since he thinks I might be swimming it at championships and have only swam it in competition once this entire season. Gotta love that.

Blackbeard's Peg
January 21st, 2008, 09:42 PM
Thank you:wave:! Now I just wish he would let me swim the 100fly once in a while, since he thinks I might be swimming it at championships and have only swam it in competition once this entire season. Gotta love that.

Ahh, don't worry about it... you've swum it enough, including in practice, to know what you're doing. I swam the 200 fly once last season before zones (and only 2 or 3 times EVER before that), and though my splits were not the kind you'd like to see (1:00.8, 1:10.4), the end time was a pretty big time drop.

blainesapprentice
January 21st, 2008, 09:46 PM
Well, I actually really don't do much fly at all in practice--because he never puts me in anything but freestyle--swimming that medley relay was only the 2nd time all season I've swam butterfly at a meet. I suppose if he decides to put me in the 100fly at championships I oughta start practicing it a bit more. I just would like to swim it in a meet beforehand for the seed times. At our championship meet having a fast seed time is such a huge deal for staying out of wall lanes, and getting in a heat thats gonna push you.

but we'll see

geochuck
January 21st, 2008, 09:48 PM
A good freestyler makes a good butterfly swimmer.

blainesapprentice
January 21st, 2008, 09:58 PM
how come? I mean I don't disagree, but fundamentally they don't have to be very similar--for instance--I don't sdk on my freestyle, ever.

CreamPuff
January 22nd, 2008, 08:51 AM
Well, I actually really don't do much fly at all in practice--because he never puts me in anything but freestyle--swimming that medley relay was only the 2nd time all season I've swam butterfly at a meet. I suppose if he decides to put me in the 100fly at championships I oughta start practicing it a bit more. I just would like to swim it in a meet beforehand for the seed times. At our championship meet having a fast seed time is such a huge deal for staying out of wall lanes, and getting in a heat thats gonna push you.

but we'll see

Morgan, my take on all this is that your fly looks good. I think you've got a shot at a solid 100 with the right attitude going in. :groovy:I swam 25s and a few 50s fly in practice as a kid (and as an adult!) I almost never did 100 flys in practice. But I hit :58 pretty quickly in the 100 as a kid. As an adult I'll hit 1:00 (after swimming 3 to 4 events prior to it). The key was to swim a moderate amount of fly in practice but with perfect form (never breaking down). I also like free/ fly and drill fly. And I just had a plan (worked out with my coach) as to how to swim the 100 fly in a meet. Do a 100 for time in practice a couple of times.

Forget about whether or not you get a wall lane. Mark Stephens won senior nationals in the 400 IM from A WALL LANE (lane 1) in 2004. And hey, I'm not near SR Nats, but I did win my heat in the 1000 free from lane 1 at the USA-S meet I did a couple of weeks ago. And it was my first time swimming it.

For the first time, I'm learning that it's not a great idea to rely on someone else (my competition) to insure I have a good race. I'm struggling now with relying on me to push myself. It's a great skill to learn. Sometimes it helps me to try and get as far as I can in front of my competition even if it's a "slow" heat. But it's best when I have my plan and the confidence to execute it regardless of the competition.

Basically, I'm just trying to say that with a little mental preparation and planning in practice, it is VERY possible to swim an event for the first time (ever or that season) and have a GREAT swim! In looking at your 50 fly, I feel you could have a very good 100.

You go girl! i.e., see your signature. :cheerleader::cheerleader:
Obviously you see through my motive which is to convert you to what I love best - fly! :D

George, amen! Free and fly rule. I train both and each helps the other. IM helps my fly and free. Nothing seems to really help my IM however. :lmao:

blainesapprentice
January 22nd, 2008, 11:02 AM
Well you don't have to convert me--I came to college as a flyer. My coach has just choosen to utilize me with boring freestyle-same events every meet for my entire college career. Fun.

Slowswim
January 25th, 2008, 04:32 PM
I'll leave the technical stuff to the others but I think another 5 yards and you win that race...think you can dig any deeper on the last 50?

I agree with Rich. You ate that girls lunch between the walls. Every ,length you out swam her by half a body length and lost it on the walls.

I have no clue how to fix it, but I'm sure with practice you'll take her next time.