ande
January 15th, 2008, 07:26 PM
thought y'all might find this interesting

what do you think

Practice at Race Club
http://www.flocasts.org/floswimming/speakers.php?sid=713&vid=7428

thewookiee
January 15th, 2008, 08:53 PM
Thanks for posting. I am attending a six day camp there in a few weeks.

Redbird Alum
January 15th, 2008, 10:59 PM
Ande -

Thanks for the post! I found the "stations" approach really intriguing. I wish my center would allow me to do some of the diving and starting drills they used, but then I would need a split timer!

The Fortress
January 16th, 2008, 09:08 AM
The kayak drill looked very cool. I want to go swim with Mike Bottom and be a cat.

shark
January 16th, 2008, 11:32 AM
My only question is, "Are they hiring?"

geochuck
January 17th, 2008, 10:07 AM
They propose too much work and not enough fun.

JMiller
January 17th, 2008, 10:11 AM
Back in 2005 I was able to meet Gary Hall Sr., and it was a good conversation. Interesting concept they've started with the Race Club. I wonder how Gary Hall Jr. will race this year? Does anyone know if he'll be in top condition for the Olympics?

thewookiee
January 17th, 2008, 04:11 PM
Why wouldn't he be? Hall may not race a lot but each time it has come to the BIG SHOW, he has always been ready.

shark
January 18th, 2008, 08:34 AM
Has anyone tried the Kayak Exercise? Yesterday I incorporated it into my workout.

1000 IM (200fr, 200bk, 200fr, 200br, 200fr)
10 x 50 @ :50
4 x [8 x 25] each set mechanic focus drill IM order @ 1:00
1 x 400 IM stroke focus @ 8:00
8 x 50 - 25 Kayak, 12.5 Turbo Kick (w/ face in water) 12.5 easy @ 2:00
1 x HammerDown 50 Free - from blocks - checked heart rate - 26 per 10 sec
250 easy

I gotta say, the abs, forearms and legs got a very good workout from that exercise. I'm a believer.

thewookiee
January 18th, 2008, 08:41 AM
I tried it the other night...besides getting some strange looks, I found that it helped with the idea of grabbing water and rolling yourself past the board.

When I tried pushing the board it hurt my shoulders but when I placed the board in the water and tried to drive my body past it, I went a long way down the pool with no shoulder issues.

The biggest thing I got out of that drill...it was FUN!!!! Which to me is sometimes way more important than anything else a drill,set,practice can do for one's swimming...just doing it to have FUN.

Paul Smith
January 18th, 2008, 09:14 AM
Back in 2005 I was able to meet Gary Hall Sr., and it was a good conversation. Interesting concept they've started with the Race Club. I wonder how Gary Hall Jr. will race this year? Does anyone know if he'll be in top condition for the Olympics?

Jonathan,
Although TRC is somewhat new, the training they are doing really started back at Cal in 1995. Mike Bottom has always had some very unique and controversial training ideas bu you can't argue to much with the impact he has had both at Cal, Auburn and TRC.

What will be interesting to see 9and something heavilly deabted on their website) is if this type of training can be successfull for a 100 LCM....quite a differant and far more challenging event than the 50 or the 100 SCY....also an event Gary has made clear he wants to train for/compete in this year to be on the 400 free relay.

shark
January 18th, 2008, 09:34 AM
Can you classify it as a drill? Does it have any connection to stroke mechanics? Or is it more of an exercise to work muscles that help in swimming. Any exercise that helps to work muscles used in swimming, that can break up the monotony of travelling the black line has got to be beneficial. At least for the mental aspect of breaking it up a little.

This is another exercise I use that is fun and helps in working the legs and abs. I'll try to explain it without images.

With your back toward the other end of the pool, head out of the water, place your body as close to a 90 degree angle as you can and kick backwards towards the other end of the pool. Place a bouy in front of you and allow the wake to float the bouy in front of you. If you can keep the bouy in the small triangle wake, it will follow you to the other end without you touching it. This exercise works the legs and abs and breaks the monotony of down and back, down and back, down and back. Remember head out of the water looking at the bouy.

Michael Bolton
January 18th, 2008, 11:50 PM
GHJ has one meet, and one meet only, which he trains for and that is the Olympic Games. Gary will be in top shape for Trials and will be going to the Olympics. Sprinting is about who is best THAT DAY, and when it is GHJ behind the blocks at Trials or The Games, GJH will WIN THAT DAY

knelson
January 20th, 2008, 10:20 PM
I wouldn't count Gary out, but he definitely has his work cut out for him. I'd put my money on Cullen Jones and Ben Wildman-Tobriner to make the team for the 50. I think the 100 field might be too fast even for the relay spots. I'd like for him to prove me wrong, though. Like I said, never count him out!

CreamPuff
January 21st, 2008, 08:59 AM
Great clip to watch. What struck me is how much coordination one needs at many of the stations (running dive from the side of the pool :doh:). That, and the difference in the male: female ratio. :laugh2:

samson
January 23rd, 2008, 05:10 PM
Join The Race Club discussion forum to discuss these drills with TRC athletes:

http://www.theraceclub.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1320