PDA

View Full Version : streamline

blainesapprentice
January 16th, 2008, 10:44 PM
Hey everyone:

Thanks for all the comments on my videos...as many of you noticed...I don't stay under on my turns very long and I think a big part of that is my streamline. I know (now) that my streamline is something that I really need to conciouslly think about during practice.

I have always had a hard time with streamline because of shoulder issues, and poor range of motion in my shoulders. However, I had gotten much better until just recently. I think because I have been diligently lifting and swimming so much more recently, and we've not been doing as much stretching before practice that I have lost some flexibility in my shouders--thus I've been slacking on my streamline.

Any suggestions for stretches on land that will help me to be more comfortable holding streamline position would be greatly appreciated.:smooch: I currently do the streamline hold on the wall 4x30seconds, and I am going to try to do that at least 2-3times a day. But let me tell you, that hurts like a mother to hold streamline for 30seconds in that stretch...so...seriously, anything would be good.

today in the pool I really focused on holding my streamline off my walls and the difference from the past week or so is amazing...I can easily come off a body length or two past the flags...so I am certainly going to do whatever I need to to get that back to being internalized and comfortable.

thanks in advance :-)

geochuck
January 16th, 2008, 11:05 PM
Without me writing - here is some help http://www.swimeasy.net/perfectstreamline.php

I believe the coach is a TI guy, it is pretty good info.

I do not do stretching to attain streamline. I just push off the wall with the hand over hand, the arms are outstreached. I keep the head down ears covered by the upper arm every time I turn. I make the most of this turn and glide as far as I can.

Blackbeard's Peg
January 16th, 2008, 11:28 PM
Morganator...
Check out GoSwim.tv's video player. Click to the 2nd page and look for "Balanced Push" in the title. Its a simple, in-water streamline drill but works wonders for crappy streamlines (and doubles as hypoxic/ breath control too!). I used it on my clinic kids last weekend and have been doing it myself in the pool.

Surfsalterpath
January 16th, 2008, 11:34 PM
I just push off the wall with the hand over hand

think explode off the wall....

and

...remember to hang that thumb of the upper hand over the outside of your lower hand to keep those hands together and pointed. Comes w/ habit

and

pointed toes and ankles together

Be the pencil.

poolraat
January 17th, 2008, 11:16 AM
Any suggestions for stretches on land that will help me to be more comfortable holding streamline position would be greatly appreciated.:smooch: I currently do the streamline hold on the wall 4x30seconds, and I am going to try to do that at least 2-3times a day. But let me tell you, that hurts like a mother to hold streamline for 30seconds in that stretch...so...seriously, anything would be good.

Morgan,
Since you have shoulder issues you should be very careful in what you do to restore the flexibility you need to get into a good streamline position. I don't know if you have tried yoga, but it may help. Just be careful with the type of yoga you attempt. The "power yoga" disciplines are not what I would recommend. Try to find a teacher that practices vinyassa, Iyengar, or a similiar style and explain to them what your problems are and what you want to accomplish. They should be able to work with you and show you poses that will safely restore your shoulder flexibility.