PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know anything about the Speedo Solar 1" Brief?

USAswimmer9185
January 22nd, 2008, 12:14 PM
[removed]

SKO
January 22nd, 2008, 02:22 PM
i know nothing about that specific suit, but jammers to briefs i feel like is a lot of personal preference... unless you're being in like fastskins and stuff.

I think jammers scientifically provide some compression for your legs and they say that reduces muscle fatigue, but as a sprinter i have found little difference in leg fatigue.

I have noticed some breaststrokers like briefs > jammers and jammers > legskins because of feel.

aztimm
January 22nd, 2008, 04:21 PM
I have some of these, but they may not be the exact suit you are looking at. I think I got them last year during the end of season clearance. They are ok and seem to fit well....but they really do have very limited coverage, especially on the side. Since I normally wear a mesh drag suit anyway, it doesn't really matter what I wear under it, so I'll sometimes wear one of these. As I use them, they seem to last slightly longer than a typical suit. But I don't think I'd want to wear one by itself.

Before buying from speedousa.com, I'd also check the prices of suits on swimoutlet.com; there's been some pretty good specials lately. There was another thread where people posted all the sites they buy from, you may want to search the first 2-3 pages of this forum and find that too.

geochuck
January 22nd, 2008, 07:17 PM
I have one my wife will not let me wear it during open swims she says it exposes to much with my 250lb frame. It fits well and I like it.

sftom
January 22nd, 2008, 07:51 PM
I think it's considered to be more of a fashion statement rather than a serious suit for competition or training.

Kurt Dickson
January 22nd, 2008, 07:56 PM
Looks like a banana hammock only to be worn on the beach in southern France--that is, if you are going to wear anything.

PArob83
January 23rd, 2008, 08:36 AM
I was going through an archive of a swimming competition on webshots. Is this the swimsuit I ordered? Does anyone know?

And if so, is it okay to wear this for competitions, the Y, lake, beach, waterpark, etc?

It looks like the solar, though I have seen the 1'' solar (by speedo) also sold as a thong, and the tag was the same....
Though as long as you got the one with the full back, id say that looks like a similar cut to it.

It should be ok, as on some higher levels of swimming and in other countries the suits only have 1'' on the side anyway.

So id say go for it.

(note the solar is usually a high angle cut so it wont cover nearly as much, so be sure its not loose or to tight.)

knelson
January 23rd, 2008, 10:56 AM
And if so, is it okay to wear this for competitions, the Y, lake, beach, waterpark, etc?

Is it OK? Yes. Will people stare and perhaps laugh (especially outside a competitive environment)? Almost certainly.

Ripple
January 25th, 2008, 08:26 AM
How do I make sure I get the correct size?

And what are the problems with having a speedo too tight or too loose? And how will I know either way?

If you're ordering online, get a tape measure and measure yourself wherever the size chart on the website says to. I'm guessing the hip measurement is most important for this style of suit. Don't go by your street clothing size because even men's wear is now made in "vanity" sizing.
When you try it on it should fit quite snugly without cutting off your circulation anywhere. Remember that the fabric will get looser in the water and relax a bit more after 8-10 swims.

PArob83
January 25th, 2008, 11:42 AM
How do I make sure I get the correct size?

And what are the problems with having a speedo too tight or too loose? And how will I know either way?

If its too tight it may feel too tight, though if its too loose you will have wrinkles and you'll feel it flap in the water as you swim.