PDA

View Full Version : Postal swim reunites boy with mommy

Kurt Dickson
January 22nd, 2008, 01:46 PM
I did the one hour of pain today. Ouch! I am the seventh child and this was my 7th one hour. It is my humble opinion that there are only two ways for men to get a "taste" of childbirth: kidney stones and the one hour postal swim. Thanks mom!:wine: (don't worry mom; it's only sparkling cider).

SwimStud
January 22nd, 2008, 01:52 PM
I did the one hour of pain today. Ouch! I am the seventh child and this was my 7th one hour. It is my humble opinion that there are only two ways for men to get a "taste" of childbirth: kidney stones and the one hour postal swim. Thanks mom!:wine: (don't worry mom; it's only sparkling cider).

can we add severe back spasm to the "tasting" menu please...
oddly I had a spasm the week prior to both of my kid's being born...it's kind of comincal trying to help when you're a walking pretzel...kudos on the hour though!

Kurt Dickson
January 22nd, 2008, 02:00 PM
Yes my bad...I almost forgot about crawling around on all fours, pissing in a jar. Thanks for the reminder.:doh:

knelson
January 22nd, 2008, 05:06 PM
Federal Way Masters is providing an hour this weekend at the King County Aquatic Center pool (same pool as last year's SC Nats) to do the postal swim. I just found out, however, that the pool will be setup long course! That is going to be a serious shock to the system. I haven't swum long course since Labor Day. Oh well, an hour straight swim is an hour straight swim, I guess.

quicksilver
January 22nd, 2008, 06:02 PM

Man oh man...are you going hear otherwise from the ladies.
How about a 20 hour postal swim for starters.:sad:

Take cover Kurt while you can.
The onslaught is on the way.:)

Kurt Dickson
January 22nd, 2008, 06:03 PM
One year I did this short course meters. Obviously with long course you lose even more on turns than short course meters. My legs are so crying by the end (even with dragging them) that I'm not sure whether the turns are an advantage or not by the end.

Kurt Dickson
January 22nd, 2008, 06:08 PM
Man oh man...are you going hear otherwise from the ladies.
How about a 20 hour postal swim for starters.:sad:

Take cover Kurt while you can.
The onslaught is on the way.:)

That's why I said "taste."

knelson
January 22nd, 2008, 06:11 PM
My legs are so crying by the end (even with dragging them) that I'm not sure whether the turns are an advantage or not by the end.

I hear ya. I'm actually thinking it might not be bad. I never have problems with a 5K open water and there are NO turns in that, but the one hour postal kills me!

Here's the thing, though. To go 5,000 yards you need to hold a 1:12 pace per 100 yards. To go 4,572 meters (conversion from yds) you need to hold just under a 1:19 pace per 100 meters. I don't know, that seems harder to me.

Kurt Dickson
January 22nd, 2008, 06:15 PM
I hear ya. I'm actually thinking it might not be bad. I never have problems with a 5K open water and there are NO turns in that, but the one hour postal kills me!

Here's the thing, though. To go 5,000 yards you need to hold a 1:12 pace per 100 yards. To go 4,572 meters (conversion from yds) you need to hold just under a 1:19 pace per 100 meters. I don't know, that seems harder to me.

I think it is definitely harder if you have not been doing meters (those first 2 weeks each summer in a long course pool feel like a lake swim).

quicksilver
January 22nd, 2008, 06:17 PM
That's why I said "taste."

Good clarification.
That should get you off the hook.

swimminlyn
January 23rd, 2008, 09:16 AM
Kurt,
I will give you the kidney stone being close to child birth. I have had both. I had my daughter natural...no drugs, no nothing and I had a 6 mm stone that I could not pass and had to have surgury. I would rather have another child than to have another kidney stone.

Congrats on your 7th 1 hour. I have not got up the courage to do that. Maybe one day.

art_z
January 23rd, 2008, 02:23 PM
I watched my wife push out my second child, and I'd say the 1 hour postal is a heck of alot easier, though an epidural would have helped around the 25 minute mark :)