View Full Version : Bacon, Cheese, and Beer Dog

CreamPuff
January 22nd, 2008, 08:38 PM
BACON, CHEESE AND BEER DOG

Ingredients:
1 hot dog
1 slice of thick-cut bacon
1 can of spray cheese
1 can beer (It doesn't matter what kind, but we recommend something dark. Corona probably isn't a good idea)
1 cup flour
Oil for frying

Instructions:
This one is a little work-intensive, so be ready to buckle down. First take the center out of the hot dog with an apple corer, if you have access to one. If not, just cut out the middle with a knife. Fill the cavity with the spray cheese and use the hot dog you removed from the middle as a cap to keep the cheese in. Wrap the bacon around the hot dog and deep-fry for two to four minutes or until bacon is cooked. Dab them dry with a paper towel (so the batter will stick). Mix the beer with the flour until it reaches a thick, but lump-free consistency. Dip the dogs in the batter, coating the dog completely, and deep-fry on high heat for two to three minutes or until brown and deadly.
NOTE: Don't fry them too long or all of the cheese will explode out into the oil. That's very bad.

Blackbeard's Peg
January 22nd, 2008, 11:52 PM
That reminds me of my friend's Heart Attaq Corn Dog recipe from college. Delicious! :banana:

CreamPuff
January 23rd, 2008, 08:28 AM
That reminds me of my friend's Heart Attaq Corn Dog recipe from college. Delicious! :banana:

Yum. How do you prepare? Deep fry the corn dog?

smontanaro
January 23rd, 2008, 09:42 AM
I thought corn dogs were always deep fried. :confused:

CreamPuff
January 23rd, 2008, 11:42 AM
I thought corn dogs were always deep fried. :confused:

Isn't it dipped in a cornbread type batter and fried? I was guessing that perhaps you dip it in another kind of batter (like a beer based flour mixture) and fry again. But who knows. . .

Last time I had one was in elementary school. I don't let my husband get them.
But now they are sounding pretty darn good.

knelson
January 23rd, 2008, 11:49 AM
I dig the new avatar, Kristina. I'm smitten!

CreamPuff
January 23rd, 2008, 12:48 PM
I dig the new avatar, Kristina. I'm smitten!

Awwww. . . thanks.

You psyched me up to rip up my meet this weekend!

No corn dog comments?

Seagurl51
January 23rd, 2008, 06:30 PM
My heart almost stopped just reading that recipie. I don't know if my ateries could handle that!! I do enjoy things cooked in beer though. Bratwurst boiled in Budweiser with onions and then grilled is super delicious. You could probably deep fry that too if you wanted. ;)

3strokes
January 23rd, 2008, 07:05 PM
BACON, CHEESE AND BEER DOG

Ingredients:
1 hot dog
1 slice of thick-cut bacon
1 can of spray cheese
1 can beer (It doesn't matter what kind, but we recommend something dark. Corona probably isn't a good idea)
1 cup flour
Oil for frying

I believe the real -original and (s/he[manly]) macho- recipe calls for two (or more), not just one, can-s- of beer. I'll teel you Whai atfer I fisnih tihs brkeswy I am dinknirg rhigt now.
:drink::drink::drink:

CreamPuff
January 24th, 2008, 08:33 AM
My heart almost stopped just reading that recipie. I don't know if my ateries could handle that!! I do enjoy things cooked in beer though. Bratwurst boiled in Budweiser with onions and then grilled is super delicious. You could probably deep fry that too if you wanted. ;)

My husband would LOVE that! Thanks!

CreamPuff
January 24th, 2008, 08:33 AM
I believe the real -original and (s/he[manly]) macho- recipe calls for two (or more), not just one, can-s- of beer. I'll teel you Whai atfer I fisnih tihs brkeswy I am dinknirg rhigt now.
:drink::drink::drink:

I see it's been a few beers for you already. :D

swimmieAvsFan
January 24th, 2008, 08:36 AM

NOOOOOOOOO! don't do anything to it other than grill it after it's been boiled. you'll ruin an amazing brat if you do that! :D

and if you are going to do it that way, make sure you use a cheaper beer (Bud is a good choice)- they actually taste better with low end beer. i had a neighbor from detroit and that's they only way they make brats out there...

meldyck
January 24th, 2008, 12:34 PM
Kristina,

since you live in Atlanta and have posted this recipe I presume you are also into Luther Burgers, Ham Dogs and other unique items from the Stroke Belt.

My favorite is re-fried hush puppies...

shark
January 24th, 2008, 01:47 PM
i had a neighbor from detroit and that's they only way they make brats out there...

Are you sure they didn't use Stroh's? I personally like my brats boiled in Sam Adams. Gotta have dark mustard and 'kraut piled high.

swimmieAvsFan
January 24th, 2008, 02:13 PM
Are you sure they didn't use Stroh's? I personally like my brats boiled in Sam Adams. Gotta have dark mustard and 'kraut piled high.

either Stroh's or Bud. (Bud was much easier to find in PA.)
I've tried Sam's, but i think the cheap beers are better...
and i'll definitely agree with the mustard and 'kraut!
:D

Iwannafly
January 24th, 2008, 02:15 PM
I'll have to agree with Seagurl in that my heart slowed a bit just thinking about the 'Bacon, Cheese, and Beer Dog' although bacon and spray cheese do make things better. I can't stand peas, but put them together with bacon and spray cheese and you might convince me to eat them.

poolraat
January 24th, 2008, 04:28 PM

I'll agree that you need the mustard and 'krout but in my case it's to hide the taste of the brat. Now if you want a real treat, try a Basque chorizo.

CreamPuff
January 24th, 2008, 05:27 PM
Kristina,

since you live in Atlanta and have posted this recipe I presume you are also into Luther Burgers, Ham Dogs and other unique items from the Stroke Belt.

My favorite is re-fried hush puppies...

Re-fried hush puppies - are they cold and old and then you just refry them or batter them again and then refry? Sounds rather good actually.

I've NEVER heard of Luther Burgers and Ham Dogs. Just Spamburgers.
And Chocodiles (twinkies dipped in chocolate). There's also a fried version of the twinkie. You take a twinkie, deep fry it and eat it.

And finally, there's the deep fried turkey -
* One 12-15 pound turkey
* 1-1/2 to 2 gallons peanut oil, or other oil with a high smoking point
* 4 ounces of your own favorite liquid seasoning or marinade for injection (there is no standard for this ... everybody does his or her own, as it turns out. You can buy some ready made from the Cajun Injector folks.)
* 2 cups water
* Creole seasoning, Paul Prudhomme's Poultry Magic, or Tony Chachere's Creole Seasoning to taste
* Kosher salt

meldyck
January 24th, 2008, 05:59 PM
Kristina,

for your enlightenment here's the Luther Burger:

http://www.snopes.com/food/origins/luther.asp

and here's the Ham Dog:

http://supersizedmeals.com/food/article.php/20060219191255402

As for the re-fried hushpuppies you gotta use all leftovers. Take at least day-old HPs, cut them in half and scoop out the soft interior. Then fill with whatever meat dish you have left over in the fridge: BBQ brisket, p'ok chile, smoked ribs, blackened ribeye etc etc. minced, of course. With some kinds of meat, grated cheese is a good addition as well.

Close up the little puppy, re-batter and CAREFULLY refry (don't want the little bugger falling apart and spilling its guts). Toothpicks work here also. Don't drain the fat and serve warm with a side of mustard greens that have been cooked at least 6 hours.

Let me know how you like them!

CreamPuff
January 24th, 2008, 07:29 PM
Woa! I don't know what to say. I'm right near Decatur and have never heard of the Ham Dog (where it originated.) Does NOT sound appealing to me though. :doh:

Never would have guessed on the puppies. That sounds rather good.
Thanks!

Here's the fried twinkie recipe for anyone who is interested:

http://www.wchstv.com/gmarecipes/deepfriedtwinkies.shtml

Kristina,

for your enlightenment here's the Luther Burger:

http://www.snopes.com/food/origins/luther.asp

and here's the Ham Dog:

http://supersizedmeals.com/food/article.php/20060219191255402

As for the re-fried hushpuppies you gotta use all leftovers. Take at least day-old HPs, cut them in half and scoop out the soft interior. Then fill with whatever meat dish you have left over in the fridge: BBQ brisket, p'ok chile, smoked ribs, blackened ribeye etc etc. minced, of course. With some kinds of meat, grated cheese is a good addition as well.

Close up the little puppy, re-batter and CAREFULLY refry (don't want the little bugger falling apart and spilling its guts). Toothpicks work here also. Don't drain the fat and serve warm with a side of mustard greens that have been cooked at least 6 hours.

Let me know how you like them!

3strokes
January 25th, 2008, 05:44 AM
I see it's been a few beers for you already. :D

Hey! Don't blame me. I can resist anything except temptation. You used only one can for your recipe and it would have been a crime to let those other beers go to waste!..... to waist!....

shark
January 25th, 2008, 07:44 AM
Basque chorizo.

???

'gezundheit!

poolraat
January 25th, 2008, 10:27 AM
???

'gezundheit!

Not even slightly German. Closer to Spain.