PDA

View Full Version : Do I wear this for the first time @ a meet?

CreamPuff
January 23rd, 2008, 05:53 PM
I usually wear drag suits at meets. On a couple of occasions I've worn the Speedo Fastskin II suit (not the full body) or knee skin.

Here's the deal. I've got an old version (but new as it's not been worn yet) of the Speedo BodySkin
http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Womens-SPEEDO-FASTSKIN-RECORDBREAKER-BODYSKIN-S_W0QQitemZ170186384753QQihZ007QQcategoryZ137008QQ rdZ1QQssPageNameZWD4VQQcmdZViewItem?_trksid=p1638. m124

It's been sitting in my closet for at least 3 years now. I haven't worn it b/c it's
1. Pain to put on, take off, go the bathroom
2. Looks awful (not worse than the kneeskin I guess)
3. Seems as if it would make me hot in the water in my distance free events - does it?!
4. Not sure it will work as it's so old (doesn't something happen to the material over time even if not used.)
5. Concerned on the dive that something may pop out as it appears to
be cut very close in the chest area - I "think" it's for women but it could
be for men as the tag is off. . . Arg. Would it really matter if I swam with a guy's suit anyway?
6. Oh and this is really stupid, but nothing is worn under it, right? I swear I've seen people with their suits on under it!

So should I just bite the bullet and try it for my 1000 free this weekend?
I'm too lazy to try out in practice like Ande. Seems like such a pain.

Thanks for any advice.

Yeah. I know this topic has been discussed ad nauseam in other threads.
But those are my concerns.

SwimStud
January 23rd, 2008, 06:09 PM
Go for it...it's just sitting there right?
Nothing will pop out...if by chance it does it will make for a great anecdote to tell at dinner parties...so what's the harm?

Kurt Dickson
January 23rd, 2008, 06:19 PM
I usually wear drag suits at meets. On a couple of occasions I've worn the Speedo Fastskin II suit (not the full body) or knee skin.

Here's the deal. I've got an old version (but new as it's not been worn yet) of the Speedo BodySkin
http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Womens-SPEEDO-FASTSKIN-RECORDBREAKER-BODYSKIN-S_W0QQitemZ170186384753QQihZ007QQcategoryZ137008QQ rdZ1QQssPageNameZWD4VQQcmdZViewItem?_trksid=p1638. m124

It's been sitting in my closet for at least 3 years now. I haven't worn it b/c it's
3. Seems as if it would make me hot in the water in my distance free events - does it?!
4. Not sure it will work as it's so old (doesn't something happen to the material over time even if not used.)
be for men as the tag is off. . . Arg. Would it really matter if I swam with a guy's suit anyway?
6. Oh and this is really stupid, but nothing is worn under it, right? I swear I've seen people with their suits on under it!

Thanks for any advice.

1.yes pain--you may need a special taper to get on/off
2. no--looks good.
3. no--shouldn't make you hot (unless the water is significantly over 80deg)
4.maybe--you'll know if there is something wrong once you get it on at which time present immediately to your local ER to have it removed with special trauma shears (kidding).
5. don't think so--but where nothing is risked, nothing gained.
6. absolutely nothing under except your birthday suit.

In summary, I say rock that thing.

CreamPuff
January 23rd, 2008, 09:24 PM
Wear it.
Got it.
Thanx.

The Fortress
January 23rd, 2008, 09:29 PM
Kristina, I have the same suit. Got it for $60. I wore it for the first time in a meet. I think it's better for sprinting than the distance events. (In fact, some of my fastest races have been in this suit.) I can't imagine getting hot in it. (My daughter wore it for kicks in a 500 free recently. No complaints.)

CreamPuff
January 23rd, 2008, 09:40 PM
Kristina, I have the same suit. Got it for $60. I wore it for the first time in a meet. I think it's better for sprinting than the distance events. (In fact, some of my fastest races have been in this suit.) I can't imagine getting hot in it. (My daughter wore it for kicks in a 500 free recently. No complaints.)

We must have the same *dealer.* I got mine for $50. I think that's why I'm skeptical. Used to paying $180+ for the newer ones direct from Speedo.

Thanks though. My 1000 will be for kicks. So. . .

Why do you think it's better for sprinting?

CreamPuff
January 23rd, 2008, 09:41 PM
Go for it...it's just sitting there right?
Nothing will pop out...if by chance it does it will make for a great anecdote to tell at dinner parties...so what's the harm?

Stud, you will be the first person I think of if anything goes, uh, wrong. And the last one I tell! :D

The Fortress
January 23rd, 2008, 11:07 PM
We must have the same *dealer.* I got mine for $50. I think that's why I'm skeptical. Used to paying $180+ for the newer ones direct from Speedo.

Thanks though. My 1000 will be for kicks. So. . .

Why do you think it's better for sprinting?

Well, I'd buy more if there were any. Last time I checked, I couldn't find any on the net.

Not sure about the sprinting. My best 50 frees have been in that suit, even though it's a little big. 100s not as good. Maybe it's the high neck that helps in the 50s? For non-50s, I like the Pro, which is much lighter. More float with the Pro; whereas the main aspects of the FS I are water repellancy and compression. But I've swum 50s in both and had the same time. So for $50-60, seems like a great deal. But in any event, any FS is faster than skin IMO.

ande
January 24th, 2008, 06:25 AM
snag it
swoop it

SwimStud
January 24th, 2008, 07:58 AM
Stud, you will be the first person I think of if anything goes, uh, wrong. And the last one I tell! :D

Oddly enough, I always think of you when something pops out...

:lmao:

Hahaha sorry folks but that was a lay-up...

CreamPuff
January 24th, 2008, 08:31 AM
Well, I'd buy more if there were any. Last time I checked, I couldn't find any on the net.

Not sure about the sprinting. My best 50 frees have been in that suit, even though it's a little big. 100s not as good. Maybe it's the high neck that helps in the 50s? For non-50s, I like the Pro, which is much lighter. More float with the Pro; whereas the main aspects of the FS I are water repellancy and compression. But I've swum 50s in both and had the same time. So for $50-60, seems like a great deal. But in any event, any FS is faster than skin IMO.

Very helpful. I think you've convinced me to splurge in the future and try the Pro. And - I'll try my $50 suit. It's either that or my speedo endurance pink camo poly!

No brainer I guess.

Interesting how you feel a difference in the 50 vs. 100s. Saturday I've got the 1000 fr, 100 fly, and one of the following to be determined depending on what I feel like (50 FR/ 200 FR/ or 400 IM). Will let you know where I felt the suit was most helpful. I may want to try it on the 400 IM for a lark. I heard breast can be really screwy with the full suit. Could do some warm up/ down laps w/ it on and figure it out. Kaitlin Sandeno seems to swim just fine with it!

Ande, I'm actually considering trying this getup on in practice tomorrow. I've read so many times on your blog how you change into the fastskin jammers. It does seem like the prudent thing to do. I don't think I'll do anything for time though. . . If I don't hit a fast time in practice, I don't want to be disappointed. Will just go on feel of the water.

Stud, you are going to get in Truhb-uhl from the moderators! :thhbbb:

ande
January 24th, 2008, 01:11 PM
when you get it
you should wear it a few times in practice to get used to it,
it also might be hard to get on,
it was ridiculous the first time I slipped in my FS pro

you wrote about
"something may pop out as it appears to be cut very close in the chest area - I "think" it's for women but it could"
let us know how that goes
reminds me of the 1984 olympics a UT diver from sweden was competing on 10 meter
(this particular diver left UT for a while to model for the Ford agency in NY)
the TV network was showing above and underwater shots
it was live, on one dive, her top came down giving viewers a view to remember from the underwater cam
unfortunately DVRs and youtube didn't exist at the time

should you wear anything under it?
you'll go much faster if you wore a neoprene triathlete wetsuit under your fast skin but don't get caught
http://www.amazon.com/Glove-Triathlon-5-3mm-Triad-Wetsuit/dp/B000GGAR92/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1201198100&sr=1-1
Forts friend wore one at her SCM championships

Thanks for any advice.

cowsvils
January 24th, 2008, 01:49 PM
There is actually a legal neoprene wetsuit, i'm not sure about the science behind it, but it was approved by FINA just a couple of days ago, nor am I sure about if it helps your buoyancy at all.
http://scaq.blogspot.com/2008/01/chloroprene-swimsuit-from-blueseventy.html

I've heard that there are some problems with older fastskins over distance, have never tried one out though, so I can't say if thye are true or false.

The Fortress
January 24th, 2008, 03:54 PM
There is actually a legal neoprene wetsuit, i'm not sure about the science behind it, but it was approved by FINA just a couple of days ago, nor am I sure about if it helps your buoyancy at all.
http://scaq.blogspot.com/2008/01/chloroprene-swimsuit-from-blueseventy.html

I've heard that there are some problems with older fastskins over distance, have never tried one out though, so I can't say if thye are true or false.

Ha, ha. Not my friend, ande. Just a competitor. I don't like cheaters.

If FINA has approved it, does that mean it's legal in USMS?

CreamPuff
January 24th, 2008, 05:20 PM
html[/URL]

I thought I heard this too! But I don't know what exactly the issue may be. They stopped making them for some reason. . . better technology or whatever. Guess I can let you all know next week. . . :D

Ande, don't go giving my husband ideas about video taping me. Hey, at least I don't swim backstroke (only in the IM and I'll know if it works by then!) Eh, what the heck. I need some feedback on my 100 fly anyway.

knelson
January 24th, 2008, 05:45 PM
I thought I heard this too! But I don't know what exactly the issue may be.

At some point the suit is going to start absorbing water. At this point it becomes a nice big hunk of soggy fabric that you have to pull through the water. I think that's the major issue.

cowsvils
January 24th, 2008, 05:47 PM
I think the suit was not naturally light like the pro is, it may even be heavier than regular fabrics. It doesn't come into play during the short races because it is water repellent, but once that wears off the fabric gets wet and heavy on the legs. Just a theory though, never tested it out.

Kirk, I think that people have complained that they are heavier than just a regular lycra suit, although that may just be relative to the lightness they were experiencing.

CreamPuff
January 24th, 2008, 07:36 PM
At some point the suit is going to start absorbing water. At this point it becomes a nice big hunk of soggy fabric that you have to pull through the water. I think that's the major issue.

Kirk and Cowsvils, that makes so much sense. I'm holding this get up in my hand and thinking how much material there is (and it ain't that light!) :doh: There seems as if there's lots of time over the course of 40 laps to get it nice and soggy. :rant3:

rtodd
January 24th, 2008, 08:27 PM
I wore a bodyskin for the one hour because I didn't have speedo briefs and I have to pull up my jammers every so often. I figured what the heck. It is hard to say, but I think it did get heavy (it is heavy when dry). Will reserve it for 200 and under. Since then I bought briefs.

blainesapprentice
January 24th, 2008, 10:50 PM
Has anyone heard of nsa swim suits?

I just bid on a suit on ebay-without really thinking about the brand or anything, I just wanted an extra kneeskin suit just in case I hate the bodyskin when I get it.

CreamPuff
January 25th, 2008, 08:08 AM
Wore the suit at practice this AM. Glad I did.
It does work. More buoyant for sure.
Did a dive off the block. Could swim all 4 strokes fine in it (including breaststroke which will be good for my IM).
I felt it getting "heavy" after about 1400 yds. So I think I'll be fine in the 1000 with it.

I don't like how it cuts into my neck/ shoulder area. Flip turns felt funny.
But was posting fast times for me. So overall, I think it's a good deal for $50.

It really sucks in the fat b/c when I put on my ski pants over it, they were really loose.

And for cryin' out loud. The first thing my husband said is that I looked like Tron (my suit is blue). According to Wiki, "Tron has a distinctive visual style." And happens to be a 30 year old male. :rant3:
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=85168796 :doh::doh:

CreamPuff
January 25th, 2008, 09:46 AM
Has anyone heard of nsa swim suits?

I just bid on a suit on ebay-without really thinking about the brand or anything, I just wanted an extra kneeskin suit just in case I hate the bodyskin when I get it.

Morgan, I think you'll really like the bodyskin. I was surprised when I found that I liked mine (and even for breaststroke.) Sorry, don't know anything about the one you posted. But it looks good.

knelson
January 25th, 2008, 11:26 AM
The full-body suits do have a tendency to make people look slightly androgynous, but presumably you're wearing it for the speed and not for fashion :)

Anyway, they look a heck of a lot better than the knee length suits for women. Those are not flattering at all.