PDA

View Full Version : should i go to the meet?

swimchickee
January 23rd, 2008, 09:05 PM
I have a meet this weekend on Sat/Sun.
I'm really not sure if I'm prepared for it. I was out for two weeks, and then went to practice for one week, was out for another week, and now have practice for only two days. I'm not in my best shape, so should I attend this meet?

rtodd
January 23rd, 2008, 09:08 PM
Of course.

mermaid
January 23rd, 2008, 09:09 PM
are you injured? recovering? just too busy to swim? what events are you signed up for? is this your first masters meet?

swimchickee
January 23rd, 2008, 09:22 PM
I was injured for about two weeks [my tailbone]
and then for the other week I was out of the water, there were just so many personal things going on.

pwolf66
January 23rd, 2008, 09:37 PM
Unless you risk injury, I would go. Heck, it's Masters. It's supposed to be about fun (and drinking) and fitness (and drinking) and meeting new people (and drinking). Hmmm. I seem to have a drinking problem.

Paul

Donna
January 23rd, 2008, 09:39 PM
I would go an just have fun. Do the best you can for this day and don't worry about if they are great times or not. Make new friends, enjoy yourself and have a good time enjoying the sport we all love. Cheer on your fellow competitors and you will find you will have a wonderful meet and make many new friends!

poolraat
January 23rd, 2008, 11:49 PM
Unless you risk injury, I would go. Heck, it's Masters. It's supposed to be about fun (and drinking) and fitness (and drinking) and meeting new people (and drinking). Hmmm. I seem to have a drinking problem.

Paul

I think I see where the problem lies. The (and drinking) key on your keyboard is stuck and keeps randomly inserting into your posts.
We're going to have a blast in Austin. :banana: :drink: :banana: :drink: :banana: :drink:.

CreamPuff
January 24th, 2008, 08:42 AM
I agree with Paul and Donna. Give it a go as long as your doc okays it.

I've got a similar situation. You're not by chance talking about the meet in Charlotte, NC this weekend? That's the one I'm attending.

I took something that I had a very bad reaction too and it seriously screwed me up for the past 10 days and counting. I'm still not feeling near 100% - maybe around 65 to 70%. I just figure I'll learn something by swimming when not at my best (which unfortunately is often the case for me in masters due to crazy things that come up). And I always have a great time at the meets. If nothing else I get to see some amazing races and meet some fun people. Often, I'll have at least 1 good swim.

Blackbeard's Peg
January 24th, 2008, 12:55 PM
Go for it - you're well rested!!! ;)

sftom
January 24th, 2008, 01:53 PM
No, you should not.

Blackbeard's Peg
January 24th, 2008, 03:30 PM
No, you should not.
Looks like you're the first NAY vote... you have some reasons/experiences why you feel this way?

quicksilver
January 24th, 2008, 04:58 PM
I have a meet this weekend on Sat/Sun.
I'm really not sure if I'm prepared for it. I was out for two weeks, and then went to practice for one week, was out for another week, and now have practice for only two days. I'm not in my best shape, so should I attend this meet?

Sounds like my kid's practice schedule.
Long story short... she went to her meet and did as well as her previous one (when she was hard at work).

Next year, there's no faking it....meaning that the events are all 100's rather than 50's.
That's when the shortage of training might be more obvious.

aquaFeisty
January 24th, 2008, 05:55 PM
What is your purpose for attending meets?

Is every meet a life or death situation and you will be really bummed out if you don't swim fast? Then don't go.

However, you should go if:
1. You have a focus meet for later in the season (like Zones, State, or Nationals). In-season local meets are great to gear up for big meets and get some practice with starts and at-speed turns.
2. You will have fun with friends at the meet.
3. You will have fun, period, at the meet.
4. You can find something positive with your swims, even if your times aren't great. It's rare I have a meet that is a total bust, though I might have to streeeetch for the good. Maybe you nail your turns, do your breathing pattern correctly, have a great start or lead-off split, whatever.

Good luck!

CreamPuff
January 24th, 2008, 07:32 PM
Thanks Carrie. You convinced me to go to mine even though I feel like a dead fish. :cry: Will focus on your point number 2 if nothing else. And point 1 as well.

What is your purpose for attending meets?

Is every meet a life or death situation and you will be really bummed out if you don't swim fast? Then don't go.

However, you should go if:
1. You have a focus meet for later in the season (like Zones, State, or Nationals). In-season local meets are great to gear up for big meets and get some practice with starts and at-speed turns.
2. You will have fun with friends at the meet.
3. You will have fun, period, at the meet.
4. You can find something positive with your swims, even if your times aren't great. It's rare I have a meet that is a total bust, though I might have to streeeetch for the good. Maybe you nail your turns, do your breathing pattern correctly, have a great start or lead-off split, whatever.

Good luck!

swimchickee
January 25th, 2008, 05:35 PM
actually, this IS zones :/

jmeyer
January 25th, 2008, 06:21 PM
You should go. It's just Masters and nobody cares if you're not at your best. You're a winner by just showing up!

talne621
January 26th, 2008, 12:19 PM
You should go. Have fun and enjoy it. You might not get your best times but enjoy it. Maybe swim something new. I know how you feel. I was training really hard over winter break then i got injured. I was out for 2 weeks. I am going back tomorrow then next week i am going to be out again for 2 weeks and I have a meet 4 days after that. I am going to go swim, see what I can do, and make some friends.

swimchickee
January 26th, 2008, 05:40 PM
THanks guys.
I decided to go the meet, BUT then I got sick over night!!!!! again.
So I haven't gone after all... ha-ha.

Donna
January 26th, 2008, 06:00 PM
This time of year I just live on the Claritin, Zicam and Strepsil's(European stuff that works!) Get's me through the cold and flu season every time.

aquaFeisty
January 28th, 2008, 01:13 PM
swimchickee, I'm sorry to hear you got sick again before your meet! that sucks... also can't believe you have such an early Zone meet. hopefully, you will get to another meet (if you want) later on in the season. good luck to you.

(S)he-man, glad my comments were helpful and that you went to your meet. If this is the meet you've been writing about recently, HOLY CRAP!!! sounds like you did pretty dang well! congrats! :)