PDA

View Full Version : Masters workouts near Mesa, AZ

knelson
January 29th, 2008, 11:32 AM
I'll be in Mesa for work Feb 11-13 and would like to get in a workout or two while I'm there. Right now I'm looking at Sun Devil Masters at ASU. Any other options I should be looking at?

aquageek
January 29th, 2008, 11:35 AM
I've taken a few dips at the Scottsdale Y while visiting family there. I suggest avoiding it at all costs.

aztimm
January 29th, 2008, 11:48 AM
Sun Devil Masters (where I swim) has one of the most comprehensible schedules, any updates will be on our website: www.sundevilmasters.org

Along with that, I've worked out with a (very) small group near my home in Chandler a few times, at the (original) Chandler High School (on Arizona Ave just north of Chandler Blvd). The pool was completely rebuilt about 2 years ago, and is one of the best pools I've swam in. Info on this team was difficult to find; shoot me a pm if interested, and I'll dig through my email.

There used to be a small team at the Mesa Y, not sure if they are still there. The pool isn't the best, but it may be convenient (it is on Center just north of Main St), close to downtown Mesa.

Of course if you want to venture into Phoenix, Brophy Masters has a similar sized team as Sun Devil Masters, with a pretty good schedule, and good facilities also. It really isn't that far, but may seem like it if you're going with all the traffic.

Where in Mesa are you staying? It isn't the largest city in the world, but is about 15 miles across, so I could try to find something more convenient.

I swim with Sun Devil Masters almost every morning (6am), exept when I'm out of town. Unfortunately, that week it looks like I'll just be there on Mon Feb 11 and Wed Feb 13 (if even those).

knelson
January 29th, 2008, 11:57 AM
Where in Mesa are you staying?

The Arizona Golf Resort at Power and Broadway. I'll be working at the Boeing facility at Mcdowell and Higley. I'll have a car so it seems like ASU should be within shooting distance. Whether I can go to the morning or evening workout will depend on my work schedule.

aztimm
January 29th, 2008, 02:33 PM
The Arizona Golf Resort at Power and Broadway. I'll be working at the Boeing facility at Mcdowell and Higley. I'll have a car so it seems like ASU should be within shooting distance. Whether I can go to the morning or evening workout will depend on my work schedule.

That's a bit of a hike to ASU, about 30 min, depending on traffic. Let me know if/when you decide to go, and I'll try to be there.

Paul Smith
January 29th, 2008, 03:06 PM
I haven't train with these guys but you may want to chck these guys out:

http://clubswim.com/swim-teams-detail.asp?clubid=6049

aztimm
January 29th, 2008, 03:47 PM
I haven't train with these guys but you may want to chck these guys out:

http://clubswim.com/swim-teams-detail.asp?clubid=6049

Hey Paul--

That's the same group that runs the workouts at the Chandler HS. Not sure how things are with their Mesa Group though (Coach Bryan is a really nice guy, gave great workouts). And I felt guilty, like I was cheating on Sun Devil Masters...

knelson
January 30th, 2008, 12:35 AM
Thanks for the info. I still think I'll try to get to ASU, but it's good to know the other options.