PDA

View Full Version : Staying motivated in bad weather

Seagurl51
January 29th, 2008, 07:29 PM
We've been having pretty much the worst winter in quite a few years. Everytime the snow melts and driving becomes bearable again, it snows another 9 inches.

How do you keep up the motivation when the driving is on the dangerous side and pretty much every morning you have to dig out your car from another foot of snow? I'm having a really hard going in the AM, and I can't do the PM because I have work.

SwimStud
January 29th, 2008, 07:39 PM
We've been having pretty much the worst winter in quite a few years. Everytime the snow melts and driving becomes bearable again, it snows another 9 inches.

How do you keep up the motivation when the driving is on the dangerous side and pretty much every morning you have to dig out your car from another foot of snow? I'm having a really hard going in the AM, and I can't do the PM because I have work.

Digging out is tough...and yeah it adds to the stress. I'd just get up dig out and head over late...consider the dig part of the workout. Don't get up earlier to dig out. At least that's my view... others may not agree.

smontanaro
January 29th, 2008, 07:43 PM
I walk: Skip's agonizing route to the pool (http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&hl=en&geocode=&saddr=1117+Grant+Street,+Evanston,+IL&daddr=42.06035,-87.683558+to:Lincoln+and+North+Campus+Drive,+Evans ton,+IL&mra=dpe&mrcr=0&mrsp=1&sz=15&via=1&sll=42.060635,-87.680575&sspn=0.016855,0.024805&ie=UTF8&ll=42.061465,-87.680554&spn=0.016855,0.024805&z=15&om=0). You could try moving closer so you don't have to drive... :D

Skip

Ripple
January 29th, 2008, 09:21 PM
I live within walking distance of a pool, but with the temperature at -34C and wind chill of -42C, wimping out and driving seems more prudent. I like my ears and want to keep them firmly attached to my head!
Motivation comes when I get there and come close to having a lane to myself because so many people have stayed home.

swim53
January 29th, 2008, 10:04 PM
shut your eyes....bare down and just do it.

The Midwest, East and Central states in the usa have poor winters too. I'm going south or west as soon as I retire!:fish2:

jaegermeister
January 29th, 2008, 10:26 PM
The weather sucks here, too. I'm sorry to say that one solution is to get a garage; not likely something you can do mid-winter.

I actually hate the darkness more than the snow and cold. I'm told we've gained 51 minutes of daylight since December 21st; I may be able to finally notice that its light out coming home from work. I just about broke down and bought a light box this winter.

waves101
January 30th, 2008, 08:55 AM
Just remember, the 2 hardest parts of workouts are:
1) Getting out of bed
2) Jumping into the pool
If you can get past those, the rest is a cake walk.

Glider
January 30th, 2008, 03:27 PM
Not always...Atleast on Monday I got in 1500 yards, before getting out early. :notworking:

Yesterday, I made it out of bed AND all the way to the pool, before bagging my workout and just taking a shower.:sad:

Today, well...I didn't even get out of bed. :doh:

And the weather has been fairly nice...I am so not motivated right now.

Just remember, the 2 hardest parts of workouts are:
1) Getting out of bed
2) Jumping into the pool
If you can get past those, the rest is a cake walk.

Ripple
January 30th, 2008, 06:17 PM
shut your eyes....bare down and just do it.

The Midwest, East and Central states in the usa have poor winters too. I'm going south or west as soon as I retire!:fish2:
I hope you actually meant "bear down and do it", because I'm not baring anything in these temperatures! :mooning: :laugh2:
Glider, you may have SAD. Get a light box. Or go for a walk on your lunch hour, out-and-back in an east or west direction. That way you have sunlight entering your eyes indirectly from both sides the whole way. I've noticed I eat a lot less on days that I can get outside for some uv rays.

SwimStud
January 30th, 2008, 06:39 PM
I hope you actually meant "bear down and do it", because I'm not baring anything in these temperatures! :mooning: :laugh2:
Glider, you may have SAD. Get a light box. Or go for a walk on your lunch hour, out-and-back in an east or west direction. That way you have sunlight entering your eyes indirectly from both sides the whole way. I've noticed I eat a lot less on days that I can get outside for some uv rays.

Or you could just do what I do...press my nose agaist the office window and stare out in forlorn envy at the squirrels frolicking on the tree.
That makes me SAD.

Anyone know why squirrels swim on their backs?

3strokes
January 30th, 2008, 09:20 PM
Anyone know why squirrels swim on their backs?

To keep their nuts dry? i.e., the nuts they have gathered across the river.

3strokes
January 30th, 2008, 09:36 PM
Impossible to do (in Ottawa, anyway)

1- The second coldest capital in the world.
2- The only times I can swim mid-week is
Tue 0800-0900
Wed 0730-0900
Thu 0800-0900
I start work at 0900 (albeit some 5 minutes from the pool. Add (good thing I proof-read, I had actually written A@@) showering and getting dressed, that's another 15 minutes.

I used to do these morning swims but since my quasi-paralysis of last October (extruded disc, Oxycodon pain-killers, October in wheelchair, November two crutches, December, January one-crutch most days) I can't sleep at night without pain-killers and though I can hardly keep my eyes open past 2130, I can't fall asleep before 0100-0300. I'd have to get out of the house by 0730 to make it to the morning swim but I'm too drugged and woozy to drag my feet. Barely make it to work. So I'm just swimming weekends.

My female motivation to go swimming, only swims weekends, so there's another disincentive to go midweek.

Add my age (you can look it up) and the fact that I won't be able to retire unless I win a confortable jackpot, my only motivation is to be able to do a good time (relatively-speaking) at the 50 LCM free in February (my "Same Time Next Year", minimal clothes, rendez-vous.) My consolation: I'm a better swimer, methinks, than Alan Alda.

geochuck
January 30th, 2008, 10:58 PM
Last few days here in Vancouver area snow, ice and freezing rain - no fun. Chuckie and I were walking to the car at 6pm on Sunday to head for the pool. Chuckie said be careful George its slippery and down she went and broke her right arm. She is my swimming partner she is out for four to six weeks.

Hard to swim without my partner.

3strokes
January 31st, 2008, 12:40 PM
Chuckie said be careful George its slippery and down she went and broke her right arm.

That's a real :mooning:-er, George.
Best wishes for a fast recovery.
Now you'll have to pour your own drinks. Not for a while,
"Chuckie get me this and Chuckie get me that"
:hug: