PDA

View Full Version : Strengths and weaknesses?

The Fortress
January 29th, 2008, 08:27 PM
Ande's 90 day thread got me wondering what everyone perceives as their strengths and weaknesses en route to this swimming nirvana. From both a physical and mental perspective. I guess mine are:

Strengths:
Physical: flexibility, some natural strength
Mental: stubborn and determined, willing to try new techniques/workouts

Weaknesses:
Physical: loosey goosey joints, gimpy left shoulder
Mental: really lazy about counting strokes or swim math, intrinsic dislike of freestyle > 50 yards

Iwannafly
January 29th, 2008, 08:35 PM
Mine are similar

Strengths:
Strength, flexibility (only with twice weekly yoga)
Stubborn, determined, willingness to try new drills/techniques

Weaknesses:
Horribly inflexible ankles and inferior kick (also, coordination as evidenced by my backstroke and fly;))
Also lazy about counting strokes and sometimes lacking in mental toughness

pwolf66
January 29th, 2008, 09:36 PM
Strengths: Physical Strength, feel for the water, good shoulder flexibility

Weaknesses: Poor leg flexibility, lack of mental 'toughness', impatience

mermaid
January 29th, 2008, 11:03 PM
the mind that understands . . . the body that just won't

Allen Stark
January 30th, 2008, 12:50 AM
Strengths Physical-Very flexible ankles and knees.Good leg strength.
Mental-Always searching for new tips and techniques,excellent at psyching up for meets,sprinters mentality.
Weaknesses-Physical-bad back,shoulders and knees that are always one hard workout from injury.Sprinters mentality(I get bored swimming distance free and for me distance is anything over 200.)

james lucas
January 30th, 2008, 02:55 AM
Ever since I started swimming half-way through high school, nothing has held my interest quite like swimming. Back in November, when I told my parents about my first masterís meet, I could hear them laughing over the phone as they remembered how, a very long time ago, I once got carried away with age-group and school swimming.

Enthusiasm has helped me find the reserves to overcome my real weaknesses: I always have a so-so kick and more than once some apparently slow girl has out-kicked me in a workout (no problem: get a kickboard and get to work, and forget about the coach who says fast kickers are fast swimmers); I have never been beer-can-crusher strong (no problem: thereís an exercise program for that, and besides finesse may matter more); I lack the emotional stamina for a race in which my legs hurt for four minutes and the guy in the next lane wonít slow down and just lose (no problem: everyone knows the 500-free is just a bad idea and that reasonable people stop swimming after 200 yards); Iíve never gotten along with coaches who are authoritarians (the joke at work is that I donít like authority, even when Iím in charge Ė the great thing about masterís swimming is that I get to pick the coach, not the other way around, and if thereís a coach who doesnít like the fact that Iím stepping to the blocks with my suit untied, well Iím not forcing them to stick around and coach). Only time will tell if passion alone will be enough to overcome my newer and perhaps larger problems: I feel slow; the clock confirms that Iím slow; and Iím hard pressed to turn times today that once were easy warm-up sets. Age appears to be a problem Ė but itís also an advantage: until I packed my kids off to college this year, I simply did not have the time to swim (or get carried away, again, with swimming).

mermaid
January 30th, 2008, 08:05 AM
Welcome back to swimming james lucas! We're glad you're here!

BillS
January 30th, 2008, 01:20 PM
Strength: Pull

Weaknesses: Kick. Turns. Mental toughness. Conditioning. Time to swim. Aerobic base. Fondness for beer. Fondness for wine. Fondness for wine and beer. Two kids. Starts. Streamline. Aging body. Pacing. Kick. Stroke rate. SPL. Technique. Dryland and cross training. Distance. Sprints. Middle distance. Breathing. Breathing patterns. Splitting. Lack of independent wealth. Work schedule. Fly. Dolphin kicks. SDK. Back stroke. Long course. Short course. Open water. Breast. Swimming experience. Competition experience. Free. Stubborn. Misguided. Closed-minded. Intransigent. Frequently uncoachable. Inflexible -- physically, too. And did I mention kick yet?

CreamPuff
January 30th, 2008, 02:51 PM
Can't answer.
Competition may be reading.
:lmao:

The Fortress
January 30th, 2008, 03:29 PM
Can't answer.
Competition may be reading.
:lmao:

Wait a minute! You just told us all that your SDKs stink. :thhbbb:

Bill, that was hilarious. Thank you. Good wine and beer a weakness? How can we get in the trash talking celebratory spirit without it?

JimRude
January 30th, 2008, 04:18 PM
Strengths:
- some natural talent
- high pain tolerance
- hyper-competitive

Weaknesses:
- hyper-competitive
- inability to come to terms with effects of ageing :toohurt:
- sweet tooth

Slowswim
January 30th, 2008, 04:30 PM
*Strength: Ability to comsume massive amounts of food and Beer (fortunately I brew my own :drink:), Aerobic Fitness, Mental toughness, willingness to try new things, access to a pool, have an e-Coach, Cross Training, Pull, Lots of Toys

*Weaknesses: Flexibility, Technique, Kicking, Flip Turns, Starts, Pacing, Stroke rate, DPS, Free style, Fly, Back stroke, Breast stroke, Breathing off the walls, Swimming experience, Competition experience, no access to a live coach or team, swim alone, access to a 25y pool only

*In order of importance

pwolf66
January 30th, 2008, 05:14 PM
Weaknesses: Kick. Turns. Mental toughness. Conditioning. Time to swim. Aerobic base. Fondness for beer. Fondness for wine. Fondness for wine and beer. Two kids. Starts. Streamline. Aging body. Pacing. Kick. Stroke rate. SPL. Technique. Dryland and cross training. Distance. Sprints. Middle distance. Breathing. Breathing patterns. Splitting. Lack of independent wealth. Work schedule. Fly. Dolphin kicks. SDK. Back stroke. Long course. Short course. Open water. Breast. Swimming experience. Competition experience. Free. Stubborn. Misguided. Closed-minded. Intransigent. Frequently uncoachable. Inflexible -- physically, too. And did I mention kick yet?

So other than that, you're a fantastic swimmer?? :thhbbb::thhbbb::thhbbb:

Paul

chlorini
January 30th, 2008, 05:16 PM
Strengths: endurance, technique, love for the sport and training, willingness to swim and train all strokes and distances, coachability

Weaknesses: sprinting, strength, and the lack of a truly explosive start

CreamPuff
January 30th, 2008, 06:14 PM
Wait a minute! You just told us all that your SDKs stink. :thhbbb:

Bill, that was hilarious. Thank you. Good wine and beer a weakness? How can we get in the trash talking celebratory spirit without it?

Yeah. Well. Call me slooooow to catch on! :p

Sylvia
January 30th, 2008, 07:38 PM
How do you count your lengths or laps? Do you recommend a watch that you use to do this? I can't keep track of counting and don't want to. How many meters make a mile?

rtodd
January 30th, 2008, 08:22 PM
That would be a weakness.

Allen Stark
January 30th, 2008, 08:43 PM
Sylvia,about 1600M is a mile.As I have a sprint mentality(see above post) I never swim so far in a set that I lose count.

Ian Smith
January 30th, 2008, 09:00 PM
Strengths:
Being older than Rich Abrahams
Allergy to work (lazy)
Ability to ignore breast & backstroke
Ability to ignore the existence of anything longer than 100
Being able to burn more calories than the beer & wine intake

Weaknesses:
Having Rich Abrahams in my age group for one year
Allergy to work (lazy)
Fascination with the 50 fly
Succumbing to pressure to swim a 100
Single malt scotch

3strokes
January 31st, 2008, 12:18 PM
Strengths:
Being older than Rich Abrahams
Allergy to work (lazy)
Ability to ignore breast & backstroke
Ability to ignore the existence of anything longer than 100
Being able to burn more calories than the beer & wine intake

Weaknesses:
Having Rich Abrahams in my age group for one year
Allergy to work (lazy)
Fascination with the 50 fly
Succumbing to pressure to swim a 100
Single malt scotch

Strengths:
Being younger than Ian Smith (but that counts for nothing in this case)
A good memory of how fast I was 45 years ago
Ability to ignore Back, Breast and Fly
Ability to scratch out of anything longer than 100m (even if I did register)

Weaknesses
Having Ian Smith in my age group for the next few years
(idem for Ian's number 2)
Forget the fly
I'll register for the 100m free (LCM) which is after the 50 and then I'll take myself off the list after the 50
and my strongest weakness:
Pretty women.

There I've bared my .................................................. .................................................. .................. soul.

BabsVa
January 31st, 2008, 03:29 PM
Strengths: look like I should be able to swim fast
Weaknesses: can't

SwimStud
January 31st, 2008, 03:45 PM
Strengths:
Inward humour--I mean I'm wearing lycra panties and have shaved my body...how can I myself too seriously?
Outward humour--you should see what you look like in lyrca panties!
Spent much of childhood in swimming pool...very comfortable.
Good strength and ability to gain muscle.
Not really giving a crap about my times against anyone else.
Blessed with natural affinity for breast.
Enjoy my time in water
Willing to help others to do well
Good cheerleader--wont let you sulk,
Try to find the silver lining in a bad swim experience.
No age group HS/UNI burnout.
Self centred at workout time.

Weaknesses:
Lazy kick.
No real age group swimming.
Baileys over ice after swimming on fridays...um it's not meant to be drunk like a shake.
Injuries.
Kryptonite.
Limited techinical knowledge.
No coach.
No team.
Backstroke.
Can get easily sucked into social loafing at the wall.