PDA

View Full Version : If you swim 3 or more times a week

slknight
January 30th, 2008, 04:46 PM
1) Are you married/living with SO?
2) Do you have children living at home?
3) Do you work full-time?
4) Do you drive 20 minutes or more (each way) to the pool?

It seems like everyone I know who makes it to the pool 3 or more times a week either doesn't have kids or doesn't work full-time. I'm not sure I've found anyone who fits into all of the above categories. If you do, how the heck do you do it? :bow:

pwolf66
January 30th, 2008, 05:12 PM

It seems like everyone I know who makes it to the pool 3 or more times a week either doesn't have kids or doesn't work full-time. I'm not sure I've found anyone who fits into all of the above categories. If you do, how the heck do you do it? :bow:

1) Yes, spouse is anti-athletic
2) Yes, 9yo girl who also swims
3) Yes, 45+ per week +10-12 hour/week commute
4) No to SCM, yes to SCY

It's called getting up at 4:30am to swim during the week and swimming at 9am on either Sat or Sun.

Paul

The Fortress
January 30th, 2008, 05:15 PM
It's called getting up at 4:30am to swim during the week and swimming at 9am on either Sat or Sun.

Paul

That's called having a spouse to watch kid. :thhbbb:

There are quite a few people on my team that swim 4x a week with families and jobs, not getting up at 4:30 am.

I think it's very very hard to do all of the above ... You have to be very disciplined and make the most out of any free time. Helps to have a spouse/SO that understands the need to train.

Trichica
January 30th, 2008, 05:21 PM
I can answer your question by saying that most of the people on my masters team have kids/work full time and have SO's.

In my lane, one woman has two kids and does not work. She gets up around 4:30 to prep their breakfast and lunch and leaves a bit early to get them ready for school. Another woman just had her second child and works full time. She switched from the night session and leaves a little early to make it to work. Another woman has three kids; prof at university in NYC and just had her mom move in with her because of her mom's advanced age.

I work full time--litigation attorney. I drive from Northern Jersey to NYC for masters 3-4 times a week (about 20 mins door to door)--masters at 5:30 am during the week and 6:00 am on Saturdays. On the other days, I go to my other gym by 5:00 am (also in NYC) where I lift, run, and/or spin. I then go home; take my 4 legged babies out and get ready for the office (I have offices in NYC and NJ--so my schedule varies and make arrangements for my furry kids). I may also do a supermarket stop on the way back from practice or throw a load in before I leave.

We have practice sessions at noon and in the evening for those who want to do that inseatd or as well.

No one misses me at 5:00 am and the clients are not calling. Does work sometimes require me to miss a work out--sure--no one pays me to work out ; ) But, I am very rigid/religious about it.

My friends have made arrangements with their SO's as to work out times and the kids--one gets them while the other works out. My one gym also has baby sitting.

As someone above said, it is about getting it done at the crack of dawn for me otherwise, if I do not stick to a schedule and do it then, it will not happen. Besides, my family does nto want me around if i do not work out :D

Claudia

Donna
January 30th, 2008, 05:36 PM

1) Yes
2) Yes 2
3) Yes
4) Yes 45 minutes

I swim 11 practices a week with the kids team, 6 practices are in the morning when everyone from my household is asleep. In the evening I swim at the same time my son swims, this is something we share together since we swim on the same team.

My husband and daughter are active in theater productions during the evenings. Robert and I will go to see their productions, but they seem to have no interest in seeing Robert and I swim. So no one is usually home expect on the weekends and to sleep.

Life is busy, We like it that way and we enjoy what we do.

SwimStud
January 30th, 2008, 05:45 PM
1) Yes
2) Yes 2
3) Yes
4) Yes dead on 20

M, W, F nights at about 7 onwards where I juggle working out and battling with geriatiric noodlers, unsupervised kids and belligerent folks who always know the rules better.
Saturdays I go and swim for 45 and do sprints...my son comes at the end and then we have open swim together--he is 6.
Mrs Stud is much happier because I and happy and less grumpy due to swimming helping with bad back etc.

Donna
January 30th, 2008, 05:46 PM
Mrs Stud is much happier because I and happy and less grumpy due to swimming helping with bad back etc.

I can relate to the bad back. I have found a good dose of fly keeps my back loose and somewhat pain free.

SwimStud
January 30th, 2008, 05:55 PM
I can relate to the bad back. I have found a good dose of fly keeps my back loose and somewhat pain free.

I use my SDK's for the loosen and alignment thing. I can only take my Fly in doses of 50 yards or less...anything more (presently) might send me on a one way trip to the Hospital...

matysekj
January 30th, 2008, 05:55 PM

I swim 4x/wk and lift 2x/wk (should be 3x, but I'm too lazy)

1) Yes

2) No, not any more (they're away in college). When I did, I didn't make it to practice as regularly (3, sometimes 4 back then and hardly ever lifted)

3) Yes, and then some :)

4) Well, 15-20 minutes on average. At my prior location it was more like 25-30 minutes for half the workouts.

Chris Stevenson
January 30th, 2008, 06:09 PM

1) Yes
2) Yes (one 8yo)
3) Yes
4) Depending on which team I swim with, 15-20 min

Practice is at 5:45am, breakfast in the car on the way to work. For lifting, I get one workout in on the weekend and try to get 1-2 more on weeknights (I can walk to the club from my house and it is open until midnight).

It would be very difficult to do if I were a single parent (my wife swims or otherwise works out in the evening while I watch the kid); my hat's off to those who do.

knelson
January 30th, 2008, 06:11 PM
I swim 11 practices a week with the kids team, 6 practices are in the morning when everyone from my household is asleep.

Donna, I'm not sure whether I want to applaud or have you commited to a mental asylum! Seriously, that truly impressive.

The Fortress
January 30th, 2008, 06:25 PM

1. Yes
2. Yes, 3 (15, 13, 7)
3. No, on and off part time right now
4. 15-30

Hubby travels all the time for work, so I am a "single mother" often. If I worked full time as a lawyer, I couldn't train as much as I do or compete. I can't do morning swim, as I have 3 children at 3 different schools and a frequently absent hubby. Not everyone can get up at ungodly hours even if they were inclined to. :thhbbb:

I also have a hubby who runs 7x a week and lifts weights 4x. My workout time of choice during the week is early afternoon.

ViveBene
January 30th, 2008, 06:29 PM
1) No.
2) No.
3) Yes.
4) Public transit: more (1 hour swim = 3 hours commitment)

Just part of daily discipline, and I'm better for it!
Regards, VB

jim clemmons
January 30th, 2008, 07:09 PM

1) Yes
2) Yes - one 11 year old boy; daughter @ college
3) Full time "plus"
4) 20 flat

6 workouts/week:
6:00am weekdays for an hour, Thursdays off (that's the goal)
7:00am Saturdays for 1.5 hours
8:00am Sundays for an hour

Not much else happening during those timeframes. Gets me to work on time and on weekends I'm home early enuf to help with chores.

poolraat
January 30th, 2008, 07:16 PM

1 Yes
2 Yes -17 & 15 in high school and both on swim team
3 yes
4 about 5 min. from home same from work.

I swim 6 days weekly. I used to swim at 6:00 am before work. Lately I've been going to work before 7:00 and taking a long lunch break and swimming then. It's much nicer to swim mid-day when it's light and the temperatures are above single digits. Even though the pool is indoors and heated it seems a lot colder when it's dark out and temps are hovering around 0.

In the summer I swim in the early morning before work in the outdoor pool.

Glider
January 30th, 2008, 07:36 PM
Not to copy or anything...

1) Yes
2) Yes
3) Yes
4) No to SCY, yes to SCM

It's called getting up at 4:30am to swim during the week and swimming at 9am on either Sat or Sun (where the Y has a free 2-hour kids center.)

Thanks, Paul

mermaid
January 30th, 2008, 07:44 PM
I am a divorced single mother of three (8, 7, 6). My ex works out of the country 3 weeks/month & I don't have a nanny or granny to help.

I work part-time (<20 hours/week)

I drive approx. 10 min to work.

I work at the Y - teach swimming, lead AQX classes & run a masters program.

In additional to the thousands of pool hours I seem to have each week, I eek out 6 days of swimming for me averaging 3K yards each day.

I am an average swimmer - not too fast.

DeletedAccount
January 30th, 2008, 07:57 PM
1) No
2) No
3) No
4) 15 mins to one pool, 20 mins to the other

Swim 4X/week and lift 3X/week

JMiller
January 30th, 2008, 08:07 PM

1. Yes, and very happy. (We swim together)
2. Yes, Kelly is 11, she swims too.
3. Yes, sales are good.
4. Yes, usually, depending on the traffic.

I guess what you're asking becomes more difficult without the same swimming priorities from everyone in the family. I went through that in a previous relationship, and decided that what I have now is what I really wanted. It can be done, if everyone likes to swim.

2fish&1whale
January 30th, 2008, 08:22 PM
Lets see....
1.Yes
2.Yes (10/12)
3.part time
4.10 min

Because I need to be home to get the kids ready for school
I have not been able to join the local Masters program
for their 5:30 practices.
Maybe down the road.....:(

Allen Stark
January 30th, 2008, 08:38 PM
1)Yes and she is very supportive.
2)No,last one moved out in Nov,but I had the same schedule when they were at home.
3)Yes,I workout at noon.I can set my own hours and I like to break up the day.
4)no,10 min. each way.

aztimm
January 30th, 2008, 08:41 PM

1. Yes
2. No
3. Yes
4. Yes

I'll confess on #4 though, that my office is about 5-10 minutes from the pool, and I swim in the morning. So by swimming at 6 am, I avoid rush hour traffic, and get in a workout in the meantime. It takes right about 20 minutes with no traffic to get to the pool.

Everyone can think of some reason not to workout....it is very easy to do. When you budget your time, you simply have to schedule it in, same as you would any other appointment. I run Tues/Thurs after work (except in summer when I flip swim/run) and make a point to leave my office by 5:30, begin my run around 6pm.

I'll be in Vegas Fri morning for a biz trip, planned my hotel based on where I can swim that morning. Takes some getting used to, but as others have said, I get very irritable if I miss a workout.

funkyfish
January 30th, 2008, 11:00 PM

Yes to all the above. Two days of the week I try to rope my wife & kids into swimming so we can make it a family outing. Kids spend about an hour in the gym daycare, then get bailed out for family swim. Usually I swim in the morning before work, but this semester I've been a bit lazy.

Red60
January 31st, 2008, 12:43 AM
I swim 4 to 5 times a week between 2.5 and 3.5 k per swim.

1) Yes, not a swimmer but supportive
2) Yes, 17 and 19
3) Yes, but I can manage daily schedule pretty easily; typically swim early afternoon (less often) or end of business day (more often).
4) Less than 10 minutes from SCY and LCM

Having older kids makes a hue difference.

dorothyrde
January 31st, 2008, 05:26 AM

I am married for 25 years.
I have two children, but they are older, 19 and 14 and they live at home(for now).
I work full-time, am taking a night class, and do a lot of volunteer work.
My drive is around 20 minutes

Which is why I am up at 4am....to swim, or work out every morning.

thewookiee
January 31st, 2008, 07:38 AM
:

1) Neither married or gf

2) Nope

3) Oh yea..in fact M-F work 8-5(sometimes closer to 6 or 7). A lot of Saturday and Sundays work out of town doing clinics from 8-4:30. Then traveling home.

4) M-W-F(and Saturdays when I am home) Yes. Swim 5:40-7:15ish. T-Th-Sunday...no. Different pool is about 10 minutes

I swim at least 5x a week for an 1 1/2 to 2 hours. Try to get in 6 or 7 when possible.

aquageek
January 31st, 2008, 07:53 AM
1 - yes
2 - yes, two under 9
3 - yes, along with my wife as well
4 - about 10 minutes each way, less at 5 am when I run the red lights

I'm at the gym 7 days a week, swim 4 of those. One thing we have going for us is that I work out of my home which means no mad dash to an office. I get some grief about hogging the prime workout hours of 5-7 am. My punishment is having to do the family laundry.

smontanaro
January 31st, 2008, 08:03 AM
1. Married. Ellen is both athletic and supportive.
2. One kid, a senior, still living at home.
3. Yes.
4. No. I live about 10 minutes away (walking) from one pool, 15 from the other.

Family time does get in the way. You have to be flexible. Last night was a practice night for me, but Jake had a hockey game, so no practice. Tonight is also a practice night, but it's Jake's birthday, so I probably won't swim. I'll make it up Fri-Sun.

Skip Montanaro

art_z
January 31st, 2008, 09:32 AM

I'm married, 3 kids at home (10,7,2). Its hard, but you make it happen, either by swimming before work ,or early on weekends, or late at night. My wife doesn't work, so it makes it easier but she understands that being healthy is important, and doesn't begrudge my workouts. I try to swim between 4 and 5 times a week.

I swim at 3 pools. one is 15 min away, one is 20 minutes away, and Sunday workouts at Villanova take about 45 minutes to get to.

2fish&1whale
January 31st, 2008, 09:55 AM
Ok, I was curious how gender might factor into this survey and so far it's 17 guys vs 7 girls.
Is this just because more men swim in general and masters in particular?

MegSmath
January 31st, 2008, 10:32 AM
I swim 4 days a week, I am married, I have one child, and I work full-time. Fortunately, I work on a college campus and can walk to the pool and swim over lunch (OK, I stretch the lunch a little). On Sundays when I come in to workout, it is about a 25-30 minute drive (1-way). That same drive during the week would be more like 30-45 minutes 1-way.

The Fortress
January 31st, 2008, 10:36 AM
Ok, I was curious how gender might factor into this survey and so far it's 17 guys vs 7 girls.

More men swim in general. Past thread on this topic.

Despite our "modern" society, it's still flat out true that women do more child tending then men. (Generalization, many exceptions of course, like Geek and Stud.) Children, while occasionally quite lovely, are not usually conducive to mega-workouts especially when young.

aquageek
January 31st, 2008, 10:40 AM
More men swim in general. Past thread on this topic.

Despite our "modern" society, it's still flat out true that women do more child tending then men. (Generalization, many exceptions of course, like Geek and Stud.) Children, while occasionally quite lovely, are not usually conducive to mega-workouts.

Don't get me wrong, my wife still does the lion's share, and we employ a full time nanny at our house (M-Th). Doing the laundry is EZ compared to all my wife does.

Burger
January 31st, 2008, 10:50 AM

1) yes
2) yes, a 15 month old
3) yes
4) no

slknight
January 31st, 2008, 10:55 AM
Thanks for all the feedback thus far. I'll respond to some specific comments later (supposed to be working at the moment).

To answer my own questions:

Yes.
Yes - age 4.5
Yes.
Yes. 40-45 minutes each way.

I think my biggest problem might be the distance to the pool. It seems like most of you have a much shorter travel time. There is a Y that's closer (15-20 minutes) but that would mean swimming by myself (no masters team) and joining the Y. I might have to do that to get in a few extra practices.

I generally make 2-3 practices a week, but I'd like it to be 3-4. I just can't quite seem to get there.

ViveBene
January 31st, 2008, 10:55 AM
Sample of respondents is an Internet sample, and -- speaking not directly of swimming now -- there also seems to be an age skew in who participates on bbs overall. But I wouldn't be surprised if more men than women swam masters (and more women than men swam with their children while same were growing up). I recall exactly one man swimming when I was a child, and he had a summer house on a lake. All the moms took kids to the pond, beach, neighbor's pool, wherever. It was lowercase swimming.
"Gals," pls. I haven't been a "girl" in generations.:cheerleader:
Snowing now. Quite lovely. Think I'll go swimming!

Regards, VB

Karlene
January 31st, 2008, 10:56 AM
1) yes
2) no, they're adults and out of the house
3) yes
4) no, it's under 10 minutes to the pool

I swim 4-5 times per week, weekdays at 5:30 a.m. (3,500-4,000 yds.) and Sat. at 9:00 a.m. (a bit longer workout). No team, train on my own.

JimRude
January 31st, 2008, 12:25 PM

1) Yes, and she has also started swimming again (she was much better than I as a young'un, albeit unrealized potential)
2) Yes, ages 7, 5 and 3
3) Yes, at least 50 hours per week
4) I drive 20 mins to work, and the pool is another 5-10 minutes from the office

We do it like this: wife swims/yoga/pilates from 6-7a M-F, and sometimes fits in a workout on the weekend. I swim during the lunch hour 4-5x per week, and then at 6:30a on the weekend.

It can be done. In our case, the sacrifice is going to bed at +/- 10:00p every night. I haven't seen Letterman since college (and even then, with 5:15a workouts, it was a rare treat).

TheGoodSmith
January 31st, 2008, 12:34 PM
SLknight,

Your thread brings out an important aspect of masters swimming. Variability in training. Unlike "real" swimming (i.e. USA Swimming), Masters swimming demonstratess an extreme variation in race preparation.

Does it really mean anything when someone of comparable talent who swims 5-6 days a week for an hour or hour and a half beats someone doing less than 10,000 yds. a week? Of course not...... so..... we swim for ourselves.

After all..... it's just Masters Swimming.

John Smith

Blackbeard's Peg
January 31st, 2008, 12:47 PM

1 - no and no, but do have sig other, which keeping her happy is a full time job :kiss1:
2 - no, but am a child living at my parents' home :thhbbb:
3 - yes, ~45hr/week, some travel
4 - from work, average is about 45 min to pool; then 20 min pool to home

my input will certainly look a bit skewed, as i am probably the youngest responder by several years...

Ripple
January 31st, 2008, 01:56 PM
1. Yes.
2. No
3. Yes
4. Depends. I have a yearly city pool pass, so can swim at whichever city-owned pool suits my schedule best. The main one is within 10 minutes walking distance.

Mighty Minnow
January 31st, 2008, 02:19 PM
[QUOTE=slknight;120830]1) Are you married/living with SO?

QUOTE]
1) yes - 23 yrs
2) yes - #$%& Teenager
3) yes - commute 50 miles each way
4) pool is 3 min from house......
I swim at least 3 days a week, sometimes 4. 5:00am, house and roads are all blessedly still! Saturdays I sleep in until 6:30 and make practice for 2 hours. Sadly during the week, I only have time to swim for 60 minutes then I race thru shower and put the pedel to the metal. Husband and child get up later and fend for themselves! I try to jog and do yoga classes after work.....but not always successful at that. Teenager is at an age where parents are verboten......we have 'fly by night' conversations. If all goes as planned, she'll be off to college next year and I will have more time to work out....YAHOO!!

tulclark
February 1st, 2008, 05:33 AM

1)Married - 28years
2)Empty Nesters starting this year
3)Average 50hrs/wk
4)Very lucky - YMCA is one mile from my office. I swim over lunch.

I normally swim 3 days a week, Tuesday, Thursday, & Saturday.
:banana::banana:

Tulsa, Oklahoma

dorothyrde
February 1st, 2008, 06:38 AM
Thanks for all the feedback thus far. I'll respond to some specific comments later (supposed to be working at the moment).

To answer my own questions:

Yes.
Yes - age 4.5
Yes.
Yes. 40-45 minutes each way.

I think my biggest problem might be the distance to the pool. It seems like most of you have a much shorter travel time. There is a Y that's closer (15-20 minutes) but that would mean swimming by myself (no masters team) and joining the Y. I might have to do that to get in a few extra practices.

I generally make 2-3 practices a week, but I'd like it to be 3-4. I just can't quite seem to get there.

Susan. because of the age of your child and your driving distance, I think you are doing quite well to work-out 2-3 times a week in the pool. I know when my daughter was around 3 was when I started focusing on working out more at home. I did not swim then, did not learn until she was 7(she is almost 15 now), but I have been an avid exerciser since age 12. Over time I have accumulated a lot of fitness equipment, so much so, that my DH and I finally devoted a small room downstairs to storage for it, because it was taking over my family room!

I think when kids are young, it is the toughest time for "me" time. Hang in there, it gets better as they get older(and they can actually participate with you).

hofffam
February 1st, 2008, 04:03 PM

1) Yes - for 23 years
2) Yes - 3 of them, 2 in high school, 1 in middle school
3) Yes - unfortunately I have to
4) Yes - just over 20 mins to the pool at 6:15 a.m.

I swim M-T-Th-F from about 6:35-7:55. The pool is thankfully on my way to work so I don't add much to my commute distance. My wife gets the kids ready for school every morning. She does not work in a "job" sense right now. She doesn't like "training" types of sports so we are not competing for the early a.m. time slot.

ande
February 1st, 2008, 04:12 PM
1 yes
2 yes
3 yes
4 yes

orca1946
February 2nd, 2008, 01:49 PM
You must 1st like to swim & have a team that pushes you to be there. I do 3 swims & 3 gym workouts per week. Yes it's time consuming , but ti clears my brain!

jgale
February 3rd, 2008, 03:57 PM
1) yes
2) Until recently, yes. Now, no.
3) Yes, with a fair amount of travel
4) No, we are fortunate to have a YMCA and two municipal pools within 10 to 12 minutes of my home. We have another YMCA that is 20 minutes away but opens at 5:30 AM that I also use.

I make it a priority and use the various pools in the area based on my schedule. I get up early to get my morning swim out of the way. If that is not possible, I will swim in the evenings. It is not unusual for my workout to be my Friday evening recreation. As a member of the YMCA, I can generally find a pool to workout in while traveling. I also use the Places to Swim search function on this site to find pools. It takes a little additional planning but it is rare that I have to miss a workout while away from home.

I have been swimming for about four years and started when our son was just starting high school. Prior to swimming, running was my daily fitness routine and I approached it the same way.

It helps to view my workouts/swimming time as my recreation and play time. It can be a challenge but I try to make it work.

I also use a workout partner to keep me honest. It helps to know my friends will waiting for me at the pool in the morning.

david.margrave
February 3rd, 2008, 06:10 PM
I'm a single guy. I don't see how you married people and parents pull it off. In between being chained to a desk 40 hours a week, swimming 3x (sometimes 4x)/week and lifting 3x/week, I basically have zero free time on weekdays, and on weekends I'm pretty busy with chores that I don't have time to attend to during the week.

This is probably why a lot of my married coworkers are overweight and always seem harried.

Blackbeard's Peg
February 4th, 2008, 12:15 AM
Susan (SLKnight),

Just curious, as we approach the 50 response mark, what do you think of the responses so far?

slknight
February 4th, 2008, 11:40 AM
Susan (SLKnight),

Just curious, as we approach the 50 response mark, what do you think of the responses so far?

Interesting. I definitely commend all those who are waking up super early to get to the pool. :applaud: Honestly though, I have NO desire to do that. I swam at 4:45 am as an age-grouper and don't want to repeat that. :p

I have noticed that few people drive as far as I do to a pool. :( That's the price I pay for my small-town life in Vacationland. I used to live in a place with lots of pools though (NoVa) and have no desire to return.

The other thing I have going against me is the age of my son. He's not old enough to leave home alone while I'm at swimming and he doesn't yet swim so I can't swim at the same time he does.

I swam twice last week (5000 meters one day and 4200 yards the other). Considering my son had minor surgery on Monday and we had an ice storm on Friday (two days that I normally swim), I feel pretty lucky I even got in what I did.

I'm very fortunate in that I have a super-supportive husband despite the fact that he's in grad school and has limited time. I wasn't going to swim yesterday morning because I was feeling lazy and he basically kicked me out of the house and made me go.

Julie Roddin
February 4th, 2008, 04:31 PM
1) No
2) No
3) Yes, and lots of travel
4) Yes

I try to swim 4-5 times per week and swim at three different locations. All are at least 20 minutes. I do have a pool very close to my house that has a masters team but I don't swim there often.

Work is my main obstacle but I have gotten very comfortable swimming while I'm traveling and really enjoy the opportunity to swim with other teams!

born2fly
February 5th, 2008, 12:43 PM
1-yes, 17yrs
2-yes daughter 12, son 9
3-yes, on call 24x7 and commute one way is 75 miles
4-no-pool is 5 minutes from me :-)

I do most of my training while it does not intrude on family life. Swim m-w-f in the morning before everyone is up. On Tue/Thur I train with the USS team from 3:30-530pm. Saturday I will swim with USS team from 730-10am. In my evenings after everyone is asleep is when I do the weights/core work and run 5 miles on treadmill every other day.

greg

swimshark
February 5th, 2008, 04:00 PM

1. yes, married 12 years
2. yes, an almost 3 year old
3. I work from home, full-time mommy
4. it's about 20 min drive.

I practice 4:30-6am 2 weekdays, minimum and 7-9am on Sat all with age group team. I also am now getting in 1 workout while Matthew is in pre-school 1 day a week. The pool is really close to his school. I have the option of kid kare if I want to swim more but I use it mostly to go to spin, yoga or pilates at the same facility.

I get done at 6am, drive home by 6:30, kiss my husband good bye in the garage and he's off for his hour long drive to work. He's very supportive toward my swimming.

badnees
February 6th, 2008, 11:53 AM
swim 5X per week, most early mornings as the rest of the family wakes up and gets ready for hte day

married, 2 kids, full time job, 5 minute drive to the pool

BrianM
February 6th, 2008, 05:20 PM
Convenience is the key to my workout. I work 3 min from the pool so you know where my lunch hour is spent. My home is 5 min from pool so Sat and Sun lap swim is convenient. I realize this is not a normal situation. Most Swimmers have to travel 20 min plus. So, I do take advantage of the "Convenience". Swim Hard,best wishes for you to find convenience.

Josh Miller
February 7th, 2008, 07:30 AM

1) no
2) no children
3) yes but usually done work @ 3:00
4) I am about 5 mins from the Y

Easy schedule so it is usually pretty east to find time to swim.

Slowswim
February 14th, 2008, 04:57 PM
1. Yes
2. Yes
3. Yes
4. I swim en route to work

I'm up at 4:30am and in the pool by 5am; I cross train (usually biking) at 6am, back in the pool to cool down and at work by 8:30am.

jackparker
February 14th, 2008, 06:19 PM

1.Married 21 years
2.Ages 10 and 13 (both age-group swimmers)
3.Retail store owner - 50 hour weeks commom.
4.Our SCY pool is less than 10 mins, our SCM pool is about 20 mins or so.

I usually only have an hour available 2 days a week (2800-3600 is the hourly goal), and squeeze 90 minutes 1 day where I'll try and swim for 45min. and lift for 45 min. Saturday mornings, my daughter has to be at the pool by 7:15AM so I'll take advantage of those early hours too.

The biggest issue I have is finding time for adequate rest!

Slid
February 15th, 2008, 09:46 AM
1. Married for ages about 20 years - we lived together first, so i don't quite remember.
2. Daughters are 10 and 13 - i swim with the 13yo most Sundays.
3. Work full time (in the UK) - but currently the commute is easy - only 10 miles...
4....and the Health Club pool I swim in is 5 mins and on the way to work.

I get up at 5:30 am, drive to the Health Club, run for 30-40 mins before Club opens at 6:30 and have an hour + in the water. I can still get to work for 9 am (after a fashion).

When I had less regular working patterns, I got out of the routine of swimming at times. A reliable working routine, without out of hours commitments or (much) commuting is probably essential to regular swimming. Also I find that being quite mad helps as well : )