View RSS Feed

Swim Workouts

1. Antigeek workout

I got back in the water in Feb after a two month unintentional break, and most of my workouts have been moderate to hard aerobic, 5 or 6 days a week. Today I thought I would try something different.

Goal swim, break 1:00 in the 100M. First attempt is a straight 100, second attempt is 2x50, third attempt is 4x25s. My prediction was that I would do it on the 25s.

Lifetime lap pool was full, so spent about 10 minutes in the kiddie pool playing around with streamlines and SDK. Then all 5 lanes cleared out of the lap pool!

Warm up
    - 200 swim, 200 back, 200 kick ez
    Goal Set
    - 1x100 all out (1:03)
    -- at this point I thought I had a shot at making the goal set at the 50s.
    - 200 ez back + lots of wall rest
    - 2x50 all out (:29, :29-)
    -- 50 ez between plus tons of rest; ~2:30 between
    -- DONE
    Cool down
    - maybe 400 ez mixed back/free

Finis Swimsense: I bought a swimsense, a watch thing that keeps stroke count, lap count, splits etc. This toy should be really helpful, but it isn't accurate enough to be useful to competitive pool swimmers in my opinion. Ex: Yesterday I did an 100 IM set and my back splits was something like a 33 while my breast splits were around 23... I am a much better at back than breast. Another problem I have with the watch is that the times only resolve to 1 second, aka you split is 23, not a 22.6. In theory, this is not a big deal, but the way it has been implemented is that the splits can sum to more than the interval. The error seems to be +/- 2s, which is a huge error for fast swims in a short course pool. What irritates me the most about the watch would annoy any swimmer during a short rest set, or any swimmer wanting a time off a fast effort swim, the watch has to be manually started and stopped to record the interval. When you are trying to remember to breath, it takes a while to remember to press the button, and on short rest sets, especially near the end, having time to press the button twice might not actually exist.

The watch is accurate for recording distance, so for fitness swimmers who are interested in overall distance swam and stroke counts, it is a decent device. It just seems a little expensive for something that is limited to stroke and lap counting.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  2. 9/27 Practice - New thoughts on Lezak Plan

by , September 27th, 2010 at 12:12 PM (Random Nonsense)
    A freakin' book on the Lezak strength training plan at the end.

Didn't want to get out of bed this morning, I was tired and had a slight headache. Showed up at the pool and the water was cloudy and at that point I had enough excuses to goof off for a while and cut the workout short.

Warm up
    - 400 swim
    - 50 kick no fins on back
    - 300 pull no paddles
    - 2x100 kick with fins on back
    - 2x100 drill (right, left, catchup, fist)
    - 50 kick no fins on back
    Transition
    - 10x25 Focus on streamline and break out
    -- 6 powerful strokes off the wall, no breath, then ez
    Main Set
    - 5x50 on 1:00 (31,30,29,30,30)
    -- these need to be 27s if I am going to break 1:50 (just an aside, not the goal of this particular set)
    Cool down
    - 200 ez

Patrick thinks he can (should?) break :50 and 1:50 in the 100 and 200 free while swimming a 23 mid in the 50. I think I need to be sub 23 to break :50 and 1:50. If we are both right, I wonder if that means I should pay more attention or less attention to how he trains...

Lezak Plan: I have never been a fan of the Lezak lifting plan, but as I have been thinking more and more about rest and how it can be used to enhance training, and I have come up with why the Lezak plan is generally a good lifting plan for swimmers. This time last year, I was following a fairly traditional strength building plan, where you increase your weight every workout until you fail, drop back a little and start progressing again. This time last year was I doing 5 sets of 5 reps of back squats between 250 and 300 lbs (250 being the drop back, and 300 being the max) 3 times a week. I lifted MWF and used to dread Friday because it didn't really matter where I was in the cycle for each exercise, there would be at least one exercise that would be near max combined with the exhaustion of the lifting and swimming from the week made me want to cry. Monday's were always the easiest lifting days because the weekend usually included a full day of no exercise or at least two full days off lifting.

This year, I really have not spent much time lifting seriously. I couldn't lift in Jan-Feb because I hurt my ribs, it didn't make much sense to start in Mar then leave for Asia in April, nor start after Asia with Nationals in May. Since then, lifting has been sporadic and more core work than strength building.

As a side effect, I have had much more energy in the pool. Because of this extra energy, I have been thinking more and more about rest: be it sleep, rest built into a set, workout frequency or workout intensity.

I came to the conclusion that the Lezak plan wasn't a great strength building plan a long time ago. Too many exercises, too many reps and no serious progression of weight. The limiting factor in the Lezak plan is endurance more than strength or glycogen instead of muscle break down.

So why do people keep using it, including Lezak, and why does it seem to be effective?

Swimmers are used to endurance being the limiting factor in training, and a serious strength training program would quickly lead to over training since complete days of rest are infrequent. If you tear down the muscle, but don't allow it to heal, and keep repeating the process over training happens quick.

The Lezak plan results in minimal muscle damage, because the quantity of exercises, reps and sets requires keeping weights low so the entire workout can be completed. After years of descend and 'hold pace' sets, the Lezak plan fits right in with the standard swimmer mentality for training.

The Lezak plan is taking the long road to strength, but by doing so, swim training is only marginally impacted. Slowly gaining strength and being able to train in the water at a higher intensity is going to be more beneficial to the average swimmer when compared to gaining strength fast but not being able to train in the water at a consistently high intensity.

That concludes my theory of the day.

Updated September 27th, 2010 at 01:49 PM by qbrain

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  3. 9/15 Practice

by , September 15th, 2010 at 12:03 PM (Random Nonsense)
    Warm up
    - 400 swim
    - 200 kick
    - 300 back
    Transition
    - 6x50 catchup/fist
    Main Set
    8x
    - 25 ez on :30
    - 50 build on :50
    - 25 fast (2x :14, 6x :13)
    - 150 back
    Cool Down
    - Chris Stevenson Special

Each cycle of the main set took a little less than 5:00, but I wasn't paying too much attention to the exact times.

I synced up with the other fast lanes when they started the main set, and this is when my time dropped from 14 to 13. Coincidence?

Turnover speed was a problem this morning. Since the battery died in my tempotrainer, I will need to buy a new one if I want to use that to help work on this problem.

If I can swim a 23 mid, I should be able to swim 12s from a push, right?

It didn't feel like much got accomplished this morning, 8x25s isn't much, but I do feel a little tight in the chest and arms, so it must have been a decent 200s of work.

This was way over on the sprint side of the spectrum from where I normally train. I hope it was a good use of time.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  4. 8/27 Workout

by , August 27th, 2010 at 12:14 PM (Random Nonsense)
    Warm up
    - 6x50 drill swim*
    - 4x75 kick with fins (did an extra 50)
    - 4x150 ?? (don't remember what the end of warm up was)
    Main Set
    - 10x100 on 1:20 (first 1:07, rest 1:09/1:10, goal was sub 1:10, so I was a little slow)
    - 4x50 kick with fins on :45
    - 4x50 back on :50
    - 200 reverse IM
    - 2x150 on 2:00 (1:40, 1:40)
    Cool down
    - 200 back ez

* Swimming 50s during warm up is like pouring icewater down my pants. I don't do it because it is too cold. Swam non-stop drill swim.

Swam with Mark, Gerald and Anna on the main set today. Mark said he was just going to try to survive 1:20s and Anna made funny faces. All made it (Gerald did 75s).
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  5. Workout 8/25

by , August 25th, 2010 at 09:34 AM (Random Nonsense)
    SCY - Had the lane to myself until the last 400.

Warm up
    - 400 swim
    - 200 kick
    Transition
    - 4x50 odd back/free, even drill/swim
    Main Set
    - 4x150 on 1:50 (about 5s rest)
    - 300 back
    - 3x400 on 5:00* (4:48, 4:49, 4:42)
    Cool down
    - 200 ez

* Took a minute extra rest between #2 and #3 trying to break 4:40. Marshall dove into the lane as I was coming into the wall at the 200 and I got washed into the lane line. I should have swam faster.

This workout took me 44.5 minutes from the time I dove in until I started cool down. Dennis asked me if workout was short, since it only took him 48 minutes to get to the cool down and I pointed out that there is almost no rest in today's workout. We are also used to doing about 3100 LCM, so today's workout would have felt short even if there were more short distance sets adding to our rest.

Updated August 25th, 2010 at 12:39 PM by qbrain

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  6. 8/20 Workout, thoughts on speed and training

by , August 21st, 2010 at 01:08 PM (Random Nonsense)
    LCM

Warm up
    - 300 swim
    - 200 choice (back)
    - 300 pull (did back)
    Transition
    - 4x50 free/back
    Main Set
    - 300 free
    - 4x150 free on 2:45
    - 300 pull with buoy and paddles
    - 2x150 free on 2:45 (2:00, 1:56)
    -- more but had to get out
    Cool down

The lane was a cluster, speed and endurance levels were all over the place, so I made the 300s start on the finish of the 3rd person in the lane and the 150s on 2:45. There was actually a slower lane ahead of us, but this should be the last LCM practice until next summer.

Since the lane was in disarray, my goal was to maintain my pace at an uncomfortable level the entire main set. Only on the last 2 150s did I get my time, and I don't know if they were faster or slower than the rest of the set.

Speed and Training

LindsayNB posted this on one of the swimming with math threads http://www.teamtermin.com/docs/Journ...ationships.pdf

It is an article that Budd Termin wrote about a training method he used on his swimmers at the University of Buffalo. The focus of the training method is training swimmers to swim at their optimal stroke rate while maintaining their optimal dps.

Swimming Speed Simplified: There are two ways to get faster. Increase the length of the stroke or increase the turn over.

Focusing on this, Termin worked on increasing dps early in the season and then worked on increasing turnover the rest of the season. This is very very simple, and required very little training time to accomplish. Training consisted mainly of lots of short distance just trying to swim at a target turnover while maintaining dps. There were two types of practices, high velocity and recovery, with high velocity being the practices working on increasing turnover lasting 60 minutes and recovery focusing on easy technique for 30 minutes, plus warm up and cool down time. There were 2 high velocity days followed by 1 recovery day, 6 days a week, one practice a day. A surprisingly light load.

The study lasted for 4 years, and the cumulative improvement was 10% in the 100 and 200 free, the two events he had the largest samples of swimmers during the study. All strokes and distances improved, but it looked like they improved about half as well.

How can I use this? I have no desire to just copy the training plan, but the idea of tracking dps and turnover seems like a good idea. Identifying and training for a specific turnover for my 200 sounds like a great idea. Lacking Termin's setup, use a poolmate watch?

I understand very little about effective training, so I do suffer from the 'Oh shiny!' effect when I read about a new training methodology.

The entire training program is laid out in detail starting on the 4th page of the pdf at the bottom left with the heading Training paradigms.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  7. 8/18 Workout

by , August 18th, 2010 at 01:04 PM (Random Nonsense)
    Warm up
    - 400 free
    - 300 kick with fins and board
    Transition
    - 4x50 drill swim
    Main Set x4
    - 4x100 descend on (2:00 back, 1:50 free)
    - 2x50 descend on (1:00 back, :50 free)
    Cool down
    - 200 ez

The main set was supposed to be swam so that the first 50 was faster than half the last 100. I didn't go a very good job at this.

The first round of the main set we did back, but the guy behind me, a technically better backstroker*, misunderstood and thought we were doing 1x100 back. He tagged up about 15M from the finish, which threw both of us off because I didn't expect him to go that fast on the easy one, and he didn't think I would go that slow on the only back. That round was a cluster after that, and I don't think I got a single time that made sense. Pretty much a loss.

The last 3 rounds were free and originally I wanted to go sub 1:20 on all the 100s while still descending. It ended up 1:21 descended to 1:16 the first round, 1:24 descended to 1:15 the second and 1:24 descend to 1:13 the last round. The 50s were piss poor (39-40) on each round until the last when I went 37, 35.

Good: (1:16, 1:15, 1:13)
    Crap: (39, 39, 40,40, 37, 35)

LCM is almost over, but I think I would like to be breaking 1:10 on a set like this followed by 33,32 on the 50s.

It took until the first fast 100 free, about halfway through practice for my free to feel comfortable and my back never felt good.

I have been tired lately and I am not sure why. Plenty of sleep (~8 hours/night consistent), less frequent workouts than last season, easier weight workouts, so I am at a loss.

* He lacks my endurance
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  8. 8/16 Workout

by , August 16th, 2010 at 10:05 AM (Random Nonsense)
    We didn't have to put the long course lane ropes in! Of course, the pool is closed, so no one has been in the pool since our practice Friday

LCM

Warm up
    - 400 swim
    - 200 kick
    - 100 back
    - 100 waitforpeopletokindacatchup free
    Transition
    - 2x100 drill
    Main Set
    - 400 free (5:26)
    - 2x100 kick with fins and board
    - 2x200 free on 3:30 (2:33, 2:37)
    - 4x100 pull with paddles and buoy on 1:40 (all sub 1:20, 30/31 SPL)
    - 2x50 on 1:00 (supposed to be 8) (:37, :36)
    Cool down
    - 2x50 ez
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  9. 8/13 Workout

by , August 13th, 2010 at 12:40 PM (Random Nonsense)
    Meh, long course today.

Warm up
    - 200 swim
    - 300 back
    Transition
    - 4x50 drill/swim
    Main Set
    -- 1:40 base
    - 500 free
    - 5x100 free (was supposed to be pull)
    - 400 free
    - 4x100 back kick with fins on 2:00
    - 300 free
    -- See a pattern? I had to get out because of time.
    Cool down
    - 100 back

My pace was between 1:19 and 1:22 on the hundreds and probably sub 1:25 during the entire (free) main set. Not very fast considering the amount of rest I had.

Did 33 pushups.

No compliments today, Anna made fun of me, but I forgot the details.

Rant

I was highly annoyed last night when I found out that we would be long course again so the triathletes could get some more long course before the tri sprint hosted at the pool next weekend. All summer there would be no ropes in when we got there and I would usually unroll 5 of the 7 ropes, so the thought of pulling out 16 ropes and putting in 7 ropes had me considering skipping. We have between 30 and 40 people show up for practice but about 6-10 people either unrolled ropes or swam the ropes down the pool all summer. Last night the coach asked that people show up a little early to help switch out the lane ropes, and I was surprised, people showed up and helped.

Still, this cuts into the time I can spend swimming, so I dislike it. It isn't a problem short course, since people swim their own lane ropes, and they are rarely removed in the first place.

While I am in the middle of a rant, why were people wearing huge drag suits in my lane today? There were 4 people in the lane today, the 2 with drag suits that were board short sized, and those two didn't make the intervals. What benefit did the drag suits provide? I don't actually care, and am not upset that they did, it just seems dumb.

Monday should be the last day of long course nonsense.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts