View RSS Feed

Uncategorized

Entries with no category

1. Video Analysis day

by , December 30th, 2011 at 11:54 AM (Random Nonsense)
    Soup nazi says: No video for you!

Sorry, I don't have the video to post, but I look like an over stuffed sausage casing after holiday gorging so it is for the best.

The key things I noticed:
    - My hand sinks about 15 degrees before my stroke starts. That is a decent amount of drag I am creating.
    - I have no EVF. None. It was embarrassing. Propulsion does not being until half the underwater cycle is complete.
    - My fingers spread toward the end of my propulsion phase. Coach Dave commented that it looked like I was letting go of the water to keep pressure off my shoulders. Interesting idea. I was really surprised to see this.
    - I finish the underwater cycle pressing the water up. This wasn't too surprising after being told to finish my stroke as a kid and now I need to learn to release the water after the propulsive phase is over.

Things I am going to change:
    - Tuesday and Thursdays are now technique days (better use of 40 minutes of pool time anyway)
    - Sat and Sun will be LT and Sprint (probably not in that order)
    - Get a cheap gorillapod (or knock off) so I can set my waterproof camera on the bottom of the pool for regular review until I figure the catch out. (use on technique days)
    - Get a swim snorkel so I can pull without breathing and maybe watch my catch some.
    - Try to find a drill progression that works on EVF. I think there is one in Championship Swimming

Fixing EVF is hard and I left practice rather frustrated. This is not what I really want to be working on right now, but it is important enough that I will anyway. I thought I was moving in the right direction with my stroke and it seems like my catch has gone backwards since my last video review. On the plus side, fixing the sinking hand should be easier and will be quite beneficial. Fixing the spreading fingers won't be too difficult now that I am aware of it, and I am not sure about the releasing the water at the end of the stroke problem. It will probably be rather difficult to correct and it is an energy saving change so I am not going to worry about it too much.

Dave has some surprisingly good insight (surprising because it clicked immediately) about EVF to core to hips, but it was mostly a visual. Once I got back in the water and attempted EVF thinking about his gesture I noticed that catching early also snapped my hips. My stroke has gotten to be really flat in the hips, but trying to catch early and move water without dislocating my shoulder really resulted in a what felt like a quick 180 snap in the hips. Video will probably reveal that it is not as dramatic as it feels, which is good, because if it is as dramatic as it feels I am probably over compensating.

The good news: I am very happy with my hand entry, my right hand enters directly in front of my shoulder and pulls almost straight back, while my left hand has a good entry and a bit of S at the tail of the pull that needs to be worked out. These are both things I have worked on in the past, and improved. I also kicked! Quite surprising especially since I was supposed to take it easy so Dave could keep up with the camera.

Team Practice SCY
    Warm up
    - 400 free
    - 200 back
    Video Analysis
    - 100 free
    Warm up 2
    - 200 kick with fins
    - 2x100 right arm/left arm/catchup/fist
    Main sets
    - 4x100 with buoy focusing on EVF
    - 4x100 with buoy and paddles focus EVF (got down to 11 strokes from 13)
    - 4x100 kick
    - 4x100 free focusing on EVF
    Cool down
    - supposed to be 500 but just got out

EVF: Early Vertical Forearm - getting the hand and forearm perpendicular to the water surface as early as possible in the stroke.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Watch out or you will be run over by 1:10s

by , December 28th, 2011 at 09:12 AM (Random Nonsense)
    Team Practice SCY

Warm up
    - 400 free
    - 200 kick
    - 400 free
    - 2x100 drill (right/left/catchup/fist)
    Transition
    - 150 free 50 back
    - 150 free 50 breast
    - 150 free 50 fly
    Main Set
    - 6x150 on 1:45 (43,45,42,43,45)
    - 100 kick
    - 6x50 w/fins on 60 FAST (haha)
    -- first one fly
    -- 5x free (4x28,26)
    Cool down
    - 200 ez

Morning Humor:
    -- Coach Dave is filming people for the next couple weeks for stroke critique.
    -- As I was leaving the pool
    - Dave: I guess we will film you Friday.
    - Me: Good, I am too tired now anyway.
    - Dave: What have you been doing?
    - Me: Swimming with Josh.
    -- laugh track
    - Dave: Ah, we will film you right after warm up Friday.

I certainly didn't feel very recovered after yesterday's easy swim. On the second 150 I was trying to barely make the interval and cut it too close for comfort so picked up the pace. On the last 150 I was giving it all just to make the interval. We kinda slacked on the 50s until Josh took off on the last one and I could not catch him.

I think I will ask Dave to film Josh and I at the same time. We have completely different styles and Josh swam competitively for most of his life so reviewing his video and his commentary on my video should be interesting. I also think it will be almost as fast to film two people and then review two people as it is to film one person and review one person. A lot of time is wasted getting people in the water, setting up the camera, getting out of the water, reviewing.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Easy Aerobic

by , December 27th, 2011 at 09:14 AM (Random Nonsense)
    Lifetime SCM

Warm up
    - 400 free
    - 200 back
    - 200 kick w/board no fins
    - 200 back
    Main Set
    - 25 minutes easy continuous swim

The plan was to do a sprint workout today, but when I did the first sprint it didn't seem sharp and didn't seem to be max effort. I might have needed more warm up, or it might not be ideal to do a sprint workout the morning after weights, but training sprints without actually sprinting seemed pretty dumb.

Worked on turns.

Thursday we are going to try to get to the pool a little earlier to get a full hour in and I will make another attempt at a sprint practice.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Untitled

by , December 26th, 2011 at 07:53 AM (Random Nonsense)
    Team Practice SCY

Warm up
    - 200 free
    - 2x150 swim/drill/non-free
    - 200 kick w/fins
    Transition
    - 2x200 on 3:00
    Main Set
    - 2x200 free on 3:00 (2:16s)
    - 2x150 free on 2:15 (~1:41s)
    - 2x100 free on 1:30 (1:06s)
    - 2x50 free on :45 (31s)
    - minute rest
    - 2x200 pull on 3:00 (2:13, 2:10)
    - 2x150 pull on 2:15 (?)
    - 2x100 pull on 1:30 (1:05, 1:06)
    - 2x50 pull on :45 (?)
    Cool Down
    - 200 ez

My mind started to wander later in the pull sets and my times fell off.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. The worst present ever

by , December 24th, 2011 at 03:15 PM (Random Nonsense)
    That is how I felt after I opened my main set today.

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4a9CKgLprQ"]YouTube Challenge - I Gave My Kids a Terrible Present - YouTube[/nomedia]

Lifetime SCM

Warm up
    - 400 free
    - 200 back
    - 200 kick
    - 200 back
    Sprint Set
    - 6x25 12.5 sprint/12.5 ez on 60
    LT Set
    - 6x100 on 6:00 broken at the 50 and 75 for 15s
    -- 1:01, 1:01, 1:00, 1:00, 1:01, 1:01
    -- 100 ez back during rest
    Cool down
    - 150 ez

The very first one hurt about as much as I expected the 6th one to hurt. That was a rude start to my Christmas Eve set.

I was very happy with the set and was finishing the 50 at 30 high/31 low consistently to the point I think the differences in the first 4 was based on the couple tenths variance in my push off. Couldn't crack a 15 on a 25 today. The last two I felt like I was dragging and the 31s were probably no longer low.

Focused on the kick, but didn't really have the kick I wanted on the last 25s. My kick also seems to build during the 50 and my most productive kick seems to start around the 35 or just after the breakout transitions to normal. Something to work on during sprints.

Merry Christmas Christmas celebrators.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  6. Sprint Day - Team Relays

by , December 23rd, 2011 at 09:58 AM (Random Nonsense)
    Today's workout was about 100 minutes for me but very little yardage.

Team practice SCY

Warm up
    - 350 free
    - 200 kick with fins
    - 400 free
    - 200 IM
    Main Set relays
    - longest possible swim was a 100 free which I did
    - mostly 25s and 50s
    - mostly fun relays
    - no times
    - really great feeling 100 free, probably 55 diving from the side
    - really great 50 free, beat Josh
    - really great 45 free (see humor 2)
    - probably only 500 yards of swimming
    Cool down
    - 200 easy

Morning Humor:
    - Me: Josh, you lead, your fly is much faster than mine.
    - Josh: Only because I use two arms
    - Josh goes
    - Me: Just because he said that, I am doing drill.

Morning Humor 2:
    - relays were threatened with having kick boards thrown at them for cheating.
    - Last relay of the day was a 4x50 free that I was anchoring and we were dead last by quite a bit. I had an aggressive relay start (incoming swimmer was only 2M from the wall when I left) and I was having a great no breath swim from a side dive start, catching at least 2 over relays. At about 7 yards out my left hand hydroplanes about a yard and I stop not knowing wtf is going on. There are now all the kick boards in my lane, probably about 10. Obviously my coach is not an expert kick board thrower if I ran into a floater before he hit me.

Tomorrow's LT set: Based on input from my pseudo sprint coach, I think I will be doing 6x100 on 6 minutes broken 15s at the 50 and 75. This doesn't sound like very much fun, so it is probably good for me.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  7. 12 Days of Christmas (not swimaddict's nightmarish version)

by , December 21st, 2011 at 10:31 AM (Random Nonsense)
    Let's start with some excuses, whining and any thing else Geek finds inappropriate for a swim blog. Monday morning after my LT set, I felt like I woke up in a suit of armor, invincible and not very mobile. Oh, and my suit was still wet, so I skipped swimming. I am not even sure I had an excuse for Tuesday, just pure laziness.

Morning humor: Josh telling me why he missed Monday not knowing I wasn't there either.

Ok, today's workout was a decent aerobic workout, but I wouldn't put it in Hard Aerobic or Easy Aerobic.

Team Practice SCY
    - 1x50
    - 2x50 kick w/fins
    - 3x50 drill swim
    - 4x50 as 200 (2:17)
    - 5x50 kick w/fins
    - 6x50 free on 40 descend 1-3
    - 7x50 as 350 kick w/ fins
    - 8x25 on 30 25 free/25back
    - 9x50 on 40 descend 1-3
    - 10x25 w/fins (didn't work these like I should have)
    - 11x50 on :45 held 31-32 (supposed to be BC which Josh did and tried to keep up )
    - 12x25 ez

We didn't stop except for equipment change and the few sets with intervals. Very touch and go.

Saturday will be the next LT day. I am open to suggestions, but 10x50s might make a repeat. Sprint day tomorrow, Aerobic day Thursday which leaves me missing my easy aerobic day. I have not bought into the easy aerobic idea yet, so I am not too tore up about missing it.

Some sprint ideas. I really like the 12.5s fast, 12.5s easy on long rest and will probably do that frequently first thing after warm up. Other things that I think are sprint appropriate and plan to work on sprint days are break outs and fast turns. My streamline is good, but my timing of my kick and initiation of my first stroke needs work. For fast turns, dive turns probably wouldn't go over well at lifetime, but the shallow pool should allow me to push off the bottom for added speed into the turn. Are fins sprint train toys? Luckily I only have another week or so until the forums should have some regular sprint workouts being posted that I can steal
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  8. LT

by , December 18th, 2011 at 11:05 AM (Random Nonsense)
    Lifetime SCM

Warm up
    - 400 free
    - 200 back
    - 200 kick
    - 200 back
    Sprint Set
    - 6x25 12.5 AFAP/12.5 ez on 60
    LT Set
    - 10x50 on 3:00 (31,31,30,30,30,31,30,30,31,30)
    Cool down
    - 200 ez back

Again, the focus was on letting the kick drive the stroke. 31 is near my goal 200 pace, so I thought that would be a good target for the first LT set in forever and was surprised by my times as I thought 31s would be a struggle to maintain.

The set wasn't painful until #5, then it started. By #10 my face was tingling. My time from the Nov SCM meet was 27.5, so it would be a good to start seeing 29s on this set in the future.

I really need to work on my walls with regard to kicking. Today I was flutter kicking too soon off the wall when I should have been gliding or dolphin kicking.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  9. Sprint? workout; training plan and goals

by , December 17th, 2011 at 04:32 PM (Random Nonsense)
    Today was an experiment

Lifetime SCM

Warm up
    - 400 free
    - 200 back
    Main Set Sprint
    - 12x25 on :45 12.5 AFAP, 12.5 ez
    Main Set Kick
    -- 4x each 50 on 1:30
    - 25 sprint flutter kick/25 ez back
    - 50 overkick (12 beat kick, like 6/6 drill without pausing)
    - 50 Fast let kick drive the turnover
    - 50 overkick
    - 25 sprint dolphin kick/25 ez back
    - 50 ez back
    Cool down
    - 100 ez

I didn't feel very torquey on the 12.5s and I think I should have.

The goals of the kick set:
    - AFAP on the sprint kicks
    - over kick: put the focus on the kick without killing the legs
    - integrate the kick during the fast 50 by focusing on kicking as fast as possible with kick driving arm speed.

Sprinters (or sprint knowledgeable non-sprinters), please let me know if that is not a very sprinty workout. I should have been reading Fort's pool workouts for these last 3 years instead of skipping that section. Oops.

Training plan:
    - No periodization
    - Weekly break down: 2 hard aerobic, 1 speed, 1 lactate, 1 ez aerobic
    - 3 week taper
    - no ramp up (hard aerobic will not exceed 4k)
    - lift once a week
    - core twice a week
    - diet: no alcohol the night before morning workouts or competition days

Goals:
    -- Feb SCY meet
    - 50 free: 23.99
    - 100 free: 52.99
    - 200 free: 1:57.99
    -- Zones shave and taper meet
    - 50 free: 23 low
    - 100 free: 50 mid
    - 200 free: 1:54

Recent bests (Oct 2, 2010; same pool as Zone; not shaved/tapered/rested):
    - 50 free: 24.15
    - 100 free: 53.06
    - 200 free: 1:59.73

I think I am in the best 200 swimming shape I have been in a while, thus the higher expectation for the 200 in Feb.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  10. High level training ideas for Zones; todays team practice

by , December 16th, 2011 at 11:20 AM (Random Nonsense)
    Team Practice SCY

Warm up (800)
    - 400 swim
    - 4x100 build
    Transition (300)
    - 6x50s odd fly/back; even drill/free
    Main Set
    - 4x75 on 1:00
    - 50 kick no fins
    - 4x150 on 2:00 descend
    - 200 kick w/fins
    - 4x50 on 40
    - 100 reverse IM
    - 2x150 on 2:00
    - 4x75 on 1:00
    Cool down (200)
    - 200 ez
    - 5 starts off blocks, streamline only

Reading the workout initially, I thought it would be really choppy but it ended up being a solid aerobic workout.

Training for Zones (target meet):

Fort's committed to a meet checklist:
    1. Focus events
    2. Training program tailored to Focus events
    3. Goal times for Focus events
    4. Real taper, shave and fast suit
    5. Avoid trainning interruptions (vacations)
    6. Cross training plan aides swim training
    7. Diet Plan

1. My focus events are the 50, 100 and 200 free for Zones and I am still thinking about goal times.
    3. I think dream times are 22.99, 49.99 and 1:49.99 respectively, but Fort recommended good, great and dream. I will think about the goods and greats more. At this point I think the dreams are just that.
    5. I have laid out my trips for the beginning of next year and I will be potentially out of the water for a week in January and a couple days in Feb, but that is it and I believe I can minimize the rest.
    6. I am lifting minimally now, and will continue with that plan to focus on swim training without introducing anything like tour de France length stationary bike rides.
    7. No drinking the night before morning workouts. Eat enough good food at dinner to fuel the next morning workouts.

So the big variable right now is what to do about #2? I have 15 weeks of training left.

The traditional approach would be large block of endurance, a block of quality and short block of race specific and taper (5, 4, 3, 3). I am worried that this approach is too boring and does focus enough on racing. It works for age groupers because they don't know any better than they have swim meets every week in HS to see progress and get some race work in.

Quality and race specific are going to have a lot of overlap for me given my events, so a 3 week cycle, 2 endurance, 1 quality repeated until taper time might be an option.

The easiest option as far as planning going and integrating it with the team practices would be cycling daily. Something like team practices in Jan 2 endurance 1 quality, Feb 2 quality 1 endurance and Mar 3 quality transitioning to 3 tapers. My solo practices would follow a similar pattern. I am leaning towards this approach and would ask that the we crank the endurance team practices up to 4k.

My workout frequency will be 5 swims, 1 lifting, 2 core/week no matter what cycle.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  11. Dehydrated or catching a cold

by , December 14th, 2011 at 09:34 AM (Random Nonsense)
    Warm up
    - 500 free
    - 2x100 kick w/fins dolphin/right/back/left
    - 4x50 drill swim
    Transition
    - 4x150 build on 2:00 (1:53s)
    Main Set
    - 2x200 on 2:30 (2:20s)
    - 3x100 on 1:15 (1:12s)
    - 100 IM
    - 2x100 on 1:15 (1:10s)
    - 100 IM
    - 100 Fast (1:00)
    - 4x50 back w/fins on 45
    - 4x50 free on 40
    - 4x25 breath control (2 breaths for me)
    Cool Down
    - 300 ez

I was all over the place time wise today. The 150s were a struggle, drank some water and the 200s were fine, then faded through the 100s and limped the IM. Drank some more water, the 100s were ok and took a break after the IM before the fast 100. Drank more water and swam a good time on the 100. Coasted the rest of practice.

My dehydration theory is that the weather warmed up considerably (mid 60s when I woke up, 30s a few days ago) but I was still buried under 32 blankets last night. My diet was good, my sleep was decent and every time I took a drink of water I seemed to get a temporary boost in the pool today.

I don't feel sick, but that would be the obvious alternative explanation.

106 more days until my target meet, just over 15 weeks. I am considering the yet unannounced Intensive Training Camp in Walnut Creek the first weekend in March, 4 weeks before my target meet.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  12. Finally some aerobic with rest

by , December 12th, 2011 at 09:54 AM (Random Nonsense)
    I felt really good in the water today which surprised me after not cooling down after the relay meet, not swimming Sunday and consuming copious amounts of alcohol. I was even short on sleep, but it was probably post meet motivation to train hard.

Warm up
    - 350 free
    - 200 kick w/fins
    - 350 free
    Transition
    - 4x75 drill/free/drill
    Main Set
    - 300 free on 4:00 (3:28)
    - 3x100 kick on 1:20 (fins)
    - 3x100 free on 1:20 (1:06s)
    - 300 kick (fins)
    - 300 free on 4:00 (3:22)
    - 3x100 on 1:20 (1:04, 1:06, 1:04+)
    Cool down
    - 300 ez

Pretty happy with that.

Updated December 12th, 2011 at 11:30 AM by qbrain

Categories
    Uncategorized
  13. Christmas Relays

by , December 10th, 2011 at 05:37 PM (Random Nonsense)
    This is my favorite meet. Swam 6 relays in a little over an hour, only finished in the "candy" 3 out of 6. Luckily, Santa Jim came around and gave me a couple extras for being such a good little boy this year.

My only flat start was a 24.71. It was my 4th 50, but I have done 24.5s (but not recently) at the end of practice. The time is not a horrible time, but I expected to be 24 low to mid. I wouldn't be surprised if I had a couple of 21s with my relay starts but the meet results won't be published so I will never know.

I am pretty sure this meet is now completely unofficial as the judges needed for the times to be official weren't even present this year. Of course I took advantage of this fact and my step up starts started about the time the incoming swimmer hit the flags. As seriously as I took my cheating today, it made no difference in securing additional candy and all candy was won fare and square.

Top 2 lanes in every heat wins candy, so worst case there is a 33% chance of winning candy.

Christmas party tonight, I am in charge of drinks... We will see if that was a good idea or not
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  14. I forgot my towel... and my backup towel

by , December 9th, 2011 at 09:51 AM (Random Nonsense)
    That will teach me to wash my backup towel.

Warm up
    - 200 swim
    - 200 kick
    - 200 swim
    Transition (awesome for a change)
    - 4x150 free/back/fast free on 2:00
    Main Set
    - 2x200 on 2:30 (2:18, 2:16 iirc)
    - 4x25 back on 35
    - 4x25 breast on 35
    - 3x200 broken on 3:00
    -- 10s at the 100
    -- 15s at the 150
    -- 2:11*, 2:07, 2:07 (*thought it was 2:06, but I must have done the math wrong, the is no way it was faster than the second two (1:06, 1:03, 1:02 100 times))
    - 4x150 on 2:00 descend
    Cool down
    - 200 ez
    Starts
    - 2 starts and breakouts, calf cramped on the first one

The broken 200s were painful, I was happy with the times but I wasn't getting any more benefit from the 15s over the 10s rest.

It was VERY easy to descend the 150s because I could barely make the first one and recovered a little bit on each one

Morning Humor: Apparently we are taking a page from blufrog and recruiting for relays. Last night the coach sent out the relay assignments and there was someone I didn't know on there. Today was her first day of practice and apparently she swam for NYU as a backstroker.

Recruiting for this meet is meaningless (wrt ranking), the relay times weren't even submitted from last year. I am happy that we have more people swimming this year.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  15. This one was for Pete. No, the other Pete. The Real McCoy.

by , December 7th, 2011 at 09:39 AM (Random Nonsense)
    Team Practice SCY

Warm Up
    - 250 swim
    - 200 kick w/ fins
    - 250 swim
    Transition
    - 200 swim/catchup/fist/swim
    Main Set
    Choice of T1000, 5x200, 10x100
    - 10x100 on 1:10 (1:04*, 1:08, 1:08, 1:08, 1:08, 1:09, 1:09, 1:11 qbreak, 1:08, 1:13)
    -- big qbreak (about 2 minutes)
    - 4x150 free on 2:00 (PFS)
    -- equipment change
    - 4x150 free on 2:00 with paddles and buoy
    Cool Down
    - 6x50 back/free ez

We (Josh and I) were expected to do the T1000, but since we did it last month, so I thought we would pick something else and convinced Josh to take a shot at 1:10s. It wasn't hard to convince him, so something is wrong with him.

Morning Humor: After I told Josh I wanted to do 1:10s
    - Anna (who I swam with Monday): What? You did 1:15s Monday with me just to cater to my ego!
    - Me: I did 1:15s for a lot more than 10x100s Monday and neither of us are sure we can make 1:10s today
    - Josh is laughing at Anna
    - Me: But yes Anna, I do pick my intervals to cater to your ego.
    - Anna pushing off the wall (w kick board) giving me an eye roll: Of course you did!

Josh took off on the 100s a little fast I thought, but I was a little worried that maybe I was a little off so didn't let him get too far ahead. He was a body length ahead of me and I came in at 1:04. F! On #2 he was WAY ahead, on #8 we hit the wall at the same time Started being difficult around 5 and a better pace on the first one would have delayed that by 2 or 3.

After we finished coach said he had wanted to see how much we had improved on the T1000. A little late to tell us that.

* pmccoy special

PFS: Pretty Slow
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  16. Obese Oompa Loompa

by , December 5th, 2011 at 12:20 PM (Random Nonsense)
    I guess I need to cut back on this bottle tan stuff.

Team Practice SCY
    Anna swam with me some, no Josh or Marge (cold rainy weather this morning)

Warm up
    - 6x50 drill/swim
    - 200 back
    - 200 kick with fins
    Transition
    - 3x100 free/back/free/back
    Main Set
    - 4x200 on 2:30 (held under 2:20s)
    - 6x100 on 1:15 (1:11-12s)
    - 8x50 on 45 (33-35s)
    Cool down
    - 200 ez back/free

On the 200s, I concentrated on my race strategy, on the 100s I concentrated on holding it together. Let's just say yesterday's meal plan didn't involve much that would make for good training the next morning at 4am.

Sounds like we have enough interest for at least a couple relays for this years Christmas Relay. After spending the weekend in LA, the weekend before that was Thanksgiving, and the weekend before that was the swim meet... I was kinda hoping we wouldn't have any interest this year

Luckily, it is not a large time commitment and it is fun every year.

The title is making fun of chowmi and her pudgy fat comment, although after the last two weekends of overeating and drinking, it could quickly become a reality if I don't settle down. Luckily I am dashing in orange face paint.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  17. I swam today, but it wasn't very interesting

by , December 1st, 2011 at 03:48 PM (Random Nonsense)
    Lifetime Solo SCM

Warm up
    - 400 free
    - 200 back
    - 200 kick w/board
    Main Set
    - 10x50 free odd DPS/even Fast
    - 10x50 back odd DPS/even Fast
    Cool down
    - 3x100 ez

The goal of the 50s was to take the stroke count from the DPS 50 and try to match it on the Fast. Started out 15/18 and finished 15/16 on the frees (DPS/Fast) and was going 35-37 on the fasts. The 16th stroke was really necessary to keep the speed up into the turn and finish.

Sadly, yesterday I was gung-ho to do some hard sprinting. That feeling wore off while sleeping.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  18. Aerobic turkey burner

by , November 30th, 2011 at 10:25 AM (Random Nonsense)
    and after that there are plenty of wine calories to burn off. Lots of wine yoga this weekend.

I have not swam since 18x100s on 1:20 day (Friday). Over the holiday I was getting to bed 2-3 hours later than normal and getting up about 90 minutes later which didn't seem like a big deal until the 4am alarm went off Monday.

No Josh today, Marge picked a lane well away from mine so a fairly new guy swam with me. I think he will be fast when he gets back in shape and I base this on the fact he was dumb enough to do fly on the stroke parts of todays workout.

Team workout SCY swam solo (no one else on my intervals)

Warm up
    - 200 swim
    - 200 kick w/fins
    - 200 swim
    Transition*
    - 4x75 3rd 25 stroke
    - 4x100 3rd 25 stroke
    - 4x25 3rd 25 stroke
    Main Set
    - 4x200 on 2:30
    - 2x400 on 5:00
    - qbreak for equipment (exactly 60 seconds)
    - 800 pull w/ paddles at buoy (went 9:25)
    -- open turned at the 200s to check pace
    Cool Down
    - 4x50 ez

I thought about changing the 800 to 8x100 on 1:10, but I don't think it would have happened today. My right shoulder was a little loose today (like the arm wasn't tightly joined to the body) and my stroke after 4 days out required a little more thought.

Today was a workout experiment, where there was a longer alternative (2x200, 1x400, or what I did) to the main set. I think that worked out better than the typical bonus set where it is a separate main set that rarely has anything to do with the first main set.

* Has anyone else noticed that the "transition" set is almost always a misnomer?
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  19. Attempt 2 of 30x100

by , November 25th, 2011 at 02:45 PM (Random Nonsense)
    I felt surprising good this morning, so around 10:30 I headed to the pool, and decided if I felt good in the water would make another attempt.

Warm up
    - 400 free
    - 200 back
    - 3x100 on 1:40 (find 1:20)
    Main Set
    - 18x100 on 1:20 (made all)
    - 6x100 back on touch and go rest
    - 2x100 on 1:20 (missed second)
    - 20s waiting for top
    - 4x100 on 1:30 hold under 1:20 (made)
    Cool Down
    - 200 back ez

A little mental negotiation occurred resulting in cutting the set short at 18 (with yesterdays 12, that's 30 right?). I was going to finish up with 12x100 back but after 6 I wanted to pick up the pace. The problem was, I had fallen out of rhythm and my calf was on the verge of cramping, so I switched to 1:30. My calf cramped on the last 50 of cool down, so it was close.

Certainly not the original goal, but I don't think I will be making another attempt this weekend. Right now I am torn down enough that I know another attempt tomorrow will not be possible. I am ready to focus on something else for a while until making a run at 1:10s later in December.

So far, I think That Guy is the only one to do 30x100 in a single continuous set. That certainly says something about him, not sure if it is a positive or negative.

Random details:
    - pool was full the entire time
    - lady in the next lane was dancing down the lane. If she was hot it would have been more distracting, instead it was very odd. She was there the entire time.
    - planned on wearing a cap and using the tempo trainer set to 40s. Cap broke trying to put it on, so that didn't happen
    - water temp was 83 or 84. Not a problem but cooler would have been nice (warmer than yesterday)
    - air temp was high 80s or low 90s. Stopping on the wall after the set was DISGUSTING. No idea what the air temp was so high. So hot standing on deck in a brief before getting in was uncomfortably warm.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  20. What a Turkey

by , November 24th, 2011 at 09:31 AM (Random Nonsense)
    Today is lack of willpower day (Thanksgiving in Latin), and I thought I would have enough to do 30x100s on 1:20 scm? Idiot.

I was quite sore this morning from the swimsuit addict evil set and was carrying a Thai baby nearing full term when I arrived at the pool this morning about 5:30am.

Warm up
    - 400 swim
    - 200 back
    - 4x100 descend on 1:40 (goal find 1:20)
    - 50, 100, 50 screwing around wait for 6:10
    Main Set
    -- 6:10 30x100 on 1:20 finishes at 6:50
    - 12x100 on 1:20 (supposed to be 30 of course)
    - just quit; didn't even miss one
    - 100 qbreak
    - 3x100 on 1:25 (supposed to be 18)
    - called it a day
    Cool down
    - 200 back
    - 200 free

A couple things:
    - 30x100 is impossible without the right mindset
    - My aerobic threshold is very very close to a 1:20 pace scm
    - I think I would have failed to make the interval in the 17-20 range the way the set was progressing
    - I envy the bloggers who seem to consistently put themselves in the right mindset
    - I don't expect to feel well enough to swim tomorrow but the pool opens back up at 6am
    - pool was 82 (wasn't an issue, but warmer than the pool normally is)

Hopefully I can take another shot at this set this weekend. Tomorrow I believe I have the whole day to myself and would be ideal except for the over indulgence I know is forthcoming today.

Leaving on a high note: Today was actually a decent workout. 12x100 on 1:20 is something I have not done solo before and the swim worked the soreness out. My threshold pace scm was 1:22 this summer, so I am moving in the right direction.

Happy Thanksgiving!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast