View RSS Feed

Masters Swim Meets / Events

Meet / OW event plans and results from U.S. Masters Swmming events in this category.

1. Just thought I'd drop in

by , March 7th, 2012 at 03:48 AM (Swim like an Orca, but faster !)
    Insanity is defined, as the cliche goes, doing something the same way every-time, and expecting different results. If I put my workout routine up against this argument, then I'm insane.
    I was born to be tall and skinny, I lack the muscling required to be a great swimmer, yet I dive in, hoping the clock will reflect progress and some magic will happen in my power.
    Although I didn't compete in 2011 I did manage to get certified in scuba and restored a 1965 Venture 21 sailboat.
    So, my coach and I talked about my stroke, which is about as good as I can get it, but like I've blogged before, I lack the muscle mass and strength. So we plotted out a plan that includes morning planks, bur-pees and pull-ups, among other things. Right now I struggle with even 2 or 3 pull-ups.

I attended the Strawberry Canyon Aquatic Masters meet at Cal Berkeley and my times were nothing to brag about.
    200IM DQ (the lady judge said I touched one hand on the BR/FR transition...really?) But that was good, cause my time was 10 seconds over.
    100 FR - 1:02
    100 Bk -1:20 (I swam 1:17 a year ago)
    100 IM - 1:15 (no change in 2 years)

I've been training 200IM, 100 FR, 100BK and 100 IM. This year has been the first for completing a 400IM without stopping and doing more than 2 100 Fly's in training, so I'm making progress somewhere. albeit slow.
    And slow it is, as I settle with 50, I continue to swim, eat organic, (for the most part) exercise and try to engage with more aquatic activities to have more fun with growing older.
  2. Sac Pentathelon @ UC Davis

by , October 12th, 2009 at 08:01 AM (Swim like an Orca, but faster !)
    I haven't had much enthusiasm for blogging lately, this corresponds to yet another slump in my training. I passed through my First Year Competitive Swimming benchmark . Working nights, AT&T outsourcing more jobs to India and our home pool down for 3 weeks added to the disquietude of setbacks....
    1. Since my physiology isn't gifted and was never developed for competitive swimming at an early age, I have to work hard everyday to maintain a level of fitness that translates to faster swims.
    2. If I decrease the amount and intensity of my weekly workouts, my swim times suffer. I don't "retain" a level of potential.
    3. I haven't been lifting weights long enough to come to any conclusions, however they have been instrumental in getting through plateaus in specific areas of swimming.

About the Meet; Its 4 - 50's a 100 IM then team relay for medley and freestyle. This is Sacramento Masters meet and it well organized. This is my second time here.
    On the positives side, Dwight and Dr. Bob showed up, so I experienced some team camaraderie for a change. (Every meet thus far has been solo)
    50 Fly
    My goggles came off in the fly, I never had that experience, I slowed down and tried to just navigate. ( I was seriously considering stopping and resetting them!)
    50 Back
    My excuse here is my left shoulder, it wasn't cooperating , I just finished the race. Honestly though I did get 12 kicks off the start and was leading, it was amazing to watch everyone else surface behind me while I was still underwater, however that nirvana was short lived after my breakout as I watched arms and splash's catch up and pass me into the turn.
    50 Breast
    I dropped 5 seconds from a year ago, this is not bad considering I just learned the proper breaststroke over the summer.
    50 Free
    Different goggles...Going deep on the dive with about 10 hard and fast SDK's, just like in practice I didn't see anyone to the left or right. After breakout on the 3 stroke both eye pieces filled with water... it was worse than having no goggles at all, zero visibility. I kept looking up to time the turn on the wall; this total killed my momentum. I could actually feel being passed..really sick feeling I might add...
    100 IM
    All my transitions were bad, this is something I have been neglecting in training.
    Medley Relay
    I my first one, an unattached lady joined us and swam backstroke, Dwight swam breaststroke, Dr. Bob swam butterfly and I anchored with freestyle. We won by a lap, however they placed us in the first heat, so we were not really matched properly.

What I learned by watching & participating;
    1. Watching the other heats, I saw how leads were lost because some people take too long in their turns.
    2. Good strong and long SDK's are something only a few people really do, even in USA-S...It really can make or break a race.
    3. Just before your heat,push goggles into eye sockets until it hurts. Be focused a few minutes before the race, not spacing out.
    4. Everything is autopilot in the race, even bad habits.
  3. Modesto, Calif without a finger cot

by , August 15th, 2009 at 10:48 PM (Swim like an Orca, but faster !)
    Modesto Area Aquatics Club SCM
    Event Seed Result
    100 IM 1:33 1:24 1st
    50 FR :32.47 :30.78 3rd
    50 BK :41:59 :40.48 2nd
    50 Fly 39.12 35.28 2nd
    100 FR 1:10 1:08 2nd

My seed times were from the last SCM meet back in October 2008. Got ribbons and a cool goodie bag!
    I came in second in the 50 FR in my final/heat, he got me by half a body length, a second or two faster. Arms need to get stronger!
    I felt awkward on the back.
    Fly felt great, 2 beat kicks were right on... I just didn't have enough steak to propel me faster.
    Was worn out for the 100 FR, It felt like I was out there for a long time.
    I couldn't find a "Finger Cot" like the one Jim use's, so I used waterproof dressing tape for my finger, its amazing how one little injured finger can cause a distraction underwater.

Well my non-taper/pathetic workouts the week before the meet was 2 workouts Monday and Tuesday, I stayed out of the pool, after injuring my finger, on Weds and Thurs. I tried to return on Friday, however some strange group of lap swimmers lead by a even stranger coach (maybe they rented the pool from another high school?) had filled all the lanes. arrg!

Updated August 16th, 2009 at 04:54 AM by EricOrca (Catagorical correction)

Categories
    Masters Swim Meets / Events
  4. a little taper for this Saturday

by , August 14th, 2009 at 03:23 AM (Swim like an Orca, but faster !)
    I started both a week long taper and started building a shed for our animals this week.
    In a nutshell it was quite a workout, and my legs kept cramping up Monday and Tuesday during workouts. On Wednesday I got a deep cut on a finger, which kept me out of the water Wednesday and Thursday.
    Hopefully I can get a little workout later today to get loosened up for tomorrows meet.
    Its the first SCM meet for the Pacific LMSC.

Just read this on the Pacific website;
    MAAC SCM MEET
    ALMOST FULL

"The Modesto Area Aquatic Club's Short Course Meters meet is almost full. They are limited to 120 swimmers and so far 105 have registered. Registration will be open until 11:59 Thursday evening."

Im signed up for
    100 IM
    50 FR
    50 BK
    50 Fly
    100 FR

Updated August 16th, 2009 at 04:55 AM by EricOrca

Categories
    Masters Swim Meets / Events , Planning