View RSS Feed

Planning

Goals, Periodization, Lessons Learned

1. Oct 17th 2012 - What has it done for me?

by , October 18th, 2012 at 12:29 AM (Swim like an Orca, but faster !)
    When I was very young, about 4, I remember a sleeper wave knocking me down and pulling me out into the surf. The sea was forgiving or deliberate and deposited me back on shore, somehow I knew to hold my breath and deal with it. Since then I have had a relationship with water that has lasted me a lifetime. I continue to learn and grow and the water always seems to be a central part of who I am, besides the 70%.

Swimming. What has it done? Besides accelerating the natural wrinkling process of aging, swimming has got me toned and in shape, I left Aquasol in July 2012 and started with a weight lifting program that is concentrating on muscle mass and strength. Since my last negative post, I thought I would post something positive. I am getting stronger, people are noticing my muscle mass increasing a bit and I've turned the persistent body fat into lean muscle. I still have the motivation to swim fast so I swim one to two times a week at local drop-in lap swims.

I represent the obscure faces in the crowd who never got into the top ten, twenty or anything, who look forward to a workout because it something healthy to do and at the very least is keeping my cardio vascular systems in top shape. I gave up on being a competitive swimmer for now, because I just wanted to be in the race, not just a Ďhaving funí participant. I have decided on strength goals and when I hit them, like 30 pull-ups and 10x200lb. wide grip pull downs, (Iím at 8 pull ups and 2x10x140lb now) I will start timing my 50ís and 100ís to see where Iím at, then Iíll see about a meet. My swims are more about technique and are done at a moderate pace.

Although I really miss Coach Janine and Coach Steve and my lane buddies at Aquasol Masters, I know that if I return, I will be able to look at the clock and feel good about the swim. Otherwise I would be just a lap swimmer, which I am now, but nobodyís keeping up with me. Itís amazing how many people look like shark bait in the water, but I used to be there too.

The moral is donít give up, adapt, change it up, cross-train and keep the dream alive, even if itís just to swim a 100 free in :52, or a 100 Fly in :58Öthen youíll be in the race, that is, I hope to be in that race. I can say that the journey so far has been awesome, my health has changed and its been worth every workout and every struggle. I thank God for thatÖ
    Categories
    Planning
  2. Just thought I'd drop in

by , March 7th, 2012 at 02:48 AM (Swim like an Orca, but faster !)
    Insanity is defined, as the cliche goes, doing something the same way every-time, and expecting different results. If I put my workout routine up against this argument, then I'm insane.
    I was born to be tall and skinny, I lack the muscling required to be a great swimmer, yet I dive in, hoping the clock will reflect progress and some magic will happen in my power.
    Although I didn't compete in 2011 I did manage to get certified in scuba and restored a 1965 Venture 21 sailboat.
    So, my coach and I talked about my stroke, which is about as good as I can get it, but like I've blogged before, I lack the muscle mass and strength. So we plotted out a plan that includes morning planks, bur-pees and pull-ups, among other things. Right now I struggle with even 2 or 3 pull-ups.

I attended the Strawberry Canyon Aquatic Masters meet at Cal Berkeley and my times were nothing to brag about.
    200IM DQ (the lady judge said I touched one hand on the BR/FR transition...really?) But that was good, cause my time was 10 seconds over.
    100 FR - 1:02
    100 Bk -1:20 (I swam 1:17 a year ago)
    100 IM - 1:15 (no change in 2 years)

I've been training 200IM, 100 FR, 100BK and 100 IM. This year has been the first for completing a 400IM without stopping and doing more than 2 100 Fly's in training, so I'm making progress somewhere. albeit slow.
    And slow it is, as I settle with 50, I continue to swim, eat organic, (for the most part) exercise and try to engage with more aquatic activities to have more fun with growing older.
  3. September 19 2011 -

by , September 20th, 2011 at 01:10 AM (Swim like an Orca, but faster !)
    Aquasol - 5:30pm 6:45pm
    Coach Janine -

Warm 2x100FR, 200IM drill, 100K, 100P (600)
    4 Vertical Kick for 1:00 FR,Fly,FR,Fly
    200 Fly
    200 Back
    200 BR
    200 FR
    200 IM Repeat on 4:00 (1000/1600)
    6x100 P on 1:30 (600/2200)
    20x25 Sprint (500 did 250/2450)
    200 cool
    My hamstrings were threatening a reprisal, but I was able to beat it back with low calorie G2 Non-High Fructose Corn Syrup Gatorade, didnít want to push it. I signed up for the 38th Annual Sprint Short Course Meters Pentathlon at UC Davis. After 2 years (2008 & 2009) of humiliating dead last finishes in just about all the events (50 Fly, BK,BR, FR & 100IM), Iím hoping on doing what Iím doing in practice at the race, I havenít wrote out my best sprint times, because I donít want to stress on self-expectations or jinx it, although I donít believe in such things, I just know if I waltz in over confident, I wonít give it my best. I havenít done a meet this year, so I figured Iíd start out my new aged group with a bang.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts , Planning
  4. Wednesday July 21, 2010 workout

by , July 21st, 2010 at 11:31 PM (Swim like an Orca, but faster !)
    Aquasol 5:45 - 7:20pm

Cooler, about 88 today.

Warm(750)
    150FR, 200IM Drill, 50FR K, 50BK, 50BR K, 50FR, 50Fly K,
    50BR, 50BK K, 50 fly
    75's 5 off 1:10 early set (750/1500)
    10x75FR on 1:05 (:54 - 1:00) This set got painful.
    transitions set (650/2150)
    12x50 Fly/BK, BK/BR, BR/FR on 1:00
    50 ez
    Drills (1050/3200)
    20x50 Odds single arm rt/25, lt/25. Evens swim on 1:00
    50ez

50 cool

Tried the Pure Sport Recovery for a pre-workout and got the lead/heavy feeling through the first 2 sets, then I felt much better going into the drill set. As soon as I'm able Im going back on G2 workout or Cytomax for my pre-load.
    Pure Sport may be OK for Mr Phelps (like he really uses it) but for this ol' fish, I'll use whatever works, as long as its drug-free.
    The Sonora USA meet is in about 2-3 weeks, coach wants me to max out on the events which I think is 6 or 8, she said don't worry about times or messing up, but I would like to better my 50, 100 FR and 100Im times. This meet will be the first time I will do 200IM and 100BK SCY.
  5. 11-04-09 a little Gym & Swim

by , November 5th, 2009 at 01:41 AM (Swim like an Orca, but faster !)
    Lords Gym A.M.
    2x5 Pull-ups and dips w/ 60 lb assist
    2x12 & 1x8 Incline chest press DB 25lbFast 35lb
    3x12 curls 25 Fast
    3x12 Overhead lying down triceps 35 DB Fast
    3x8 Flys 10 Faster
    3x8 Overhead 10 Very Fast
    3x12 Narrow grip row 90 100 not so fast
    3x12 Lat pull downs 90 Fast
    1x12 Hanging knee raises .

Legs and arms were still very sore and it was hard to walk due to adding heavy leg presses & bear crawls to the routine on Monday.

UMHS - 5:30-7:30
    Warm 2x100, 100P, 100K (Coach kept asking if I was warm, so I kept the warm up short this week)
    Drill
    10x50 Capt Nemo drill (same as yesterday, but I gave it a name)
    Pull
    5x100 FR Pull on 1:45 ( was avg 1:20) used small paddles, loaned my big paddles to Dr. Bob
    Kick
    6x75 K BK dolphin/side dolphin/other side dolphin on 1:30 (core and legs were shot, had to do them on 2:00 w/ fins)
    Sprint
    was given
    20x50 from blocks 25 100%/ 25 EZ 5 ea, IM order. (Did 5 Fly (~:12-:14), 2 BK (:18) and 1 FR(:13), seniors were wrapping it up)
    50 cool
    I have been working on fixing my fly kick; now I have 2 kicks and don't even think about it. Continuing to work on keeping pinky's up (or thumbs down) and got some great coaching on transitioning from dive/SDK to first stroke.
    Trying to keep the training intensity up to break through this annoying plateau.
    Reno meet in 4.5 weeks; not a big meet, the great swimmers avoid this one, however for me a relatively "poor" swimmer its a good training/set NEW benchmarks meet for the SCY season.

Updated November 5th, 2009 at 11:30 AM by EricOrca

Categories
    Swim Workouts , Strength Training and Dryland Workouts , Planning
  6. Monday Oct 26

by , October 27th, 2009 at 12:19 AM (Swim like an Orca, but faster !)
    AQUM - 5:30-6:45
    Union Mine High school outdoor SCY.
    Coach Janine and the Aged Groupers.

(Yesterday I did 2500 SCM at the Swimstitute. Broken 100 IM's and sprints)

Warm -700 (200FR, 200K, 200P, 75FR, 25 BR)
    Main
    2x200FR Neg Split on 3:00 (1:17, 1:16-1:18,1:17)
    2x200BR neg split on 3:30
    2x200BK neg split on 3:30
    4x100Fly neg split on 2:00 (Did 50swim/50drill, arms falling off,
    Sprint
    8x25 on 3:00 w/fins (6FR, 2Fly. 5-:11's 1-:10, 2-:12's) work on no breath, the last 4 I got it.
    100 cooldown
    2600 scy
    Starting tomorrow on my solo days, I will be working on either sprint sets or conditioning e.g. 4000+ sets. Ive been "just surviving" in my long workouts, so my slow twitch muscles are happy and fast twitch are sorely neglected. Since I'm always entering 50's and 100's, I have to pick up the pace. My gym routine for the past month has been all fast twitch, rapid fire sets and lots of jumping around!

I'm blogging sporadically now, so the local's will not think I died or sometime. I have returned to the old fashioned way of writing in my log, so I can instantly reference and annotate it.
    I still use the FLOG, as it is perhaps one of the best tools any athlete can use to get a global view of their progress and pitfalls.
    In other news:
    Interesting to note on the front page of the USMS web-site is a story about Bill Miller, swimming whilst unemployed.
    Last Monday I received a 60 day surplus notification...for the past 10 months we have been actively training Indian's in India to basically take our jobs, it was something we were reviewed for.
    AT&T has nearly outsourced its entire IT to India and the trend continues.
    Walt Whitman wrote "Behold I do not give lectures or a little charity, When I give I give myself." I look back on the time I have invested in the company and feel a part of me is being "outsourced." There is a slight chance I can find another position in the company, however the boom of the IT profession is over, if it can be done on a computer, there's someone in India who can do it for $3000 a year.

Updated October 29th, 2009 at 05:48 AM by EricOrca

Categories
    Swim Workouts , Planning
  7. a little taper for this Saturday

by , August 14th, 2009 at 02:23 AM (Swim like an Orca, but faster !)
    I started both a week long taper and started building a shed for our animals this week.
    In a nutshell it was quite a workout, and my legs kept cramping up Monday and Tuesday during workouts. On Wednesday I got a deep cut on a finger, which kept me out of the water Wednesday and Thursday.
    Hopefully I can get a little workout later today to get loosened up for tomorrows meet.
    Its the first SCM meet for the Pacific LMSC.

Just read this on the Pacific website;
    MAAC SCM MEET
    ALMOST FULL

"The Modesto Area Aquatic Club's Short Course Meters meet is almost full. They are limited to 120 swimmers and so far 105 have registered. Registration will be open until 11:59 Thursday evening."

Im signed up for
    100 IM
    50 FR
    50 BK
    50 Fly
    100 FR

Updated August 16th, 2009 at 03:55 AM by EricOrca

Categories
    Masters Swim Meets / Events , Planning